Do you feel confident with your pocket carry?

This is a discussion on Do you feel confident with your pocket carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I feel plenty confident with my pocket carry. I've pocket carried since I got my CHL. First it was a Walther PP, then I upgraded ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you feel confident with your pocket carry?

I feel plenty confident with my pocket carry. I've pocket carried since I got my CHL. First it was a Walther PP, then I upgraded to a Glock 26, and my most recent upgrade is a Glock 30, which yes, I pocket carry. Works fine for me and I can have my hand on my gun when normally you couldn't. I'd like to see most people beat me in a draw when I already have half the draw done by just sticking my hand in my pocket.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington

...we are NOT a free people.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    "if I was confronted with BG right in front of me I am pretty sure I'd lose."

Correct that as soon as possible but, in the meantime try never to talk yourself into defeat ahead of time. You never want to pre-program your brain to lose a confrontation.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Those that are seriously into the martial arts know that part of the "kata" is that you are mentally fighting with preprogrammed moves. It's easy for you to mentally picture an attack - first in slow motion, and then react to it. You would gradually speed up the attack - response practice. This procedure will get you mentally and physically up to speed.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "if I was confronted with BG right in front of me I am pretty sure I'd lose."

Correct that as soon as possible but, in the meantime try never to talk yourself into defeat ahead of time. You never want to pre-program your brain to lose a confrontation.
    excellent comment!

Quote Originally Posted by Obiwan View Post
    Those that are seriously into the martial arts know that part of the "kata" is that you are mentally fighting with preprogrammed moves. It's easy for you to mentally picture an attack - first in slow motion, and then react to it. You would gradually speed up the attack - response practice. This procedure will get you mentally and physically up to speed.

Thanks...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    I love pocket carrying.

@ roberererere being alert helps avoid these "omgz I need to draw" situations all together. If a situation starts to look sketchy my hand goes in my pocket (and on my grip). I imagine being surprised..no matter how you are carrying will make it harder to draw.

Also, I avoid keeping my gun (642 as well) in my cargo pockets because A.) they are big and the gun, even in a holster, moves more than I like B.) they aren't as easy to access as a normal pocket C) it looks kinda funny if you put your hand in your cargo pocket when things start looking sketchy.
    I don't use the lower pockets in my cargo's. But like I said , I rarely pocket carry anyway. I look at pocket carry as "deep concealment".
    You can't "avoid" all situations. I know no method of carry is 100%, but my experience with pocket carry verses IWB or OWB is not near as fast. Also sitting down is a dissadvantage.
    I've tried everything with pocket carry trying to see why people prefer it and just can't come up anything. Pocket carry in a coat pocket is excellent provided the gun can't easily fall out. To each their own, just my own experience.

Quote Originally Posted by fairway1 View Post
    I don't think jean pockets are well suited for pocket carry.
    Depends on the jeans, I always test out a new pair before I buy them.

For me the reason to pocket carry is that I always wear tucked-in shirts, either button-down or golf-style. I'm also usually wearing docker style pants, but occasionaly jeans. In any case, pocket carry is the best concealing method of carry for my situation, although drawing while seated is an issue that needs practice. But after carrying this way for more than 1 and a half years I am confident that the concealment works.

Quote Originally Posted by purple88yj View Post
    Sweeping a cover garment or grabbing your crotch kind of gives things away that something isn't quite right.
    I don't think I've ever thought of grabbing one's crotch as a sign of an imminent deployment of a handgun, but I will agree that if I saw someone doing that I'd think something isn't quite right, as well!

But as others have mentioned the great thing about pocket carry is how easy it is to be in "condition orange", ready to immediately respond, without giving anything away. Depending on the gun and the size of the pocket, one can have a positive grip on the gun without drawing attention to it.
    "For evil to flourish all that is required is for good men to spout clichés." - Hugh Laurie

I only buy pants with very wide pockets. I can easily get my hand in a firing grip and draw smoothly. If I didn't have my hand in my pocket, it would be slower than drawing from under a jacket, about the same as drawing from under an untucked shirt, and faster than drawing from a tuckable holster or fannypack.

The main disadvantage is that I cannot draw while seated (e.g. while driving).

My pocket gun is Bersa Thunder380CC and I'm pleased with it. If it's too hot to carry my Sig I usually go with the Bersa in my pocket.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Pocket carry my S&W stubby .38 a lot. Makes for a quick draw, especially when you inform the BG that you are retrieving your wallet for him.
    Lots of times I'll boot carry so retrieval is easy when I'm down on my knees "beggin fer me life".
    When in doubt, wup it out....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links