MI Members, Do You Carry Your Pistol "Safety Inspection Certificate"?

MI Members, Do You Carry Your Pistol "Safety Inspection Certificate"?

This is a discussion on MI Members, Do You Carry Your Pistol "Safety Inspection Certificate"? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been told it will help in case the computers are down and the LEO wants to verify your weapon....

View Poll Results: Do You Carry Your "Safty Inspection Certificate"?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    15 24.59%
  • No

    46 75.41%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 46
  1. #1
    Member Array CelticWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    371

    MI Members, Do You Carry Your Pistol "Safety Inspection Certificate"?

    I have been told it will help in case the computers are down and the LEO wants to verify your weapon.
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8


    http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry


  2. #2
    Member Array levi333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Oregon, in the valley
    Posts
    137
    I have no idea what that even is. A Michigan law maybe...?

  3. #3
    Senior Moderator
    Array pgrass101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    13,489
    Never heard of it either
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

    ― Robert A. Heinlein,

  4. #4
    VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,134
    Never heard of such a thing , Nor do i really want to . Heck i feel that a ccw is infringement of my rights ( tho being a law abiding type i have one ). There is just no way i would have it tied to a specific pistol , or have my pistol " inspected " by anyone for safety or anyother reason .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

    Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

  5. #5
    VIP Member Array Cupcake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,164
    Michigan Registration scheme. It has nothing to do with safety and we are working on getting it removed. Currently, any handgun in your possesion has to be taken to your local cop-shop where they "safety inspect" it. They've been known to do this without even touching the gun. They left mine in the case (since they could see the serial #, did some paperwork, and let me go.

    Celtic: I've heard the same thing, but I leave mine in the case the gun came in. Even if they held my gun for some reason, I figure I could go get it.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

    Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

  6. #6
    Member
    Array GBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    468
    Do you mean license to carry (CA)?
    Right next to my Gun Club membership...

  7. #7
    Member Array S3ymour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    458
    Crazy, I've never heard of anything like that, and I fully agree with redneck.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Array walvord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    St. Charles County Missouri
    Posts
    991
    Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Currently, any handgun in your possesion has to be taken to your local cop-shop where they "safety inspect" it. They've been known to do this without even touching the gun. They left mine in the case (since they could see the serial #, did some paperwork, and let me go.
    What a bunch of B.S. and complete waste of time. Wonder if any of the cop inspectors have any gunsmithing skills to actually do this correctly? Probably not since they didn't even take it out of the case.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

  9. #9
    VIP Member Array wmhawth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Western Colorado
    Posts
    4,437
    Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Michigan Registration scheme. It has nothing to do with safety and we are working on getting it removed. Currently, any handgun in your possesion has to be taken to your local cop-shop where they "safety inspect" it. They've been known to do this without even touching the gun. They left mine in the case (since they could see the serial #, did some paperwork, and let me go.

    Celtic: I've heard the same thing, but I leave mine in the case the gun came in. Even if they held my gun for some reason, I figure I could go get it.
    That sounds like absolute nonsense to me. Christ...What won't they think of next!!!

  10. #10
    Member Array CelticWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by walvord View Post
    What a bunch of B.S. and complete waste of time. Wonder if any of the cop inspectors have any gunsmithing skills to actually do this correctly? Probably not since they didn't even take it out of the case.
    It should be called "Gun Registration" not "Safty Inspection"

    From both of the pistols I bought, neither were checked for safty. They just got the serial numbers off the body and barrel. wrote down the make and model. made a record of it in their system then printed me up this nifty little card.

    On this card it has:

    Full Name
    Address
    City
    Date Of Birth
    Race
    Sex
    Height
    Hair
    Eyes
    Make Of Pistol
    Type Of Pistol
    Caliber
    Model
    Serial Number
    Mag Capacity
    CCW#
    Date
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8


    http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

  11. #11
    JD
    JD is offline
    Administrator
    Array JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    19,237
    I retitled the thread to aid in the pre MI law established confusion.

    All I can say is that I'm glad I moved away from MI.

  12. #12
    VIP Member Array Cupcake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,164
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    All I can say is that I'm glad I moved away from MI.
    Winter is starting. You'll eat those words when you have to suffer through winter temps in the 50's and don't even get to shovel 6-12" of wet snow.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

    Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

  13. #13
    Member Array crankshop1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    328
    MI is not too bad as far as the current attitudes.MI is a shall issue state that still has some holdover laws from the dark ages where only the politically connected could get a permit to carry.The "green card" does not need to be carried but needs to go with the weapon if you sell it to a private individual.The green card was a back alley way for the state to keep track of owners.I hope they end it and are forced to destroy the records.MI can also do away with some of the "gun free zones" while they're at it.

  14. #14
    Member Array CelticWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by crankshop1000 View Post
    MI is not too bad as far as the current attitudes.MI is a shall issue state that still has some holdover laws from the dark ages where only the politically connected could get a permit to carry.The "green card" does not need to be carried but needs to go with the weapon if you sell it to a private individual.The green card was a back alley way for the state to keep track of owners.I hope they end it and are forced to destroy the records.MI can also do away with some of the "gun free zones" while they're at it.
    Yeah, you can go to and from the grocery store and thats it...
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8


    http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

  15. #15
    VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,134
    What a bunch of B.S. and complete waste of time. Wonder if any of the cop inspectors have any gunsmithing skills to actually do this correctly? Probably not since they didn't even take it out of the case.
    I predict that it will get interesting since my first defense as a scrote involved in a shooting is that the gun went off by its self , if this handgun was ever " inspected " by any branch of LE ( even if i as a scrote stole it ) the qualifications of the inspecting officer could be called into court as an affermitave defense . Bad Law , gonna get messy .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

    Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. (Open carry) "Help, Officer, he brandished his weapon at me!"..."No i didn't!!"
    By RR9501 in forum Open Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: October 9th, 2010, 01:48 PM
  2. How many FLA Members have read the book "Florida Firearms Law, Use & Ownership" ?
    By GoldenSaber in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: August 27th, 2009, 12:57 AM
  3. 10% Rebate on "the-backup" for Denfensive Carry Members"
    By ajphusker1 in forum Sponsor Buy, Sell & Trade
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: August 19th, 2009, 05:32 PM
  4. Do you carry your semi-auto pistol with the "+1"?
    By rokclmb in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 150
    Last Post: January 28th, 2009, 08:29 PM
  5. Michigan "Safety Inspection" Requirement
    By Detroittwister in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: June 19th, 2008, 09:02 AM

Search tags for this page

do i still have to carry my michigan safety inspection certificate when i carry my firearm
,
firearms safety inspection certificate michigan
,
handgun safety inspection certificate
,
michigan firearm safety inspection
,

michigan gun safety inspection

,
michigan handgun certificate of inspection
,

michigan handgun safety inspection

,

michigan pistol safety inspection

,

pistol safety inspection michigan

,
safety inspection certificate pistol
,
what do i have to do to open and carry in michigan
,

what does a michigan pistol safety inspection card look like

Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors