The unwritten laws of CCW

This is a discussion on The unwritten laws of CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Bonesnofoa To unsheath your sword is to draw blood. To my mind, that sounds a bit extreme and counterproductive. If that is ...

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The unwritten laws of CCW

That Sounds A Bit Unusual To Me

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesnofoa View Post
    To unsheath your sword is to draw blood.
    To my mind, that sounds a bit extreme and counterproductive.

If that is one of your "unwritten law of CCW", I sure hope you also subscribe to the FIRST and FOREMOST and MOST IMPORTANT "unwritten law" of CCW:

Intimately know ANY and ALL of the WRITTEN laws of your residency state which govern CCW and the lawful exercise of self-defensive Lethal Force.

The truth of the matter is that in the vast majority of cases where civilians utilize a firearm for lawful self-defense, violent felony crime is deterred, controlled, prevented, merely by display and presentation of the firearm, without need of any actual shots fired at all.

Immediate problem immediately solved, and without need of anyone being hurt. That's the best outcome anyone could possibly hope for.

Of course, if the firearm has even cleared leather, presumably 100% legal justification for spilling blood already exists in your own mind and conscience. Thus,
    if shots need be fired, they presumably, certainly will be. Your action had better be reasonable to the mind of your local Prosecutor, or else you will be facing a jury of 12 of your peers who will be conducting a preponderance of all pertinent evidence to determine if your action, in their opinion, was reasonable or not, and in compliance with the Law or not.

I do not disagree with your statement in the general sense, to the extent that you have already made the decision that you are capable and willing to exercise lethal force in self-defense if and when justifiable and warranted. And I do wholeheartedly agree that the first valid so-called "Victim's Right" is the right to not become a Victim of a violent criminal Predator in the first place - not for any reason whatsoever.

But your statement above clearly infers or implies your apparent (?) mindset or belief that if your gun clears leather in your hands, blood WILL be drawn.

Best be careful what you say in public forums.

If you are ever involved in a SD shooting, prosecutors can have their field day in court with your own statements, since they are admissable, prima facie evidence of the mindset you held and carried along with your gun when you strapped on that gun and walked out into the public domain.

Put another way, carry your "big stick" if you will, but sometimes it's Wise to both walk as well as talk softly . . . JMHO
    "He who allows another to take his life, who hath no authority for that purpose, when it might be preserved by defense, is guilty of Self-Murder, for God hath enjoined him to seek the continuance of his Life, and Mother Nature teaches every creature to defend itself".

2. Remove Ads

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    If you have to draw your weapon, make sure you have the will to use it.

"The fastest draw doesn't always win the gun fight, but the best shot does." (with thanks to Louis Lamour.)

Also while not mine but it gives you pause to think..."Make friends with everyone you meet, but have a plan to kill them."
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornerangerboogie View Post
    "The fastest draw doesn't always win the gun fight, but the best shot does." (with thanks to Louis Lamour.)
    That goes hand in hand with, "You can't MISS fast enough to win."

Ron
    To help stay out of trouble and safe, remember to leave your ego inside your front door as you leave your house whenever you are going out armed.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    These are all great responses, just what I was hoping for.

How about another one borrowed from aviation that can easily apply to us; There are old pilots and bold pilots, but there are no old and bold pilots.
    Very true in both activities. I'm the most chicken pilot you'll probably ever meet. Flying scares me, but I love it anyway.

RE: Sixtos' Location: They seem to be smarter than me. I still go out, but instead of hunting I call it "gun-hiking." To call it hunting would indicate that I ever got to shoot at something, but I can't find 'em.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Use your brain before your weapon.

fast is smooth.

be the first to call 911

always carry a reload.
    always carry your cellphone.
    always use common sense.

not necessarily in that order!

You probably are not as tough, fast, smart or mean as you think you are, and pray someone does not prove it to you.
    Murphy resides in all things at all times. Prepare to head him off as well as you can.
    Luck sometimes is the only difference between winning and losing.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Quote Originally Posted by NDN-MAN View Post
    Don't go to stupid places. Don't do stupid things. Don't hang out with stupid people.
    Also my grandfather always said " If you don't have any business there without a gun, You don't have any business there with a gun"
    thats a good one

Always keep my spray handy, as it may allow me to neutralize a threat without firing my weapon.

While driving, have a gun immediately accessible. A drive can go from normal to carjacking in 1 second.

Never assume my next trip out of the house will be one in which I won't need a gun.

If the occassion is important enough for me to carry 1, it's important enough for me to carry 2.

Always carry at least 1 spare mag.

Forget about convenience--focus on survival.

Realize bad things happen to good people, and try to be prepared.

Realize of all the people who will be victimized today, few if any expected it to happen.

And one of my favorites, which I lifted from a member here but I cannot remember who it was (my apologies for not giving credit): If I have a gunfight forced upon me, I intend to win it.

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Very true in both activities. I'm the most chicken pilot you'll probably ever meet. Flying scares me, but I love it anyway.

RE: Sixtos' Location: They seem to be smarter than me. I still go out, but instead of hunting I call it "gun-hiking." To call it hunting would indicate that I ever got to shoot at something, but I can't find 'em.
    Also applies to offshore sailors and motorcycle riders!

Another observation I've made over the years was the most highly trained and skilled individuals. The most truly "dangerous" people in armed and unarmed arts were some of the most polite and easy going. Be careful of these folks if you really think you're tough!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Everyone has given some really great advice.

My unwritten law is to control my actions. For me, this means not reacting in anger to situations such as aggressive drivers. Having manners, such as holding doors for people. Common courteousy seems to be a lost art. The list goes on and on, but the bottom line is to maintain control of my actions. My actions are the only actions that I can control.

We who carry handguns are under a magnifying glass. Nothing would make the media happier than to publicize the shortfall of a legally carrying citizen.

Be the standard for conduct and leave the media completely disappointed.

VIP Member
    I read this long time ago and I use it as my "mantra" when I carry:

I live a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence and de-escalation.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

me
    Some of the thing that I was told before I started carrying and I live by are:

When Carrying Butter better not melt in your mouth. (Temper check)

Don't carry unless you are willing to break leather;
    Don't break leather unless you are justified and willing to shoot;
    Don't shoot unless you are justified and willing to kill.

Shoot enough to stop the threat and no more.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    If I remember correctly, in high-school, I was taught that "we are what we eat" Was they wrong?????
    Z
    You crack me up Z!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links