Oregon Teacher loses court suit to carry concealed in school.

This is a discussion on Oregon Teacher loses court suit to carry concealed in school. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007Nov...eacher,00.html Just a link since Fox has a copyright statement prohibiting distributing their article....

Thread: Oregon Teacher loses court suit to carry concealed in school.

VIP Member

Oregon Teacher loses court suit to carry concealed in school.

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007Nov...eacher,00.html

Just a link since Fox has a copyright statement prohibiting distributing their article.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

2. Remove Ads

Wow. bet that put her in the spotlight at the office. All eyes on her to see any bulges...
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

I expected that.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Well, I hope that lady's lawyer has the gumption to take this into Federal court; this could be a decision that has the potential of a SCOTUS case. I just hope her Husband doesn't decide to show up at school one day now that he knows she is disarmed.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

At the local level (Jackson County, where Medford is located), I did as well. But that just means local fears have yielded to stupidity for the time being, via the judge's chair.

"Allowing staff to carry weapons into school buildings wouldn't enhance safety, it would only make it worse," Gerking said. "We'd have a completely new risk of accidental injuries as a result of these weapons."
    As if the plaintiff's personal security is an irrelevancy. Simply, she (Katz) is seeking to carry on campus not for anyone's safety but her own. Her personal safety most definitely would be enhanced.

Oregon state law specifically disallows any public entity except the state legislature from denying its citizens the right to keep and bear arms. Law, ordinance, edict, policy, writ, posted sign, disapproval, retaliatory action because of one's refusal to be indimidated ... doesn't matter. The school district is a publicly funded state entity, not a private business. It may not legally disallow the carry of firearms by upstanding adults licensed to carry. The law is clear, and it is that simple. This judge was in the bag, sadly.

This is just the first volley, at the county circuit court level. Can't imagine Katz stopping until this mess is judged by the Oregon Supreme Court. Ditto on the suggestion that it's sufficient material for a federal lawsuit, to attack the unjust nature of such restrictions at the national level. Wouldn't it be nice, if this could be one of the cards that toppled the whole house of horse manure that's piled on the 2A? Yup.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; November 10th, 2007 at 12:48 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

She should persue a teaching position in Utah, she would be 'good to go'...
    On that issue...the smartest state in the union.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

At the risk of looking like an ass (probably not the first time), Fox has no right to that article...it's an AP article that they chose to reprint.

Quote Originally Posted by jsebens View Post
    At the risk of looking like an ass (probably not the first time), Fox has no right to that article...it's an AP article that they chose to reprint.
    They probably paid a licensing fee to get reprinting rights to it. We didn't pay the licensing fee, so we're not supposed to reprint it. That's how AP makes their money. Fox and others buy news from them, and show the news with ads.

I always love it when news articles/story's like this point out the fact that the ex/accused has denied the allegations.........like anyone expects otherwise.

Tells the "X" that the school is a gun free victim rich zone & that she is a "easy victim" at school.

Even so I am not surprised she lost.
    Carry 24-7 or guess right.
    NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member
    Texas CHL Instructor. www.pdtraining.us

Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    They probably paid a licensing fee to get reprinting rights to it. We didn't pay the licensing fee, so we're not supposed to reprint it. That's how AP makes their money. Fox and others buy news from them, and show the news with ads.
    Oh, see, I'm not only an ass, but ignorant. :) (Thanks for correcting me...you learn something new every day)

Well I saw this coming, just another judge that found a way to not make a real decision, pass it off to the next one.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    While I'm not surprised and this changes the subject a little. She's a brave woman to come forward and tag herself as someone that carries. This does make her less secure now her ex knows she's unarmed at school. Not to mention the scorn she's probably gotten from parents and other teachers.

She's definately someone to respect.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar

two points to poder

Might consider hiring an off duty police officer to stand guard. Probably would not take long for the school district to change their minds with a uniformed armed officer standing with arms folded in the class room.

Second, it always concerns me when we go to the courts. Chances of loosing ground are at best even in that arena. Id rather go with the vote and public pressure for change.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Links