Taking The Family To New Orleans To Visit Family

This is a discussion on Taking The Family To New Orleans To Visit Family within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am driving my family to New Orleans soon. I was wondering if I can CCW at the Audubon Zoo and the Aquarium. I am ...

Thread: Taking The Family To New Orleans To Visit Family

Taking The Family To New Orleans To Visit Family

I am driving my family to New Orleans soon. I was wondering if I can CCW at the Audubon Zoo and the Aquarium. I am driving from Arizona and my wife and I will be packing, if you all have any helpful suggestions for the trip please comment. Before anyone starts knocking New Orleans, thats where my family lives so thats why we are taking trip there. Thanks guys!

2. Remove Ads

I live in the area and can honestly say that I have no idea. The immediate area is fairly safe. In th day light hours, the area is pretty crowded with visitors and people walking around.

If you go to their website http://www.auduboninstitute.org there is a contact area. I'd call to verify. But I do not remember seeing a sign about CCW on the premises.

It's a great zoo.
    David
    from LA

I have 5 guns.

Calling to find out if you can CC isn't a good idea. They will just tell you no over the phone most likley.

I've had apartments tell me that firearms were not allowed on the premises....One complex even told me that it was a felony to possess a firearm in an apartment. Obviously, its not illegal. Its just that the office staff didn't like guns.

Your best bet would be get in contact with the local PD, or even someone on the security team.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

can't your family find out for you?
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

VIP Member
    I've been to the Aquarium many times and I don't remember seeing any signs. I'm sure they didn't have metal detectors, or inspections. I've been to Audobon less but I don't remember seeing anything there either. My experiences were pre-Katrina, so I'm not sure if anything has changed since.

If I had to guess, I'd say both places were okay for CCW.....New Orleans is pretty laid back (exception-Katrina fiasco).

As far as "knocking New Orleans" you won't get it from me. All big cities have problems. Welcome to Louisiana and enjoy your stay here, be sure to see some sights and EAT. BTW on I-10 about a mile or so east of Lafayette, there is an exit with lots of gas stations, etc. If you exit there and go south about a quarter of a mile, look on your right and there is a combination convenience store (with gas) and restaurant in the same building. The name on the left side is something like Kyle's Kajun Kitchen, they have the best shrimp po-boys I've ever eaten. A good place for lunch if the timing works out for you. They are closed on Sundays.
    Last edited by ppkheat; November 11th, 2007 at 08:53 AM. Reason: clarification
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Don't remember seeing any signs. I pocket carried a P3AT at both places not too long ago. It has been about 4-5 months. There weren't any metal detectors when I went.

Some people have been harassed by the NOPD during traffic stops for carrying. The NOPD has the thoughts that no one should have guns but them.

When I'm in the city I put the gun in the car and off my person that way I don't have to tell them anything if I'm pulled over. It is legal to have a gun in your car permit or not.

Thanks for the info guys! I didn't want to ask my wifes family to find out because they would freak out if they knew we carried. I find it better not to say anything about guns when I am around them. I am glad my family is pro 2a, but they all relocated to Florida after Katrina. Thanks again!

I was there the year before Katrina and had a "less-than great" experience in the airport there.

What I remember was that you couldn't carry at places with a certain type of liquor license. (Don't know how you are supposed to know in advance of showing up.)

Also being within 100' (or 100 yards or SOME distance) from a parade is a no-no. I walked out of my hotel only to have a small parade come right by me (so I guess I broke the law unintentionally).

Otherwise I thought their CCW laws were pretty good. - Might check handgunlaw.us though.

Yeah, there are two liquor licenses. A Bar and a Restaurant. It goes by how much food they serve compared to alcohol. The easiest way to tell is if you have to be 18 or 21 (can't remember which) to enter they have the Bar type and you can't carry there.

Places like Chili's and Applebee's, and most other restaurants are fine. I don't go to bars so I don't usually run into a problem.

There is one place, Fox and Hound, in B.R. I was taken to for dinner. It was a large bar on one side and a restaurant on the other. They checked ID's at the door, which is required for those places with a "bar" license. That told me I couldn't carry there so I made up an excuse to go to the car to put the gun away. I should have just left and eaten somewhere else.

For Louisiana to see the restricted places check lsp.org it is the state police website, they have the statutes there along with other info.

Links