Keeping a gun hidden with pocket carry - Page 2

Keeping a gun hidden with pocket carry

This is a discussion on Keeping a gun hidden with pocket carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by EW3 I can't really see it, but I'm assuming you have the stock grips? They are too long IMO. You should think ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keeping a gun hidden with pocket carry

Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    I can't really see it, but I'm assuming you have the stock grips? They are too long IMO. You should think about getting a smaller grip like Hogue's Bantam grips:

http://www.getgrip.com/main/overview/revolvers.html

While it may be a result of the specific pocket, I agree with EW3. The stock grips, if that is what you have, are too long.

Look at getting the Bantam Grips or any other brand of "Boot" grip. This style of grip ends flush with the bottom of the handle.

I have them on a K-Frame Model 10, and they make a difference:

http://www.eaglegrips.com/secretservice.htm

ccwguy
    Last edited by ccwguy; November 8th, 2007 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Added photo.

VIP Member
    I have boot grips on all of my K frames- but it just isn't enough to hold onto on my j frame. I'd just started buying pants that pass the pocket carry test in the dressing room.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    My opinion is that the exposed folder in your back pocket is a bigger "tell" than the sight of something black in the front pocket. Virtually every one of us who conceals a pistol has a folder too. I keep my folder and my wilderness belt concealed as rigorously as my IWB pistol.

You also mentioned that a desired quality on that pistol is the long grip. I have found grip length to be the most significant factor in concealing the pistol (as I converted from mainly carrying my G21 to mainly carrying my G27 )

I usually carry a 640 with the original grips in a Desantis Nemesis holster.

I have no problem with the grip being visible wearing either dress pants or dockers.

However, I have gotten into the habit of checking the look and feel of the gun & holster in any new pants before buying them.

I'm with you about the grip. One reason I like the gun is that the grip keeps me from having my pinky waving in the wind.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

A shoulder holster is another option. A lot of people don't like them, and unfortunatly it's an expensive option if you end up not liking it. Works for some, but not everyone. I personally like them.

Last time I was in NYC I wore my Miami Classic for 6 days straight, and it worked perfectly. Being in the winter helped also.
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

xsquidgator said:

I have the same situation. Even if you leave it like that, no one is going to notice. If someone does notice it, they'll think it's the top of an iPod or a phone or something.
    Quite frequently, in threads dealing with concealment strategies, blanket statements like this will be posted. Each time, I marvel at the confidence expressed in the obliviousness of people in general. Yes, some wander around in a fog, but there is no shortage of shrewd, observant people out there. To instill false confidence in someone seeking advice about an obviously unacceptable concealement strategy is unhelpful at best, and at worst could result in a very uncomfortable experience for the OP should the wrong person notice it and decide to misrepresent the situation to the local police with a "man with a gun" call.

Do you want to structure your carry methods around the best or worse case scenario? Admittedly, short of not carrying at all, there is no way to guarantee not being made; but it's definitely possible to manage risk so that the likelihood is very small.

In the OP's photo, not only is the weapon not concealed well - to my mind it's not concealed at all, since part of it is clearly visible to someone standing in the right place. Even with IWB (which I don't think too highly of, by the way), at least the covering garment does hide the gun, though all it takes is something it (wind, a hand) for the gun to be exposed.

I've pocket carried for over a year and only one person EVER has noticed...
    This is another thing that gets blithely repeated, almost verbatim, in these threads from time to time. I'm wondering if you might humor me by answering one question: How do you know how many people have noticed? Given that it's impossible to know what another person sees and thinks, I'm confused about the source of your assurance.

philbert2.71828:

My .02 is that J-frames are not pocket guns, though if you're committed to carrying it that way, the boot grips that others have suggested should be your first move. But the grip is still going to stick out (to the side, through the pocket material) like a sore thumb even if nothing is visible looking into the pocket from above. This is especially true considering the fact that it seems (from your self-description) that you are of the tall, slender type.

There are other methods of carrying that piece that do a better job, and will give you more confidence in your concealed status and therefore peace of mind. Others above have discussed some of them, SmartCarry in particular.

Try IWB with a Tucker Gunleather Tuckable type holster. Wear it at about 4:00 with your shirt pulled out a little and nobody will notice. I have sat next to a table full of LEO's for lunch and nobody noticed.

http://www.tuckergunleather.com
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Ron
    I pocket carry a S&W 642 in a Mika pocket holster in every type of pants and shorts and have never had a problem with the gun being visible, or printing gun. I have the Crimson Trace Model 405 laser grip, which I think is a bit shorter then the standard grip.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

I had a couple of pair of trousers with that problem. I just took them to my local seamstress and had that pocket deepened and while she was at it, reenforced.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Buy pants with a deeper pocket. It's amazing what will fit into a pocket. I always use a holster when carrying in a pocket.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    +1 on smart carry

BUT

I carry a SW642 in my pocket ALOT, and have never had anyone say anything. I often wear pants as the ones in the picture, and if I get into a crowd, I just slip my hand in my pocket as I move through or stand a chat. Most people won't notice it, and the rare one that does probably won't know what they are really looking at.
    Carry awhile, and experiment, as you do....I bet your confidence with grow, and your cautiousness about pocket carry your 640 is decrease.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Use different pants. I only have one pair that does that. I pocket carry a Glock 30 or a 26 and I don't have problems 9/10th of the time. Just make sure to take the biggest gun you'll pocket carry along when buying new clothes.

Smartcarry works, too. Have one of those, works great, don't use it as much as pocket carry though 'cause it's a pain in the ass, still I'm glad I have one, it lets me carry in situations I couldn't otherwise.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington

...we are NOT a free people.

To the original poster: I sure wouldn't worry about the wrong person seeing that J-frame in your pocket. I'd worry about evil eyes taking advantage of that shiny knife in your back pocket that is easily accesible. Be careful!

Quote Originally Posted by tabraha View Post
    I'd worry about evil eyes taking advantage of that shiny knife in your back pocket that is easily accesible. Be careful!
    Yeah, maybe that's not the best place for it. I'm quickly running out of pocket space now that I carry a gun and I'm still trying to find places to put everything.

Trust me I can completely sympathize with that!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links