Places to Shoot in Maryland & Northern Virginia

This is a discussion on Places to Shoot in Maryland & Northern Virginia within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A friend of mine lives in North Potomac, Maryland. I live in Southeastern Virginia (Hampton Roads). He has never shot a gun before and is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Places to Shoot in Maryland & Northern Virginia

A friend of mine lives in North Potomac, Maryland. I live in Southeastern Virginia (Hampton Roads). He has never shot a gun before and is interested in doing so. I would like to take him to a commercial range near his home, either in MD or northern VA, but am unfamiliar with what the choices are. Can any of you locals suggest some spots?

JD
    Administrator
    Check for state parks in MD, I know some have ranges on them.

Check this out: http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/shootingranges.asp

Smile Range in Northern Virginia

Clarks gun shop
    10016 James Madison Hwy.
    Warrenton, VA 20186

I have used this range and it is great. You have to buy the ammo you shoot at the gun shop. There is no charge for shooting. The range officers are strict and active. It is a good place for a novice to learn formal range safety.

Sam
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

VIP Member
    In NoVA:
    NRA HQ
    Blue Ridge Arsenal

The one that was in Arlington relocated a bit south of Springfield and may now require memberships. Can't recall the name now.

In MD I have no idea. If your friend wants to shoot more and or take some classes then check out the IWLA. On his side of the river is the BCC-IWLA and on mine there are the Loudoun and Arlington/Fairfax (Centreville) Chapters. All have ranges (rifle/pistol/shotgun/archery) and training programs. However, they are membership only.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Lead Moderator
    This may be too far, since for the life of me I can't remember where Potomac is...... But there is an indoor range right outside of Ft. Meade Maryland on route 175. I'm just assuming you are shooting handguns. Other than that all the ones I know about are "membership" type ranges.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I grew up in N. Potomac - you guys should be able to walk into to Gilberts range on Gude Drive (not far from him) without a membership. The only other place close by is Blue Ridge off of Sunrise Valley Drive near Reston.

Gilberts:

http://www.gilbertindoorrange.com/

Matt

BTW - On Target is off the BW Parkway up towards Columbia, but that place is just ok..

Quote Originally Posted by mattd View Post
    I grew up in N. Potomac - you guys should be able to walk into to Gilberts range on Gude Drive (not far from him) without a membership. The only other place close by is Blue Ridge off of Sunrise Valley Drive near Reston.

Gilberts:

http://www.gilbertindoorrange.com/

Matt

BTW - On Target is off the BW Parkway up towards Columbia, but that place is just ok..
    Blue Ridge is off of Route 50 and Lee Road in Chantilly. That's about 5 miles from Sunrise Valley Drive in Reston.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk! --Tuco

For a person who is completely new to shooting, guns, and the sport/activity I would not suggest Blue Ridge. Being completely frank that place is a dive. Nice employees but the range is a dive.

For MD your friend is very close at just a few miles away from Gilbert's Guns which has modern facilities.
    For meeting you halfway I'd advise the NRA HdQ range.

BTW both of these facilities have updraft ventilation which if you want dude to come back and not walk away feeling like he's contracted asthma then I would skip Blue Ridge.

Before I moved to MA I lived in Loudoun County and I was an NRA HdQ range member as well as shot at Blue Ridge prior. Blue Ridge was 3 miles away from me while the NRA range was double that. By far even as it took more time and effort for me to get to (Rt. 50 traffic is a bear!), the NRA range is head and shoulders above Blue Ridge in every way including the parking situation.
    I haven't been to Blue Ridge in 2 yrs. upon moving and I'd not return nor suggest it for your newbie friend unless they have completely rebuilt and _improved_ their facility, which from my VA shooter friends I have not heard to be the case for them.

$0.02 street

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by heritageguy View Post
    Blue Ridge is off of Route 50 and Lee Road in Chantilly. That's about 5 miles from Sunrise Valley Drive in Reston.
    Yep. ^^

It's been at that location for atleast the last 15 yrs. that I've been aware they existed.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    For a person who is completely new to shooting, guns, and the sport/activity I would not suggest Blue Ridge. Being completely frank that place is a dive. Nice employees but the range is a dive.

For MD your friend is very close at just a few miles away from Gilbert's Guns which has modern facilities.
    For meeting you halfway I'd advise the NRA HdQ range.

BTW both of these facilities have updraft ventilation which if you want dude to come back and not walk away feeling like he's contracted asthma then I would skip Blue Ridge.

Before I moved to MA I lived in Loudoun County and I was an NRA HdQ range member as well as shot at Blue Ridge prior. Blue Ridge was 3 miles away from me while the NRA range was double that. By far even as it took more time and effort for me to get to (Rt. 50 traffic is a bear!), the NRA range is head and shoulders above Blue Ridge in every way including the parking situation.
    I haven't been to Blue Ridge in 2 yrs. upon moving and I'd not return nor suggest it for your newbie friend unless they have completely rebuilt and _improved_ their facility, which from my VA shooter friends I have not heard to be the case for them.

$0.02 street

- Janq
    Actually I heard through the grapevine that they did just that. They ramped up member fees and other such stuff to pay for completely rebuilding the whole facility. I haven't been back there myself since said transformation (I shoot private property or public outdoor out in berkely springs these days). Nevermind their prices were always high on just about everything anyway.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Agreed, I forgot to mention that...their prices were definitely ridiculous across the board.
    If they have renovated themselves in the last 24 months then great and it's about darn time!
    I bet they went ahead and made the upgrades as a result of Shooters Paradise burning down earlier this year so as to fill the resulting NoVA shooters vacuum.

Jofdro find out from a person who has been at BR in the last say 3 mos. about what if any upgrades they have made to their range facilities _before_ deciding on going there.
    Otherwise you and/or your friend might be sadly disappointed.

- Janq

I may go out there and see what they've done at some point in the next 2 or 3 weeks. I'm probably about due some time at a real range anyway. If I go I let you know my first impressions. It's all going to depend on time and availability at this point though(going through iso2000 cert at work right now - and yes...it blows!).
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

There is also Maryland Small Arms Range off of Dowerhouse Road in PG county. It is off PA ave outside the beltway. Nice place and not too expensive.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Thanks for the great responses, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    If your friend wants to shoot more and or take some classes then check out the IWLA. On his side of the river is the BCC-IWLA and on mine there are the Loudoun and Arlington/Fairfax (Centreville) Chapters. All have ranges (rifle/pistol/shotgun/archery) and training programs. However, they are membership only.
    I don't know about other chapters but the Arlington/Fairfax (Centreville) IWLA accepts non members for training classes. NRA basic pistol and shotgun class are $50 each. I took an NRA basic pistol class from them and the instructors were great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links