Always carry as you train!

This is a discussion on Always carry as you train! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have known this for quite some time but I ran afoul of it anyway at the IDPA match yesterday. The scenario started with your ...

Thread: Always carry as you train!

Always carry as you train!

I have known this for quite some time but I ran afoul of it anyway at the IDPA match yesterday.

The scenario started with your gun and mags on the table in front of you. At the start, you had to load your gun and stow the mags somewhere. It didn't matter where. I, stupidly, decided to stow the mags in the coat pocket instead of taking that extra couple of seconds to put them in the mag carriers. When the time came for a reload, guess what I did. Yep, you guessed it. Even though I "knew" the extra mags were in the pocket, my hand still swiped the coat clear reaching for where they are supposed to always be. That did two things. First, I wasted time reaching for something that wasn't there. Two, I lost even more time getting the coat arranged so I could reach into the pocket and get the mag. Oh, there was a third problem. When I did have the mag finally, it was oriented wrong and I had to take even more time to get it facing the right way.

Muscle memory, muscle memory, muscle memory. When you don't have time to think, you will fall back on training and do it that way. So, always carry as you train and train as you carry.

Maybe I ought to post that last sentence in SIXTO's thread.

2. Remove Ads

That should including dropping you expended mags to the ground instead of gently putting them in your pocket or wherever. I always have dedicated range mags since you will destroy some doing this, but when SHTF, I'll not be worrying about mags.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    That should including dropping you expended mags to the ground instead of gently putting them in your pocket or wherever. I always have dedicated range mags since you will destroy some doing this, but when SHTF, I'll not be worrying about mags.
    Glock mags are cheap.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post

Muscle memory, muscle memory, muscle memory. When you don't have time to think, you will fall back on training and do it that way. So, always carry as you train and train as you carry.

Maybe I ought to post that last sentence in SIXTO's thread.
    I think it would be a fine addition!
    "Just blame Sixto"

At our recent Georgia state IDPA match, I was the SO on a stage that's scenario stated you were using the weapon and ammo of a disabled officer. Therefore you started with all your ammo and firearm on the dummies chest and at the buzzer dropped to low cover, retrieved your firearm and went to shooting. As you were using the officers equipment there was no requirement to pouch or pocket your magazines, you simply picked them off the dummy as you needed them.

Probably 60% of the 200 shooters reached for their empty mag pouch when the gun ran dry instead of reaching down where they were actually located.

Isn't it amazing what stress and muscle memory combined can do?

Good point about carrying as you train. It's tremendously important.

For some years, I had a sportscar that I tuned for improved handling and grip on the street. My purpose was to improve my knowledge of the car's particular behavior at the limit of grip, hence I experienced a number of driving schools at regional race tracks over the time I owned the car. Yet, because the suspension, alignment, tires and everything else was left unchanged when heading to the track, everything I learned translated directly to improved safety and performance on the street. It helped, because across a number of years driving over 100Kmi on shoddy roads full of rocks, critters, bad weather and other impediments, I did not lose control once. I strongly attribute that to what's being discussed here: "carrying" as you train.

Similarly, whenever I do training, IPSC or IDPA shoots, I make sure to use my exact carry gear in the manner I normally carry. Magazines in the same place. Gun in the same holster I use on a daily basis. Clearing technique duplicating the way I know I'll want to do it, if SHTF. Magazine changes in the same way.

I view it as a life-or-death decision, since I believe it will also directly translate the skills learned to actual performance if the need to defend myself should occur again. I think it makes all the difference in the world.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I had an experience like that. Only with horizontal mag carry. I got a horizontal mag carry (bullets up, strong side at my 12:30). I trained diligently with it and carried my spare that way for some time. Since I could not carry that way in IDPA shoots, I decided to move to vertical carry (bullets forward, weak side, 8:300).

Doing my dry fire practice, I practiced an immediate action (tap, rack, click) followed by a mag change. I instinctively reached for the mag in the horizontal pouch which wasn't there. This was only dry fire practice and I flubbed it. I now try and carry firearm / reload in same place (not possible with pocket carry though).

Oh, and just FYI, I do carry with the same rig I use for IDPA. Just for this reason.

VIP Member
    Exactly!

Many hours spent on the Police Range taught my right hand to go to my right hip! I don't switch my carry around... no cross draw or shoulder holsters for this guy.

It's been a long time since I was a LEO but a lot of the habits and training still remain.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Very good advice indeed. Thanks for pointing it out.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Links