Vehicle Carry in FL as non-resident

This is a discussion on Vehicle Carry in FL as non-resident within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be travelling to Florida soon and was wondering if the "auto is an extension of your home" rule applies to out of staters? ...

I will be travelling to Florida soon and was wondering if the "auto is an extension of your home" rule applies to out of staters? And if so is it the same in all states with this rule? Thanks for your input on this matter.

I believe that it does; but, I'm not positive. I'd check out the links at www.handgunlaw.us to be sure.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Administrator
    Why wouldnt it? Your in Fla., and subject to Fla laws. Do you think you wont have to pay attention to Florida speed limits because your from LA?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well, since my home isn't in Florida I was concerned. If you compare speed limits to gun laws you may wind up in a lot more trouble than you are hoping for. Please just compare apples to apples.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tbeubs17 View Post
    Well, since my home isn't in Florida I was concerned. If you compare speed limits to gun laws you may wind up in a lot more trouble than you are hoping for. Please just compare apples to apples.

Oh but it is apples and apples. My point was simply that all Florida laws apply to you if your inside of Florida, no matter where you are from.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    I believe that it does; but, I'm not positive. I'd check out the links at www.handgunlaw.us to be sure.
    I would tend to agree with Supertac45. And I definitely concur with the suggestion to check handgunlaw.us.
    Last edited by TN_Mike; November 11th, 2007 at 06:43 PM. Reason: I stink at spelling
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

"peacable journey" is a federal law. check it out, but it's for driving from one state through others to your destination. If you don't stop in the states that your ccw doesn't cover you in, and your gun is unloaded, and locked in trunk you can carry it. But don't stop for gas, have a blown tire...
    other then that for ccw check state laws and reprosity with states you will be going through.

Senior Moderator
    In the state of Florida, you can have a loaded firearm in your car, provided it is "securely encased".

A glovebox is specifically specified as "securely encased" for purposes of the law.

See Florida Statute 790.001 et seq. There are also a couple threads on this on the forums.

The usual disclaimer applies - I'm not a lawyer, and I'm not offering legal advice. I've read Gutmacher's book, and I once stayed in a Holiday Inn Express, but if you get in trouble, you're on your own.....

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

You don't need a licence to carry in your car. Keep the weapon in your glove box or center console. Do not leave the gun out in the open or on your body without a licence, that is against the law. Just remember to keep your insurance ect... in a different place than the weapon.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

I will be driving to FL for Thanksgiving to see family. I understand "peaceable journey" and "enclosed in GB or console"; does this apply to non-permitees? I have applied for my permit, but have not received it yet. Does FL allow anyone to have a weapon, i.e. me? How about taking my gun into my father's home? Do I have to ask permission or should I leave it locked in the car?

VIP Member
    That would be up to your father's discretion to allow the gun into his home. The rub would be in transporting the firearm from your vehicle into your Dad's if that forces you into a public or common area which is forbidden in Fla without a CCW (one of those stupid & pesky section of the law that still have not been corrected). Although I doubt pretty much that LEO will be checking up on you as you park your car, get out & go inside your Father's domicile. If you park within the limits of your father's property, you should be OK provided the gun is not visible and in a proper container (not on you).
    But same as Matt, I am not a lawyer, I have an old copy of Guttmacher's book and I never stayed at a Holiday Inn, just Motel 6.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Keep in mind that the states that you drive through may not permit it.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Thanks for all of the input it became moot today when my permit showed up. Makes it a little easier. Thanks again.

I'll also use the same "I'm not a lawyer" disclaimer.

Having your permit changes very little. Florida's vehicle rules apply to those with or without a permit. The permit does allow you to carry concealed on your person. In the console or glove compartment is OK -- with or without a permit.

An obscure one that I can't even guess about. You are exempt from the federal prohibition of being within 1,000 feet of a school is you have a permit. I assume that means a permit from any state, not just the one you are traveling in.

Links