MI Members, Do You Carry Your Pistol "Safety Inspection Certificate"?

This is a discussion on MI Members, Do You Carry Your Pistol "Safety Inspection Certificate"? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ebk637 YEP!It's a pain in the butt! safety inspection,HA!!: Thats not the worst of it either.The city I live in only has ...

View Poll Results: Do You Carry Your "Safty Inspection Certificate"?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 24.59%
  • No

46 75.41%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MI Members, Do You Carry Your Pistol "Safety Inspection Certificate"?

Quote Originally Posted by ebk637 View Post
    YEP!It's a pain in the butt!
    safety inspection,HA!!:
    Thats not the worst of it either.The city I live in only has certain hours on certain days that I can go to get my "safety inspection"!
    like monday and tuesday 10 to 12 and weds and thur. 2 to 4 or some crap like that!***!!
    I have had to leave work early or just take a whole day off just to get this stupid "Inspection".
    Sorry had to vent.
    An Attorney General's opinion of 7-17-2006 held that police departments must process firearms during ALL normal business hours. This would be anytime the records office is open. Maybe your city hasn't gotten the message yet. The full text is published on the AG's website.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

2. Remove Ads

I carry them just to avoid any hassle if stopped. I agree that the "safety inspection" is a total waste of time.
    ‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’

— Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
    An Attorney General's opinion of 7-17-2006 held that police departments must process firearms during ALL normal business hours. This would be anytime the records office is open. Maybe your city hasn't gotten the message yet. The full text is published on the AG's website.
    I had this same problem. The inspection revolved around a single Sgt's schedule. Went in one day and he wasn't there, they told me to come back the next day. Another time though, he recognized me and offered to to do it for me "after hours" because of my work schedule that week. Should be more customer friendly, but for something that you do only so often, I don't mind.

I carry mine.

For those of you thinking this is a newer law, it was passed in 1927 along with the creation of the county gun boards and the requirement of the permit to carry on a discretionary basis approved by the gun boards. Thank the KKK for those.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Unfortunately it is only his opinion, which really doesn't mean much. The Dept's do not have to do what an opinion says.
    I have went round and round with the chief in my city and he says he will do what he wants until is made a rule (I forgot the offical term for rule, sorry).

Lead Moderator
    Don't carry mine(not enough room inthe wallet for all the cards). The last "safety inspection" was a few Deputies I knew looking at it while the secretary was typing up the card. There is not inspection done, just serial # recording done.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Super Trucker View Post
    Unfortunately it is only his opinion, which really doesn't mean much. The Dept's do not have to do what an opinion says.
    I have went round and round with the chief in my city and he says he will do what he wants until is made a rule (I forgot the offical term for rule, sorry).
    In MI, an AG's opinion carries force of law. Opinions can only be requested by a legislator. It has to do with the state firearms preemption law. I expect MCRGO will take a municipality to court over it before long.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

I brught a copy with me the last time I had to go and presented it to the lady there.
    She said that I was not the first person to bring one of those and that there was nothing she could do about it and to write city hall.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    By Law, you are not required to carry the green registration card with you.
    and yes, the AG's opinion in Michigan is as good as law.
    Open carry in Michigan is legal, but that does not mean you would not get stopped and get some flack over it in some more populated areas.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Michigan Registration scheme. It has nothing to do with safety and we are working on getting it removed. Currently, any handgun in your possesion has to be taken to your local cop-shop where they "safety inspect" it. They've been known to do this without even touching the gun. They left mine in the case (since they could see the serial #, did some paperwork, and let me go.

Celtic: I've heard the same thing, but I leave mine in the case the gun came in. Even if they held my gun for some reason, I figure I could go get it.
    Geez...glad I live in FL. I came home from the range today and issued my own safety inspection. As luck would have it, I was able to clean 2 guns without government help -- and without shooting myself. (Not sure I want to run that risk again!!!)

I just left Michigan in August for the free state of WV.

I destroyed all my green cards once I got here.

I made copies of my three main carry guns green card and have them in my wallet just in case the LE wants to be difficult.

Thats called sneaky regestration

im sure this was mentioned earlier, but im too lazy to read so ill say it agian.
    its michigans registration scheme. you used to have to carry your card. now you dont. i do, but at the moment with all my crap laying around its less likely to get lost there than anywhere else.

"Safety Inspection Certificte" required when hunting

I tossed my cards this year when I moved to Nevada.

For those still in Michigan: the DNR had (and I assume still has a regulation) that requires you to have the green card with you while hunting with a handgun. They used to have a paragraph or two regarding handguns in the pamplet they put out each year on hunting rules and seasons.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links