Lawyers; In The Event Of... - Page 4

Lawyers; In The Event Of...

This is a discussion on Lawyers; In The Event Of... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Echo_Four It is unlikely that you'll find a lawyer that specializes in CCW work. There simply aren't enough cases to make a ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Lawyers; In The Event Of...

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    It is unlikely that you'll find a lawyer that specializes in CCW work. There simply aren't enough cases to make a living. The best lawyer to use is the one local LEOs use if involved in a shooting. They know what to look for. And, they'll probably clue you in if you ask.
    That's why I have the number of the attorney who represents our local FOP. The firm is out of the area politically but represents our local officers when they have "issues".
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitmaster View Post
    That's why I have the number of the attorney who represents our local FOP. The firm is out of the area politically but represents our local officers when they have "issues".
    This reply got me to thinking... maybe the Police Union could point us to their preferred Defense Attorney(s) in our areas?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post

Like doctors, many lawyers tend to specialize in a particular area of the law. I agree fully with the suggestion that, if at all possible, you want an attorney who either specializes in, or who, at least, does a lot of CCW defense work.
    As most people with carry permits tend to be law abiding individuals who obey the rule of the "three stupid’s" in that they do not go stupid places, hang out with stupid people or do stupid things, a lot of work is not forthcoming from that population for the simple reason they aren't getting in trouble all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    This reply got me to thinking... maybe the Police Union could point us to their preferred Defense Attorney(s) in our areas?
    I think the answer you would get is “Why? Are you planning to get in trouble?”

In regards to choosing counsel be aware that the police do not usually chose attorneys because they are the ones who defend "the good guys"...they chose them because they are able to handle stick, dirty, nasty situations in which a police officer is alleged to have done something to turn him from a police officer into a criminal defendant.

You get no points because your attorney's other clients are (or were) municipal employees.

Additionally, don't get sold on the idea that you want a former state or federal prosecutor. Prosecuting is different from defense work. Just because someone was successful as a prosecutor, doesn't mean they are the one you want as a defense attorney. Mind you, many do make the transition successfully and are great at it, but it should be A factor in your choice of counsel, not THE factor.

So...

How do you chose counsel?

Send me $50 and I'll tell you in email...OK. OK...put the gun down...no sense of humor...

You ask.

You ask at the shooting range if any attorneys come in to shoot.
    If so, does the person at the desk know their name & contact info?

Now, that attorney may be an insurance defense attorney who doesn't do criminal defense work but he knows someone who does.

You might ask your tax guy if he or someone he knows is able to talk to you about self defense and related topics.

Have you ever had a car accident? Did that lawyer do a good job? Do they do criminal work and are they able to talk to you about self defense issues?

If you are asking attorney for a referral, ask who would they hire if they got in trouble?

Get that guy/gal's info and call that person's office and see if you can talk to them on the phone for a little while.

Be honest with them about what you are asking about.

You are asking about laws relating to self defense in your state and how they are applied, how the "post-fight" is usually handled;

What (if anything) you should say to the police;

How fast the lawyer could get to you in case you do have an incident? If the incident occurs at 1:00 AM Sunday morning - will you be seeing your lawyer at 3:00 AM Saturday at the PD or the hospital (Doable, but expect to pay a premium for that kind of service) or at 11:00 AM Monday in lockup at the courthouse? ;

How much it would cost to retain the attorney in the aftermath of an incident for the purposes of getting you bonded out if you need a real estate bond done should you not be able to come up with the cash for a bondsman?;

An in depth conversation is an hour or so of time, and you should expect to pay for it. It will be money well spent to get accurate information and establish a relationship with an attorney should you need it.

Now…Some people have mentioned a retainer.

Some may ask “What exactly is a retainer?”

Every case is looked at and evaluated for how much time the matter will take, the complexity of the matter and its urgency.

In a typical situation either the defendant or his family will make an appointment, pay a consultation fee and talk to the attorney about the situation.

The lawyer is told what happened, what the charges are, and based on their experience, they estimate the amount of time involved in a defense and the complexity of the matter.

The retainer is the hourly rate multiplied by the amount of hours it is estimated the matter will take. If the matter exceeds the amount of hours projected, expect another bill. 

Find out from the attorney you talk to what it would cost for them to get out of bed and come see you in the immediate aftermath of a situation, and put that amount in cash in your gun safe, or buy some sort of easily negotiable, safe, security like a savings bond or something to that effect which can be signed over in the event you need to hire the attorney.

The money you would pay an attorney to “keep him on retainer” is better spent on savings bonds or other instruments you can cash in, that will grow in value.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Mitchell,

Some very good advice, thanks.

Related to this, would you happen to know if Paul Chinigo is still practicing in the Norwich area? Our kids played ice hockey together, and I seem to recall he was a rather highly thought of criminal defense attorney.

I may have to make an appointment with him to sit down and talk as you mentioned.

Thanks,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Mitchell,

Some very good advice, thanks.

Related to this, would you happen to know if Paul Chinigo is still practicing in the Norwich area? Our kids played ice hockey together, and I seem to recall he was a rather highly thought of criminal defense attorney.
    The Judicial Branch's website lists him as active, but I've never met him.

Norwich is WAY the hell out of my area.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Thanks Mitchell, I live in Ledyard so Norwich is right next door. I will have to call and see if I can make an appt. with him.

Mike

VIP Member
    Thanks Mitchell... good scoop!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Thanks for the insight...very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    I chatted with a gun-law lawyer a few days ago, making his acquaintance just in case I might need him in the future. He said to hold off on saying anything after an event until one talks to one's lawyer - the cops will tell you that your silence means you have something to hide, but he said "that's BS!"

The same sentiment was expressed by a CCW instructor I just met: he said, "If they ask if you have something to hide, say, 'No, I just don't trust cops...'" He went further, but it was a bit peppery.

Ayoob (In the Gravest Extreme) and Kenik (Armed Response) stress that the cops are seeking to place blame rather than seeking to pat a permit-holder on the back.

Hope this helps.
    instead of no,i just dont trust cops....maybe, no,i just trust my attorney.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

I was in fear for my life and I want to talk to my lawyer, thats it.
    If involved in a shooting don't call the police call 911 for an ambulance for the guy you shot trust me the police will be there before the EMS. Your first concern after that is to call your lawyer from a safe place.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links