The unwritten laws of CCW

This is a discussion on The unwritten laws of CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Murphy was an optimist....

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The unwritten laws of CCW

Murphy was an optimist.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post
    You must be smart enough to always be armed yet wise enough to never need to use it.
    Second post and one of the best ever. Very nicely put. That should be your signature line.

I have a couple.

1) A gun is not a talisman.

2) A round costs a quarter. Firing it can cost $30000

- Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

- Brains before bullets. But always listen to your puckering b#@@hole before your vacillating brain.

- (See my signature below).

Mother told me

My mother said "Never go anywhere half cocked", that's why I carry a 1911 fully loaded with one in the chamber and fully cocked and locked.

In a place you've only dreamed of where your soul is always free...
    How 'bout one from Teddy (no, not Kennedy. I know that's what you were all thinking):
    "Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!"
    Law without force is impotent.
    Blaise Pascal

Practice the 4 safety rules.
    Be a peacemaker.
    Always carry one plus reload and/or two.
    Prevail.

To be the most polite driver on the road. I don't need to get into a traffic altercation just because I run into a road rage nut. I ignore any gestures or comments based on my driving, my USMC license tags, or vehicle.

How about something in there about practicing with your concealed weapon? Minimun of 1 hour rehearsal drawing and reholstering per week? No good if you fumble with clothing...and worse if you drop the gun!

Perhaps a clause about minimum range time, too?
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

"A man's got to know his limitations." Harry Callahan

Some great ones on here and some that need repeating but I am going to expand a little.

Leave you ego at the door when you go out, your ego can get you in more trouble than you can ever get out of. Doesn't matter is you have a gun or not.

If you strap on a gun be absolutely sure you are willing to use it and only if you absolutely have to.

Be sure that the first thing you rely on is your brain.

VIP Member
    Be the better person.

That keeps me from flipping off the bad driver and other things that may escalate a situation into something potentially dangerous. It's very similar to pick your fights carefully.

That also coincides with humility - always have it. A lot of people allow pride (and ego) to get in the way, which in turn flares up tempers and righteousness. I knew a guy who said he'd beat up a man if he told a foul joke about his mother. I asked him if it was worth going to jail over, getting shot over, or winding up dead over, and he said....yes.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Never carry while in condition white, but always on condition yellow.
    Condition White: You are unaware of what's going on around you. Perhaps you're tired, or worried about work or school. Maybe your senses are impaired by alcohol or drugs. Either way, you are not ready--for anything.
    Condition Yellow: You are alert but calm and relaxed, scanning your surroundings for threats. You know who's in front of you, to your sides, and behind you. You don't think anyone will attack, but you are mentally ready in case something happens.
    Condition Orange: You sense that something is not right, and that you might be attacked. Perhaps there's a number of suspicious men standing around your car. Or in the classic Jeff Cooper example, a guy wearing a raincoat comes into your shop on a sweltering summer day. What's wrong with this picture?

In Orange, you are aware of the positions of all potentially hostile people around you, as well as any weapons they may be able to use--in their hands or within reach. You are developing a plan for dealing with the potential hostiles: "...first I take out the guy with the bat, then the big guy near the truck..." You have also identified multiple escape routes, depending on what response you will use. In addition to being mentally ready, you are physically ready as well.

Condition Red: The fight is on. Someone is assaulting you and you are reacting to the attack and defending yourself. You are taking immediate and decisive action to stop your opponent, flee, or get help.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    Be the better person.

That keeps me from flipping off the bad driver and other things that may escalate a situation into something potentially dangerous. It's very similar to pick your fights carefully.

That also coincides with humility - always have it. A lot of people allow pride (and ego) to get in the way, which in turn flares up tempers and righteousness. I knew a guy who said he'd beat up a man if he told a foul joke about his mother. I asked him if it was worth going to jail over, getting shot over, or winding up dead over, and he said....yes.
    Just as Betty says. That premise IMO should be the CCW GOLDEN RULE.

you can't shoot fast enough to make up for misses.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links