ATTN Michigan Residents

This is a discussion on ATTN Michigan Residents within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to call my local PD and ask them how I should handle this situation. Thanks for all the replies! I am not ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 30 of 30

Thread: ATTN Michigan Residents

  1. #16
    Member Array CelticWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    371
    I am going to call my local PD and ask them how I should handle this situation. Thanks for all the replies!

    I am not ashamed at all. Don't want to lose my job.
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8


    http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    Senior Member Array rmarkob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    535
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    From my understanding in cop school, when the LEO runs your plate the registered owner shows up and it states "CPL applied for and approved" the registered owner has a CPL.
    That's not the case in every state, though.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

  4. #18
    JD
    JD is offline
    Administrator
    Array JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    19,130
    Quote Originally Posted by rmarkob View Post
    That's not the case in every state, though.
    While that is true, this thread is geared towards MI, not other states.

  5. #19
    Senior Member Array rmarkob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    535
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Are you affraid that your co-workers will find out you carry at work, or is there another reason you wouldn't want them to know?
    I'm not the OP, but I have plenty of family members who have no need to know I carry. I've often wondered how I should handle it if pulled over with one of them in my car. They're from NJ, and have never lived in a free state. "Only criminals and LEOs carry guns!"
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

  6. #20
    JD
    JD is offline
    Administrator
    Array JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    19,130
    Quote Originally Posted by rmarkob View Post
    I'm not the OP, but I have plenty of family members who have no need to know I carry. I've often wondered how I should handle it if pulled over with one of them in my car. They're from NJ, and have never lived in a free state. "Only criminals and LEOs carry guns!"
    I agree, but in this case the OP was going to great lengths to conceal the fact that he carries, and any answer that I would give depends greatly on answers to those questions.

    I may be slightly coarse on the matter, but if I'm driving someone and I have a firearm legally, well they're just going to have to deal with it.

    I don't care if they freak out or not, if they do, maybe the officer will give them a ride home

    As I've also stated, if I didn't want some people to know that I carry, I would not put myself in a position or possibly put myself in a position to make that information readily available.

    IE. If I don't want people in my car to know that I carry:

    A: Don't let those people in your car.
    B: Don't carry while they are in the car, lock it up properly and secure it in the trunk.

    If in fact MI law requires you to inform the officer even if your NOT carrying (it's been a while since I lived in MI), there's not much the OP can do to stop from being asked even before he has a chance to provide any other info, especially if MI CCWs are linked to their plates and or driving licenses.

    So here's how it could go.

    Officer: Are you armed:

    OP: Ummm, ummmm, ummmm,

    Officer: Get out of the car slowly.

    See, trying to think of an answer on the fly, without wanting to alert your co-workers could cause you to hesitate in answering the officers questions and give him cause to be alarmed, which is generally not good, instead of having a story of:

    Celtic was pulled over yesterday and we found out that he carries a legal firearm.

    We can get a story of:

    Celtic got pulled over, and had a gun, he got yanked out of the car at gunpoint, searched, and detained until they found out he was legal.

    Granted, that's a total stretch, but it could happen like that, I'd rahter just be upfront with everyone and save the hassle.

    I can totally understand the OPs wants for secrecy, as I have to worry about the same employer policies, but I'm not going to make my life harder at a traffic stop in my own property just to keep my coworkers from learning that I carry a gun, unless we're getting stopped on company property it's no one else's darn business, and further more, me carrying a gun in my car on my way home has nothing to do with carrying at work if I do desire.

    That's why I asked, different rationals for maintaining a higher state of privacy can determine which answers I give.



    Besides, if I get fired for carrying a gun, NOT ON company property, I'm going to sue for wrongful termination and open my own gunshop

  7. #21
    Member Array rwojcik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    If in fact MI law requires you to inform the officer even if your NOT carrying (it's been a while since I lived in MI), there's not much the OP can do to stop from being asked even before he has a chance to provide any other info, especially if MI CCWs are linked to their plates and or driving licenses.
    :
    actually you ned to disclose if you are carrying. If pulled over your permit will be on LEIN so LEO should be aware of permit but not if armed. so good idea to disclose permit and if carrying but not required if no gun is present.

  8. #22
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    44,418
    How about banking in Michigan?

    Do you hand the teller a note...

    "Good morning, I want you to know that I am armed, but this is not a hold up! Please don't say anything, because the gal standing beside me does not know that I have a gun. Just quietly shake your head 'yes' if you understand! Thanks for your help!"

    I know, I know, you probably can't even have a gun in a MI bank.

    OK, then this note...

    "Good morning, I want you to know that I am usually armed, but this is not a hold up! Please don't say anything, because the gal standing beside me does not know that I have a gun that I was forced to leave in the car, just outside the bank doors. Just quietly shake your head 'yes' if you understand! Thanks for your help!"
    ************************************************** *****

    Just hand the cop your License and Permit...'Nuff Said...
    If members in your carpool find out, so what?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

  9. #23
    VIP Member Array Tubby45's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Making ammo.
    Posts
    3,047
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I know, I know, you probably can't even have a gun in a MI bank.
    Yes we can carry in banks. We can even carry in police stations, unlike FL.

  10. #24
    Senior Member Array rmarkob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    535
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Besides, if I get fired for carrying a gun, NOT ON company property, I'm going to sue for wrongful termination and open my own gunshop
    Good plan - and we on DC just might be able to recommend somebody in your vicinity with gunshop experience!
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

  11. #25
    Member Array ttpete's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Mich
    Posts
    333
    I've been pulled over a couple of times. I just handed over the DL along with the permit. I was asked if I was carrying, and I said "Absolutely". Nothing more was said.

    As far as the poster goes, he's got two choices.
    1. Don't carry
    2. Don't carpool.

    Always understand that a work environment is a competitive one. If you are doing something against policy and a co-worker knows it, he will be tempted to use that against you if it will better his career. Everyone is fighting for a bigger slice of the pie and will do what they have to in order to get it.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

    Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

  12. #26
    Senior Member
    Array Landor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    636
    What happens when that other person in your car is your extremely left boss or manager?

  13. #27
    Senior Member Array kavity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    614
    For those of you saying "if they find out so what", you don't seem to understand his need for privacy. Apparently his carrying is in conflict with his job. He doesn't want to lose that job so "if they find out so what" isn't going to work for him--not everyone has the "so what?" luxury.

    I think the note is a wise idea. Also, calling the local LEO's and seeing if that would cover the requirement. I imagine that it would--legally. Most LEO would understand your need for privacy. However, it would probably put him on edge or make the conversation awkward especially if he had any requests of you regarding your firearm. How could he communicate them with you without alerting the others?

    Sucks that you HAVE to inform the officer in Michigan. I would probably inform the officer just because I think it would get me out of a ticket ;) and I would like to know if I was a LEO (rather than find out by seeing it or something). But here in VA if I was in the op's situation I could just keep my mouth shut if I wanted to.

  14. #28
    Member Array Quonset Hut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    Sucks that you HAVE to inform the officer in Michigan. I would probably inform the officer just because I think it would get me out of a ticket ;) and I would like to know if I was a LEO (rather than find out by seeing it or something). But here in VA if I was in the op's situation I could just keep my mouth shut if I wanted to.
    The notice requirement is only for when you are carrying a firearm. However, they will run your license and see you have a CPL and you will probably get ragged on even though you had no specific duty to tell them then. I answer the phone at the Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners www.mcrgo.org and we get calls on this often. You don't have to tell them, but it is better to say you have a CPL but are not armed. Calling your local PD for advice is not the way to go - the person on the other end of the line may not really know but give you some answer anyway. Learn the laws, links to the actual statutes are on our website. As for keeping it quiet if stopped while carrying, I have my doubts. Perhaps the best you can do is to put the CPL license on top when you hand them your info.

  15. #29
    Ex Member Array Joe R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by Quonset Hut View Post
    You don't have to tell them, but it is better to say you have a CPL but are not armed.
    I disagree for several reasons.

    The same situation exists in Ohio, and I will not say anything about guns or licenses if I am not carrying. Why? Because I don't have to. And I don't want to reinforce any cop's personal opinion that I should notify when not armed.

    The law is the law. For us and for them.

    I will do same in Michigan.

  16. #30
    Member Array saila22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    16
    Ok, so here in Michigan is the CPL tied to both the vehicle and the drivers license, or just one of them? The vehicle I drive most often is a company provided vehicle that is not registered in my name, so if the CPL is tied to a vehicles registration, the LEO would not know the driver has a CPL.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Attn mississippi residents!!!!!
    By RTSteve in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 19th, 2010, 01:55 PM
  2. Attn: NC Residents, Two Pro-Gun Bills to be Considered on Tuesday in Raleigh!
    By sspargo in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: May 30th, 2009, 12:10 PM
  3. Attn PA Residents-HB641 needs your help
    By .45acp in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: December 11th, 2007, 02:50 PM
  4. Attn Georgia residents whose GFL took longer than 60 days to be issued
    By mzmtg in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 23rd, 2006, 05:45 PM