ATTN Michigan Residents

This is a discussion on ATTN Michigan Residents within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to call my local PD and ask them how I should handle this situation. Thanks for all the replies! I am not ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ATTN Michigan Residents

I am going to call my local PD and ask them how I should handle this situation. Thanks for all the replies!

I am not ashamed at all. Don't want to lose my job.
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    From my understanding in cop school, when the LEO runs your plate the registered owner shows up and it states "CPL applied for and approved" the registered owner has a CPL.
    That's not the case in every state, though.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rmarkob View Post
    That's not the case in every state, though.
    While that is true, this thread is geared towards MI, not other states.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Are you affraid that your co-workers will find out you carry at work, or is there another reason you wouldn't want them to know?
    I'm not the OP, but I have plenty of family members who have no need to know I carry. I've often wondered how I should handle it if pulled over with one of them in my car. They're from NJ, and have never lived in a free state. "Only criminals and LEOs carry guns!"

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rmarkob View Post
    I'm not the OP, but I have plenty of family members who have no need to know I carry. I've often wondered how I should handle it if pulled over with one of them in my car. They're from NJ, and have never lived in a free state. "Only criminals and LEOs carry guns!"
    I agree, but in this case the OP was going to great lengths to conceal the fact that he carries, and any answer that I would give depends greatly on answers to those questions.

I may be slightly coarse on the matter, but if I'm driving someone and I have a firearm legally, well they're just going to have to deal with it.

I don't care if they freak out or not, if they do, maybe the officer will give them a ride home

As I've also stated, if I didn't want some people to know that I carry, I would not put myself in a position or possibly put myself in a position to make that information readily available.

IE. If I don't want people in my car to know that I carry:

A: Don't let those people in your car.
    B: Don't carry while they are in the car, lock it up properly and secure it in the trunk.

If in fact MI law requires you to inform the officer even if your NOT carrying (it's been a while since I lived in MI), there's not much the OP can do to stop from being asked even before he has a chance to provide any other info, especially if MI CCWs are linked to their plates and or driving licenses.

So here's how it could go.

Officer: Are you armed:

OP: Ummm, ummmm, ummmm,

Officer: Get out of the car slowly.

See, trying to think of an answer on the fly, without wanting to alert your co-workers could cause you to hesitate in answering the officers questions and give him cause to be alarmed, which is generally not good, instead of having a story of:

Celtic was pulled over yesterday and we found out that he carries a legal firearm.

We can get a story of:

Celtic got pulled over, and had a gun, he got yanked out of the car at gunpoint, searched, and detained until they found out he was legal.

Granted, that's a total stretch, but it could happen like that, I'd rahter just be upfront with everyone and save the hassle.

I can totally understand the OPs wants for secrecy, as I have to worry about the same employer policies, but I'm not going to make my life harder at a traffic stop in my own property just to keep my coworkers from learning that I carry a gun, unless we're getting stopped on company property it's no one else's darn business, and further more, me carrying a gun in my car on my way home has nothing to do with carrying at work if I do desire.

That's why I asked, different rationals for maintaining a higher state of privacy can determine which answers I give.

Besides, if I get fired for carrying a gun, NOT ON company property, I'm going to sue for wrongful termination and open my own gunshop

If in fact MI law requires you to inform the officer even if your NOT carrying (it's been a while since I lived in MI), there's not much the OP can do to stop from being asked even before he has a chance to provide any other info, especially if MI CCWs are linked to their plates and or driving licenses.
    :
    actually you ned to disclose if you are carrying. If pulled over your permit will be on LEIN so LEO should be aware of permit but not if armed. so good idea to disclose permit and if carrying but not required if no gun is present.

How about banking in Michigan?

Do you hand the teller a note...

"Good morning, I want you to know that I am armed, but this is not a hold up! Please don't say anything, because the gal standing beside me does not know that I have a gun. Just quietly shake your head 'yes' if you understand! Thanks for your help!"

I know, I know, you probably can't even have a gun in a MI bank.

OK, then this note...

"Good morning, I want you to know that I am usually armed, but this is not a hold up! Please don't say anything, because the gal standing beside me does not know that I have a gun that I was forced to leave in the car, just outside the bank doors. Just quietly shake your head 'yes' if you understand! Thanks for your help!"

Just hand the cop your License and Permit...'Nuff Said...
    If members in your carpool find out, so what?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I know, I know, you probably can't even have a gun in a MI bank.
    Yes we can carry in banks. We can even carry in police stations, unlike FL.

Besides, if I get fired for carrying a gun, NOT ON company property, I'm going to sue for wrongful termination and open my own gunshop
    Good plan - and we on DC just might be able to recommend somebody in your vicinity with gunshop experience!

I've been pulled over a couple of times. I just handed over the DL along with the permit. I was asked if I was carrying, and I said "Absolutely". Nothing more was said.

As far as the poster goes, he's got two choices.
    1. Don't carry
    2. Don't carpool.

Always understand that a work environment is a competitive one. If you are doing something against policy and a co-worker knows it, he will be tempted to use that against you if it will better his career. Everyone is fighting for a bigger slice of the pie and will do what they have to in order to get it.
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

What happens when that other person in your car is your extremely left boss or manager?

For those of you saying "if they find out so what", you don't seem to understand his need for privacy. Apparently his carrying is in conflict with his job. He doesn't want to lose that job so "if they find out so what" isn't going to work for him--not everyone has the "so what?" luxury.

I think the note is a wise idea. Also, calling the local LEO's and seeing if that would cover the requirement. I imagine that it would--legally. Most LEO would understand your need for privacy. However, it would probably put him on edge or make the conversation awkward especially if he had any requests of you regarding your firearm. How could he communicate them with you without alerting the others?

Sucks that you HAVE to inform the officer in Michigan. I would probably inform the officer just because I think it would get me out of a ticket ;) and I would like to know if I was a LEO (rather than find out by seeing it or something). But here in VA if I was in the op's situation I could just keep my mouth shut if I wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    Sucks that you HAVE to inform the officer in Michigan. I would probably inform the officer just because I think it would get me out of a ticket ;) and I would like to know if I was a LEO (rather than find out by seeing it or something). But here in VA if I was in the op's situation I could just keep my mouth shut if I wanted to.
    The notice requirement is only for when you are carrying a firearm. However, they will run your license and see you have a CPL and you will probably get ragged on even though you had no specific duty to tell them then. I answer the phone at the Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners www.mcrgo.org and we get calls on this often. You don't have to tell them, but it is better to say you have a CPL but are not armed. Calling your local PD for advice is not the way to go - the person on the other end of the line may not really know but give you some answer anyway. Learn the laws, links to the actual statutes are on our website. As for keeping it quiet if stopped while carrying, I have my doubts. Perhaps the best you can do is to put the CPL license on top when you hand them your info.

Quote Originally Posted by Quonset Hut View Post
    You don't have to tell them, but it is better to say you have a CPL but are not armed.
    I disagree for several reasons.

The same situation exists in Ohio, and I will not say anything about guns or licenses if I am not carrying. Why? Because I don't have to. And I don't want to reinforce any cop's personal opinion that I should notify when not armed.

The law is the law. For us and for them.

I will do same in Michigan.

Ok, so here in Michigan is the CPL tied to both the vehicle and the drivers license, or just one of them? The vehicle I drive most often is a company provided vehicle that is not registered in my name, so if the CPL is tied to a vehicles registration, the LEO would not know the driver has a CPL.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links