Arriving at a posted locale- what to do with gun? (S.C.)

This is a discussion on Arriving at a posted locale- what to do with gun? (S.C.) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; have I been doing wrong here? I'm a CWP holder in SC. normally, if I go to the bank, post office, or other area that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arriving at a posted locale- what to do with gun? (S.C.)

Arriving at a posted locale- what to do with gun? (S.C.)

have I been doing wrong here? I'm a CWP holder in SC. normally, if I go to the bank, post office, or other area that is illegal for carry, I will pull off my entire ankle holster (or whatever I'm carrying) and leave it under the front seat of the vehicle, while I run in and do what I have to do. seems the most inconspicuous and most convenient method, but I want to be legal. A gun store guy in a very tight shirt chastised me for this, saying it is illegal to leave a loaded gun in the vehicle like that (I assume meaning not in glove box, console, or locked in a box in the back seat). I do not drive around that way. I also know others who have been carrying and involved in the CW and LE scene much longer than I have (i'm not LE) doing the same thing with their ankle holstered weapons (under the seat when they need to run it to a posted/off-limits location).

Please clarify if I need to be clearing out room in the glove box or console for my weapon, I want to do the right thing!

2. Remove Ads

I'm not totally familiar with your laws in S.C.; but, I think he may be right. Go to www.handgunlaw.us and check out the links to the law that covers you.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    What does SC law say about having a gun in your car? I would trust that over what anyone on the internet or at some gun shop says.

I do the same thing, except I leave my holster on if I need to run into a posted place. But the two states that I frequent (LA and TX) both allow firearm storage in a vehicle with no serious strings attached.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

what to do?

After reading "In the Gravest Extreme", when SHTF, our display of responsibility and every reasonable precaution taken, is what will reduce the seriousness and our treatment in the legal system.

After reading DC consistently, I learned: folks here tend to run in the better safe than sorry mindset i.e. that we carry in the first place; why not apply that right on down to safe handling of what we carry? This forum seems to represent above and beyond the minimum required.

I'm not sure of the legalities in your area, but to a higher standard: what would you want the jury to hear from you, if your gun was stolen from your car and a crime comitted with it (however unlikely)? "Allowed" might not be the issue, but is it "responsible"?

H@H

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    I'm not totally familiar with your laws in S.C.; but, I think he may be right. Go to www.handgunlaw.us and check out the links to the law that covers you.
    Thank you, I went there and for whatever reason this time I found a different link letting me search SC law (had not found my answer in the CWP section that I previously had access to), and came up with this:

[SC ST SEC 16-23-20-9]

subpoint 9 basically says glove box, console, or trunk.

thanks for the link!!

I ask myself "will that sign protect me if a criminal brings in a weapon with the intention of commiting murder?" Then I act accordingly.

My dad has the same opinion as Musketeer, and I don't blame him. I'm still undecided on this point, but thats just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
    I ask myself "will that sign protect me if a criminal brings in a weapon with the intention of commiting murder?" Then I act accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
    +1 from Florida

Originally Posted by Musketeer

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    +1 from Florida

+2 from Montana
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Mine gets locked in the GB and the car gets locked too.

I'm just not confortable with the gun in the floor routine. It only takes a few extra seconds to properly secure your weapon.

IMHO
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Quote Originally Posted by BIG E View Post
    Mine gets locked in the GB and the car gets locked too.

I'm just not confortable with the gun in the floor routine. It only takes a few extra seconds to properly secure your weapon.

IMHO
    +1

When I have to leave my gun in the car, I use this:
    http://www.center-of-mass.com/

It has a cable that you wrap around one of the legs of your seat track and locks with the case lid. Won;t stop anyone determined to steal it, but is more trouble for someone just ransacking your car for loose valuables.

Bank: Drive up window, ATM, or on line.

Bars or restaurant that serves alcohol: I only go places like that about once a year, and just leave it at home.

Post Office: I buy the three stamps/year I use elsewhere, and mail at outside boxes. I e-mail or fax everything else. Snail mail is a waste of time and money!

ABC Store: Gotta leave it in the car, but only very briefly.

Gov offices, jails: I try not to do business in person with them!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesy_26 View Post
    When I have to leave my gun in the car, I use this:
    http://www.center-of-mass.com/

It has a cable that you wrap around one of the legs of your seat track and locks with the case lid. Won;t stop anyone determined to steal it, but is more trouble for someone just ransacking your car for loose valuables.
    +1 on the COM! I have two keyed the same.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I put mine in the Console and lock the truck... I just take it out of the holster and leave the holster on. And just put it back in the holster when I get back to the truck. Perfectly legal in SC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links