Keeping a gun hidden with pocket carry

This is a discussion on Keeping a gun hidden with pocket carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought my first gun this week (S&W 640, J frame) and plan to carry concealed. I was originally planning on pocket carry (with a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping a gun hidden with pocket carry

Keeping a gun hidden with pocket carry

I bought my first gun this week (S&W 640, J frame) and plan to carry concealed. I was originally planning on pocket carry (with a holster) but I've noticed that the back end of the grip is visible from behind or above. It's hard to see in the picture but the black thing is my gun. Click the image for a larger version.

The pockets of those pants are about 7 inches deep. If I take the gun out of the holster, it slides down farther into my pockets so that you can't see it anymore, but then it prints and besides, I want to use a holster.

How should I deal with this? I've thought about deepening my pockets, getting a different pocket holster, or carrying inside my waistband instead. The reason I wanted to pocket carry is that I sometimes have my shirt tucked in and still want ready access to my gun. I ride my bike to church (with my shirt tucked in) through a part of town that isn't entirely safe. I'm not sure which would be faster when I'm on my bike: to draw my gun from my pocket or to untuck my shirt and draw my gun from an IWB holster.

Also, I think the bulge of an IWB holster might be too noticeable on me because I'm 6'3", 145 lbs. If I pocket carry, I suppose most people won't be paying enough attention to look inside my pockets and recognize that I have a gun, but I don't want to take any chances. Any thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

Look at Smartcarry.com I think that you will find that it will meet your needs. If you need a quick draw while on your bike you can move your firearm to your pocket.

When I pocket carry my Taurus PT145 and the pockets aren't deep enough, I just wear a longer shirt that will cover the top of the pocket. You still have easy access and the shirt keeps the gun out of site.

You can find dress shirts or polos out there that you don't have to tuck in.
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

Just tell people you're happy to see them!
    Ok, I know. Old joke. I just felt like puttin' it out there.
    Taggart Snyder
    Man about town...

In my home state "Missouri" it's not leagl to carry into a church anyway. Better check your state and local laws.

Stay alert, lets not all become
    "Any pistol you carry for personal protection is fine.....as long as it starts with a 4 and ends with a 5."

Quote Originally Posted by Para 45 View Post
    In my home state "Missouri" it's not leagle to carry into a church anyway. Better check your state and local laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Revised Statutes 571-107
    (14) Any church or other place of religious worship without the consent of the minister or person or persons representing the religious organization that exercises control over the place of religious worship. Possession of a firearm in a vehicle on the premises shall not be a criminal offense so long as the firearm is not removed from the vehicle or brandished while the vehicle is on the premises;
    It's _not_ illegal to carry at a Church in MO, as long as it's OK with the Church leadership.

The pocket is plenty deep, but the angled top is showing the grips. A different pair of pants, with a straighter pocket opening, should fix the problem.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

I have the same situation. Even if you leave it like that, no one is going to notice. If someone does notice it, they'll think it's the top of an iPod or a phone or something. I've pocket carried for over a year and only one person EVER has noticed (my mom noticed the bulge of my pocket holster in my front pocket and asked while I was getting out of the car. Out of habit I just replied "it's my PDA", well, it *is* a Personal Defense Assistant isn't it?)

On occasions like denser crowds for instance, say as in church (legal in FL), I'll cover the pistol backstrap with a handkerchief or a bandana loose over the top. But the majority of the time, I just leave it like you have yours in your picture and go on with what I'm doing.

I'm quoting myself from an earlier thread because of similar concerns about carry guns, holsters, and where to carry comfortably under different conditions. a pocket holster is fine for some conditions but has limitations. and I found it hard to find "one holster" to fit all the different needs. so explore the wide variety of holsters on the market and pick some that fit your lifestyle and comfort needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruz View Post
    These are my carry guns with the holsters I use most, they are not expensive by any means. and through trial and error I found what works for me.

Colt Officers ACP
    Smith & Wesson 649-5
    Smith & Wesson 637-2

EW3
    I can't really see it, but I'm assuming you have the stock grips? They are too long IMO. You should think about getting a smaller grip like Hogue's Bantam grips:

http://www.getgrip.com/main/overview/revolvers.html
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    it's the cut of the pocket on those particular pants. I find that all pockets are not created equal. The extreme slant on that pocket edge is what's doing it.

Take care and God Bless
    Gideon

PS, I'm a Pastor and concealed carry is allowed at our church

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    it's the cut of the pocket on those particular pants. I find that all pockets are not created equal. The extreme slant on that pocket edge is what's doing it.
    I agree. Docker type pants work well for me. The main thing is having a big enough opening (at least 6 inches) to get a proper firing grip on the gun.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

In my home state "Missouri" it's not leagl to carry into a church anyway. Better check your state and local laws.
    I looked into that but the relevant law (for Virginia) is a bit vague:
    If any person carry any gun, pistol, bowie knife, dagger or other dangerous weapon, without good and sufficient reason, to a place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place he shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.
    Well, every couple months there's another murder in that part of town, so I'd consider that a good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    I can't really see it, but I'm assuming you have the stock grips? They are too long IMO. You should think about getting a smaller grip like Hogue's Bantam grips
    Actually, part of the reason I bought the gun is because its grip is longer than usual. Many of the other guns I looked at had a grip that was only long enough to hold with two fingers, and the gun didn't feel as secure in my hand with my little finger not holding onto anything. Maybe a shorter grip wouldn't be a problem but I'd like to keep the stock grips if I can. I guess the trade off is that it's not as easy to conceal that way.

Thanks for all your replies. There's a lot of factors to consider so I guess it might be a while before I settle on my favorite way to carry. I might look into getting some pants that have a different cut on the pockets, since that's part of the problem here as a few people pointed out.

One other thing: does anyone here carry in their cargo pockets? I tried that just now and it worked fine. My pocket holster fits my cargo pocket and it's impossible to see the gun. The only problems I can think of are that the gun does swing back and forth a bit when I walk, which might get annoying eventually, and I can't get a particularly fast draw since I have to reach down farther and then undo some velcro straps before I can reach my gun.

Quote Originally Posted by philbert2.71828 View Post
    I looked into that but the relevant law (for Virginia) is a bit vague:

Well, every couple months there's another murder in that part of town, so I'd consider that a good reason.

Actually, part of the reason I bought the gun is because its grip is longer than usual. Many of the other guns I looked at had a grip that was only long enough to hold with two fingers, and the gun didn't feel as secure in my hand with my little finger not holding onto anything. Maybe a shorter grip wouldn't be a problem but I'd like to keep the stock grips if I can. I guess the trade off is that it's not as easy to conceal that way.

Thanks for all your replies. There's a lot of factors to consider so I guess it might be a while before I settle on my favorite way to carry. I might look into getting some pants that have a different cut on the pockets, since that's part of the problem here as a few people pointed out.

One other thing: does anyone here carry in their cargo pockets? I tried that just now and it worked fine. My pocket holster fits my cargo pocket and it's impossible to see the gun. The only problems I can think of are that the gun does swing back and forth a bit when I walk, which might get annoying eventually, and I can't get a particularly fast draw since I have to reach down farther and then undo some velcro straps before I can reach my gun.
    + 1 On the cargo pants. I gave up on using those pockets for anything valuable after forgetting a $500 camera in one and running it through the washing machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Vested View Post
    Look at Smartcarry.com I think that you will find that it will meet your needs. If you need a quick draw while on your bike you can move your firearm to your pocket.
    +1 on this; by far my most versatile and concealable holster.

You may find that a combination of techniques will be necessary. With those "slash cut" pockets, you have quick access but concealment suffers. If you need to dress light or are going to work out, the SmartCarry likely will work well. If you're helping a friend move household goods in the winter, you really might want to take a belt rig that day (cheap one might work fine for that). Etc, etc...

The only drawback with SmartCarry is speed of draw. But it's quicker than running back home or digging around in a bag. :)

Mo church carry

Please read the law in Missouri again, as it is not against the law to carry in church. I carry every Sunday. Just have to assure you have the permission to do so. Luck.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links