Texas CCW Law. Can I carry? . . .

This is a discussion on Texas CCW Law. Can I carry? . . . within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I research Texas CHL law I'm a little confused by a few lines. I see as non permitted carry locations as: "*on the premises ...

Thread: Texas CCW Law. Can I carry? . . .

Texas CCW Law. Can I carry? . . .

When I research Texas CHL law I'm a little confused by a few lines.
    I see as non permitted carry locations as:

"*on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other . . ."
    *On the premises of a Hospital . . ."
    *On the premises of a nursing home . . ."

followed by asteriks(*). The asteriks refer to "Do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section § 30.06."

But, I'm having trouble reading exactly what § 30.06 means.
    If I'm traveling and a Hospital or church is NOT posted as a no-carry location, then is it permissible by default?

Thanks in advance for the help.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides...” (Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria)

2. Remove Ads

M2
    Yes, 30.06 requires a specific sign to be posted. I was at a building downtown that had the 'no guns' sign (red circle with a line through a gun) that I smiled about and then ignored. It is not enforceable under state law. What made it funny was the building was a state facility...

You will find that places that are serious about keeping guns out know the law (i.e. SeaWorld).

Cheers! M2

M2
    Here the specifics...

In order to provide notice that entry on property by a license holder with a concealed handgun is forbidden, Penal Code Section 30.06(c)(3)(A) requires that a written communication contain the following language:

"PURSUANT TO SECTION 30.06, PENAL CODE (TRESPASS BY HOLDER OF A LICENSE TO CARRY A CONCEALED HANDGUN) A PERSON LICENSED UNDER SUBCHAPTER H, CHAPTER 411, GOVERNMENT CODE (CONCEALED HANDGUN LAW), MAY NOT ENTER THIS PROPERTY WITH A CONCEALED HANDGUN."

"CONFORME A LA SECCIÓN 30.06 DEL CÔDIGO PENAL (TRASPASAR PORTANDO ARMAS DE FUEGO) PERSONAS CON LICENCIA BAJO DEL SUB-CAPITULO H, CAPITULO 411, CODIGO DE GOBIERNO (LEY DE PORTAR ARMAS), NO DEBEN ENTRAR A ESTA PROPIEDAD PORTANDO UN ARMA DE FUEGO."

Penal Code Section 30.06(c)(3)(B) further states that a sign must meet the following requirements:

1. Includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;
    2. Appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and
    3. Is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.

(emphasis mine)

Cheers! M2

Good. Thanks M2.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides...” (Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria)

Yes you can.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that they don't delete laws, rather they amend them in Texas, or something like that. So, hospitals initially were off limits, but then when this changed, rather than delete the part off the statute that put them as off limits, they added the stipulation that it had to be 30.06 posted.

Of course, I could be totally wrong about the 'why', but as for the can you carry question, yes you can.

Of course, if you are the one being admitted, it would probably be a better idea to not do so. Too many people in an out of your room when you are sleeping.

Links