Atlanta zoo - Page 2

Atlanta zoo

This is a discussion on Atlanta zoo within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by fernset So im guessing you cant go to Disney with a gun either then huh?? Wouldn't a movie theater be a public ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Atlanta zoo

Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    So im guessing you cant go to Disney with a gun either then huh??

Wouldn't a movie theater be a public gathering place, but guns can be carried there?
    Be careful when reading about other states. The original post was about Georgia, and the laws will be different than here in FL.

In FL there is no rule about public gatherings, be it movie theaters, zoos, or Disney World. They may be posted, but that does not legally prohibit you from carrying. If you were discovered, though, and they asked you to leave, you must leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond D View Post
    I am not familar with the laws in FL, but I know if you call Disney World and ask them if you can carry, they will tell you no. If you get caught with a weapon (firearm) they will throw you out.

Movie theathers seem like a public gathering place to me...again, it's a gray area in the law. If you are carrying concealed, nobody will know I guess, but you are taking a chance on breaking the law....I'd like to know about theaters.....
    You probably shouldn't carry in the theater either being a public gathering place and all - some crazy might shoot the projectionist. Probably should just carry at home since the public pretty much could assemble at any time and any place outside of your house. That being the law and all e.g. public vs. private.

Quote Originally Posted by MKaprocki View Post
    In FL there is no rule about public gatherings, be it movie theaters, zoos, or Disney World. They may be posted, but that does not legally prohibit you from carrying. If you were discovered, though, and they asked you to leave, you must leave.
    I carried in DW with no problems. I made a conscious effort to look for signs and found none, so I proceded to carry. This was in '06. Concealed is concealed - noone sees it.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

I went to the Atlanta Zoo a few weeks back myself. They do have a "no weapons" sign at the entrance, but they weren't searching people (I didn't carry though).

They were some homeless people panhandling right at the entrance that we had to walk past, and I remember wishing that I had carried.

VIP Member
    Maybe I am a little confused- but what use is a CCW that you can't take into public places? Is it just to keep the TV from attacking you while you're at the house?
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I guess that in Georgia nobody ever gets attacked by a criminal at "public gathering places"!!

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Maybe I am a little confused- but what use is a CCW that you can't take into public places? Is it just to keep the TV from attacking you while you're at the house?
    (sarcasm on) I think it has to do with getting rid of ants. (sarcasm off)
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Quote Originally Posted by walvord View Post
    (sarcasm on) I think it has to do with getting rid of ants. (sarcasm off)
    Sarcasm taken...

Anyhow, that is one of the big issues to me. There is a lot of grey area in the GA laws. Heck, there are parking lots sometimes that can have more than 10 people in it at a given point, which could be called a 'public gathering' so there are a lot of times when you need to use your brain.

Most places around here don't say anything about it, but if they see that you are carrying, they will ask you to leave.

You cannot take a firearm into a restaurant that sells alcohol either, so that's out.
    No concerts, sporting events.......No government buildings, parks, rec areas.

I had asked the same question a while back on another forum about "What's the point in having a permit if you can't carry anywhere." And that is why GA sucks for those who wish to carry...

Like Walvord said earlier, concealed means, you can't see it, so I guess, what they don't know won't hurt 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Miller View Post
    I guess that in Georgia nobody ever gets attacked by a criminal at "public gathering places"!!
    I wish.......tons of scumbags here.......lucky for me, I don't live in Atlanta.

Confusing GA CCL Law

I think the big issue with concealed carry in GA is the vast number of exceptions that leave you at the risk of being caught in a loophole. There are efforts underway to begin removing some of the confusion and complexity. In the meantime we have to deal with question such as "is it legal to carry at the zoo?".

IMHO we al went through exhaustive and time-consuming background checks to legally register ourselves with the authorities. That should exempt us (permit us to carry) just about every where.

Quote Originally Posted by K4Kimber View Post
    That should exempt us (permit us to carry) just about every where.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond D View Post
    There isn't a reason to have a gun in the Zoo. Same reason you can't have one at a Braves game, or the Olympics. There is security there, and under State Law, you cannot have a firearm in Public gathering places. I didn't write the laws, I just abide by them.

On top of the fact that some crazy would go and pop and Elephant...
    Surely you wrote this in jest? I certainly hope so...

Let me continue in your line of thought (hopefully sarcastically)

"There isn't any reason to have a gun at Virginia Tech... there is security there...

On top of the fact that some crazy would go and pop a student or faculty member.... (we all know guns make people go crazy right?) "

Please tell me you were kidding with that line of reasoning and paragraph of yours?

HKR
    We visit Zoo Atlanta at least once a year and I've never seen security at the gate doing anything except leaning on something and talking to the employees. It is not in the safest part of town(is there a safe part of Atlanta?) and the security inside is laughable at best. Don't ask why you need a gun in Zoo Atlanta, ask WHY THE HELL you need a beer vendor in Zoo Atlanta. I have nothing against people who consume alcohol(responsibly), but the zoo is not the place for it.

The argument could go on for days about where you THINK you should be allowed to carry a firearm. The point is, it's illegal. Sure, you could carry one in, but when you get caught, what's your excuse? "I don't feel safe here" officer.

I am all for being able to carry where ever I want, but it's the law. When people start breaking laws, then they start taking things away.

I'm not saying that Atlanta is safe by any means, that's why I carry where ever I am LEGALLY allowed to.

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    Surely you wrote this in jest? I certainly hope so...

Let me continue in your line of thought (hopefully sarcastically)

"There isn't any reason to have a gun at Virginia Tech... there is security there...

On top of the fact that some crazy would go and pop a student or faculty member.... (we all know guns make people go crazy right?) "

Please tell me you were kidding with that line of reasoning and paragraph of yours?
    Dude,
    I'm not saying it's right. I would love to be able to take mine anywhere I want. But you can't. No point in arguing it, cause your not going to be able to. If it's something that you can't stand, don't go to the places you can't carry. Simple as that.

CW

a zoo in a zoo

publicly owned buildings and where alcohol is sold for consumption are off limits. Sporting events, churches or church functions are also off limits. DO NOT ride MARTA carrying. It is a FELONY. Yes MARTA is a dump and filled with human flotsam but even licensed it is a felony to ride a train or bus or even be in the station or parking lot armed.

Grant Park is a neighboor hood in Atlanta.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php

go to this link for more information.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links