Atlanta zoo

This is a discussion on Atlanta zoo within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by albundy Grant Park is a neighboor hood in Atlanta. I'm refering to the park surrounding Zoo Atlanta, also known as Grant Park, ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Atlanta zoo

Quote Originally Posted by albundy View Post
    Grant Park is a neighboor hood in Atlanta.
    I'm refering to the park surrounding Zoo Atlanta, also known as Grant Park, which is owned by the city of Atlanta.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant_Park_(Atlanta)

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond D View Post
    Dude,
    I'm not saying it's right. I would love to be able to take mine anywhere I want. But you can't. No point in arguing it, cause your not going to be able to. If it's something that you can't stand, don't go to the places you can't carry. Simple as that.

CW

My point was, it sounded like you were making the argument that you really didn't need one there. Legality aside, which I agree with you on there... obey the law, but it sounds like your insisting that your really don't need one there. Unless... as I asked... you were being sarcastic.. which you failed to answer in your response.

We all agree that law is law.

But... again... are you making the argument that since they have security its not needed? That was my question.

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    But... again... are you making the argument that since they have security its not needed? That was my question.
    I wasn't trying to make it sound that way, if I did, I just myself.

I would love to be able to go anywhere and carry. Especially in THAT area of town.

Gotcha! see I figured as much and so I was giving you the benefit of the doubt on that one. Not a problem neighbor!

It is illegal to carry on public transportation? I think you might need to move to a new city. I ride oregon public transit all the time (saves me the hassle of fighting traffic) and we recently had an elderly man beaten with a baseball bat by some crazy fellow. There is no way in hell I would ride any public transit if I wasn't allowed to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by albundy View Post
    publicly owned buildings and where alcohol is sold for consumption are off limits. Sporting events, churches or church functions are also off limits. DO NOT ride MARTA carrying. It is a FELONY. Yes MARTA is a dump and filled with human flotsam but even licensed it is a felony to ride a train or bus or even be in the station or parking lot armed.

Grant Park is a neighboor hood in Atlanta.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php

go to this link for more information.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

I don't ride public transportation, and would rather be beaten than do so.

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    Gotcha! see I figured as much and so I was giving you the benefit of the doubt on that one. Not a problem neighbor!

Happy Friday Gents......

Concealed means Concealed...
    The ride to the zoo can be a little "stressful"... as can the people in the parking lot and zoo...
    When I go, I have my family with me, so ... concealed means concealed. :)
    Hammer

Man, this thread makes me really thankful for my state laws.

I spent one day in Atlanta a few months ago, and I'm not keen to go back, if I can avoid it! If I'm going to live in a place where the right to carry is so restricted I might as well move back to California and at least enjoy the weather! ;)
    "For evil to flourish all that is required is for good men to spout clichés." - Hugh Laurie

I'm refering to the park surrounding Zoo Atlanta, also known as Grant Park, which is owned by the city of Atlanta.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant_Park_(Atlanta)
    The City of Atlanta still has it's pre-empted ban on carry in parks on the books. They have stated in their briefs to GCO's lawsuit that they fully intend to continue enforcing their illegal gun bans.

The Zoo will never be the same without Willie Bee (RIP)...

Atlanta is one of the worst places on Earth. Grant Park has cleaned up a lot since the late 90s (massive influx of gay men really had some positive effects on the place), but I still hate going there. One wrong turn in Atlanta and you're in crackville. It's a rough city, but luckily the Zoo is a straight shot from the interstate (Boulevard Ave. I think it's called) and surrounded by the nicer parts of Grant Park. That being said... I also had two attempted bike stealings, one failed and quite personal with some teenagers, the other successful (I left my bike on the front porch of a friends house for less than two minutes), on that road just past the Zoo (at Boulevard and Atlanta Ave.).

As a final note... the Atlanta Police are totally incompetent (not exaggerating) and will respond to your dire emergency situation within a few hours.
    Half measures availed us nothing...

Sounds like you want to risk it all by going to a city that is high in crime, going to a park that forbids you your right to protect yourself and all for just wanting to see the monkey cage?

I'm getting the idea that if you want to see wild animals in Atlanta, you don't have to go to the zoo, you just have to venture out into the city! Yikes!
    "For evil to flourish all that is required is for good men to spout clichés." - Hugh Laurie

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Sickening.

The "public gathering" provision of Georgia's CCW law renders that law nearly useless.

The "compromises" that had to be made in some states (Georgia & Virginia come readily to mind) are abhorrent.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    "removing the latter (guns)" and "eliminating guns" sounds pretty much the same to me....

i.e. -I want to remove ants from my house, and I want to eliminate ants from my house.....same thing.

There isn't a reason to have a gun in the Zoo. Same reason you can't have one at a Braves game, or the Olympics. There is security there, and under State Law, you cannot have a firearm in Public gathering places. I didn't write the laws, I just abide by them.

On top of the fact that some crazy would go and pop and Elephant...
    You need to study up on what "former" and "latter" mean.

He was clearly saying, sarcastically, that Georgia has managed to nearly rid itself of water, but that efforts to rid itself of guns will not be able to succeed.

And I challenge your notion that "security" in any place is sufficient to take the place of going armed. You stridently state, "There isn't a reason to have a gun in the Zoo. Same reason you can't have one at a Braves game, or the Olympics. There is security there..." Ooooh, there's security there! And they're sworn to take a bullet for you, and every other zoo patron, right? Puh-lease.

Beyond that, you're saying that we should be prevented from bringing firearms to the zoo because some crazy might decide to shoot an elephant.

That is actually a great argument for us not being allowed to take a firearm to the MALL, or the MOVIES... because, you know, one of us "crazies" might actually decide to shoot a HUMAN BEING there!
    (Are elephants more precious than human beings? 'Cause you seem to be arguing that we need to keep anyone who might have a gun away from elephants in a zoo, but you're not arguing against CCW in places where we might come into contact with actual people.

It seems as though you are arguing that gun control has the potential to actually work at keeping criminal or psychotic types from bringing guns to places and committing mayhem.

Maybe you just haven't been reading this forum long enough.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links