Traveling to N.C.

This is a discussion on Traveling to N.C. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Roadtrip to NC from Florida.I am concerned about SC,should I lock it in the trunk,also if stopped should I inform LEO in advance that I ...

Thread: Traveling to N.C.

Traveling to N.C.

Roadtrip to NC from Florida.I am concerned about SC,should I lock it in the trunk,also if stopped should I inform LEO in advance that I have a weapon. Thanks. P.S.---Yes I have a permit.

2. Remove Ads

Assuming your permit is in Florida, SC does not recognize it. Keep you weapon locked away in the trunk for good measure.

If your weapon is locked in the trunk, with no ammo touching any part of the gun (i.e. mag unloaded), you should be legal to drive through any part of the country, with no duty to tell any LEO anything. If you want to keep the mag loaded, then you should check the local regs to be sure that is ok.

I suggest mag unloaded, gun locked, and ammo separate from weapon because that is what it takes to transport a gun in CA. I know the question is specifically about driving through SC, but by taking the extra step of unloading a mag you should be assured of being legal everywhere and removing any necessity to notify anyone anywhere, any time. And, unless you are planning on getting into a gunfight just after leaving SC, it takes very little time to reload a mag, right...?

Just a thought.
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

I'm fairly certain anyone can carry a loaded pistol in SC in either the console or glovebox (resident or not & permit holder or not)..

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USRVCarCarry.pdf

I was told recently by a NC CCH instructor that this pertains to loaded weapons...

YMMV!

Matt

http://www.scstatehouse.net/code/t23c031.htm
    If you want to read the laws for yourself

While SC does not officially recognize Florida’s CCL, as long as you’re peacefully traveling thought the state, and do not exit your vehicle with the firearm, no one is going know much less give you a hard time.

But, if you want to be perfectly legal, pull the clip and lock it in your trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by 331hemi View Post
    Roadtrip to NC from Florida.I am concerned about SC,should I lock it in the trunk,also if stopped should I inform LEO in advance that I have a weapon. Thanks. P.S.---Yes I have a permit.
    While traveling through SC simply put your gun either in the glove box, console or trunk. If in the trunk it need to be in some kind of container. You do not have to unload it or anything like that, just in glove box or console. In SC if you have a permit you are required to notify LEO if stopped but since SC doesn't recognize FL permits that will not apply. However if you are stopped it is always a good idea to not go fumbling around in your glove box looking for your registration if you have a gun in there. Simply tell him that your registration is in the glove box and there is a gun in there. "What do you want me to do?" You may run into the occasional butthole but most are cool about it. SC is not an open carry state even in your car.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I make this trip a lot.
    SC is a pain.
    A State Trooper told me the glove box thing was fine.
    But if you have the gun there put the registration and insurance card someplace else.
    Supposedly SC is working on recognition of Fla. CCW's.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

As stated above. No problem. Pistol in glove box or console or trunk if you prefer. Just not on the seat, under the seat, etc. It can be loaded. I would advise the officer so that there are no surprises. I also would keep my registration, license, and insurance info somewhere other than where your weapon is located. Even though your FL CCW isn't recognized in SC, the fact that you have one may help relax the officer a bit, althoug it's up to you wether you tell them or not. I would just say," Hello officer, here is my information and my FL CCW, I am not carrying on my person but my weapon is secured in the ....". Most of all don't get stopped and this is a mute point. I travel the interstates of SC daily and most are like freakin racetracks. You gotta be going pretty dang fast or doing something pretty boneheaded to get stopped. You can't help if you are in an accident or something, but just keep your speed under 10mph over the posted limit, use you rsignals, wear your seat belt, and make sure your equipment isn't faulty (which you should do before a trip anyway). Good luck and enjoy your trip!

-RD62

You have to inform in NC. Your FL permit is good here.

Links