Garment ''sweep'' considerations.

This is a discussion on Garment ''sweep'' considerations. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last Saturday I enjoyed some range time with member here eagle5 ..... some of my practice drawing was with no shirt but I have since ...

Thread: Garment ''sweep'' considerations.

Assistant Administrator

Last Saturday I enjoyed some range time with member here eagle5 ..... some of my practice drawing was with no shirt but I have since been remembering how I was having problems when I did put my shirt on.

This shirt was very thin - good cover but lightweight - add to this some wind blowing from my side and I found the ''sweep'' more than awkward - very awkward in fact. Not at all reliable.

I also noticed eagle 5, who was wearing a lightish fleece-like top with elasticated bottom, was maybe having a harder time with his draw than might have been. That said he was still pretty fluent and had his strong hand thumb doing well with garment displacement - drawing tho from about 5 o'clock so - quite a reach.

Today I am wearing my usual colder weather apparel which is a heavier, lined open shirt and this is zero problem - as easy to flip aside as is a vest.

Makes me realize tho that not all garments which ostensibly give good cover are necessarily going to be that good for the ''sweep''. My judgement is that some weight is advantageous .. altho a large t-shirt is another category with a different technique - usually quite manageable.

Strikes me our choices need to include not just adequate cover but good (for the individual) ''sweepability''!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Absolutely true, Chris.
    Fall and winter, I generally wear a sweatshirt over an OWB holster. I've found that extending my right thumb against my body as I draw sweeps (pushes)the shirt up out of the way. The lighter summer cover shirts are a bit tougher to consistently move.
    Dave

Assistant Administrator
    Indeed Dave the thumb yes - pretty well the way to go.

One caveat I forgot earlier ....... assuming our weak hand and arm are available then this is another useful adjunct to the sweep, clearing the way for the strong hand to find the gun with no hindrance ------ and with that anyways a lean away from the gun to bring it out to the side somewhat. IMO easier altogether with OWB than IWB.

With that light shirt tho I did realize that even with assistance from my weak hand, the draw was most definitely NOT consistent ... the very last stage suffering sometimes a sorta bunching problem with shirt still hindering things.

It was useful to realize this as I hadn't tried draw moves before with this light of a shirt.
    Chris - P95

I remember an old training technique where the lightweight shirt is grasped on the weak side with the weak hand, and pulled directily away from the body. That does a pretty good job of clearing the pistol. I have practiced it some, and it works for me; of course, when the Stuff Hits The Fan, Mr. Murphy will probably chime in.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

I purposely buy jackets that are more than ample in the waist area. Plus I layer. Plus I am gravitationaly enhanced for my height. So, the sweep is the same summer or winter (or anything inbetween). In doing action pistol/IDPA, I always train to use one hand to clear and draw. It may be slightly slower than the weak hand clearing the clothes, but I know I can draw even if the weak hand is fending off an attack.

Thoughts?

VIP Member
    Although he didn't directly mention it, P95Carry did hit on a key point!

Whatever garment you choose... practice practice practice!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftyjuan View Post
    I remember an old training technique where the lightweight shirt is grasped on the weak side with the weak hand, and pulled directily away from the body.
    Excellent point John - and to be honest not one I had thought of but - for the light type of shirt I was referring to, certainly a viable option. I will do some experimentation.
    Chris - P95

A heavy jacket seems to work best for me if it's unzipped. Nothing has been perfect.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Drawstrings should be called "fumble your draw-strings". Watch out for those things, my solution is almost always to get them out of the garment forever!

On the lighter shirts that I wear during the summer I have resorted to attaching fishing weights to the bottom of the button hem on both sides.

While experimenting with the weights I started heavy and lightened up until I found the magic number...about 1/2-3/4oz on a safety pin. One on each side. This works for me.

I do prefer a heavier weight fabric, as they tend to get out of the way a little better. Vests have never been me, and I don't wear real heavy coats in the winter either.

As already mentioned, what ever you wear, wherever you carry, practice until you are sore.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Assistant Administrator
    I have resorted to attaching fishing weights to the bottom of the button hem on both sides.
    Glad you mentioned that - yet another excellent idea. Another proof of the value of info exchange on the forums ... can't beat it
    Chris - P95

Links