Do you feel confident with your pocket carry?

This is a discussion on Do you feel confident with your pocket carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While I have no problems toting my SP101 in my front pocket I do have confident issues if "SHTF". I could see if I was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you feel confident with your pocket carry?

Do you feel confident with your pocket carry?

While I have no problems toting my SP101 in my front pocket I do have confident issues if "SHTF". I could see if I was in a situation whereas I was in the MiniMart down the street and a BG decides to hold it up and I might be hunkered down between aisles where I have the time to draw, I could get by with that scenerio but what if in another scenerio if I was confronted with BG right in front of me I am pretty sure I'd lose. To be honest I would feel better with a fanny pack versus pocket carry. Cannot wait until my belt holsters come in!

2. Remove Ads

i'm not nearly as confident with it (PF-9) compared to my main carry. sometimes i'm just lazy, and that dang pocketgun is just too convienient. not because of time to draw, though. i find the pocket to be pretty natural and quick. limited capacity, and less accuracy are my concerns.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

Cody, are you saying that you are not confident with your gun or you are not confident in your draw. I don't pocket carry anything yet, but I think it would be a quicker draw than a gun iwb, especially if you are wearing a coat or jacket. If you think the gun is inadequate, why not carry two?

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I find myself just slipping my hand in my pocket when I get into situations like walking to my car in a parking lot, or coming out of a store. my hand is on my gun, and no one knows any different.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

While it is usually smother and faster to draw from the hip (or shoulder), pocket carry is a viable option but some thought has to be put into how you carry it.

If your pockets are tight, you will find it difficult to draw rapidly. The same holds true if your pockets are too big (note: I am not meaning the pocket opening, but the pocket itself) as the gun may tend to roll around. A pocket holster will help considerably in this area.

What you loose in speed, you gain in surprise. If confronted by a thug, you can have your hand in your pocket or reach into your pocket without raising too many alarms. Sweeping a cover garment or grabbing your crotch kind of gives things away that something isn't quite right.

I keep my BUG in my right front pocket as well as a few dollars (big bills and change go in the other). This way people see me reach into that pocket frequently and it draws almost no attention. I can show a BG that my wallet holds no money. I have a very small wallet that only holds the essentials (DL, permit, few business cards, ATM/Debit cards). I can "calmly" reach into my money pocket, retrieve my .380 and quickly render six rounds into the offender while putting room between the two of us. Once that space is opened up, then I can make the move to my primary.

Your choice of BUG will make your options change a little. I find that a little semi-auto fits the billet well in most cases, but I haven't ruled out a revo completely. In fact I have considered picking up a Taurus 650 or something similar to put my AMT into a semi-retirement.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

VIP Member
    I do pocket carry at times , but hate it. Most pockets are not loose enough to get my hand all the way around the grip before coming out of my pocket. I feel I would drop the gun in a stressfull situation. Plus if you are squatting down or in an akward position, you dont have access to your gun. Loose coat pockets are great, but pants pockets, I just don't feel safe.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Not realy since i just got it but after more testing I will see but it's a 9mm so it will do as far as cal.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Snowdoctor hit it on the head!No one knows for sure why my hand is in my pocket.But if I have to sweep a cover garment away or lift the garment,that might say"gun".I know a lot of you do not like pocket carry.I am just saying what works for me and more importantly what I feel confident with.As far as carry methods,that is.

Quote Originally Posted by fairway1 View Post
    Cody, are you saying that you are not confident with your gun or you are not confident in your draw. I don't pocket carry anything yet, but I think it would be a quicker draw than a gun iwb, especially if you are wearing a coat or jacket. If you think the gun is inadequate, why not carry two?
    I am confident with my lil Ruger, shoot it well. At 30' from a bench I group at the 4 o'clock position with a 3" group, first time shooting the sp101 so there is room for improvement. Won't win a Bianchi Cup but feel it is adequate for defensive purposes.

I guess I just don't feel confident in the carry method. I basically wear jeans and look for adequate pocket depth before I buy. Sometimes it is a struggle to get the revolver out, not all the time but in some jeans it is a challange. Actually, it no fault to the revolver cause in some instances it is tough just to get my hand in my pocket and I do not have big hands....

Dave

I have trained enough with the pocket carry unit to be comfortable and confident it can get the basic job done (a KelTec P3AT 380 ACP), but then the primary's purpose is to be the main unit and it won't have a problem of stopping what needs to be stopped (a CZ P01 9mm stoked with DoubleTap 124gr +P). When I'm out and about, generally I've got both.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    I am confident with my lil Ruger, shoot it well. At 30' from a bench I group at the 4 o'clock position with a 3" group, first time shooting the sp101 so there is room for improvement. Won't win a Bianchi Cup but feel it is adequate for defensive purposes.

I guess I just don't feel confident in the carry method. I basically wear jeans and look for adequate pocket depth before I buy. Sometimes it is a struggle to get the revolver out, not all the time but in some jeans it is a challange. Actually, it no fault to the revolver cause in some instances it is tough just to get my hand in my pocket and I do not have big hands....

Dave
    I don't think jean pockets are well suited for pocket carry.

"I don't think jean pockets are well suited for pocket carry."

Some of us disagree with that view.

I have found that I need at least a 6 inch pocket opening to get a good firing grip on the gun. Jeans don't work for me, I can barely get my empty hand in the pocket. I prefer the Docker type pants.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdoctor View Post
    I find myself just slipping my hand in my pocket when I get into situations like walking to my car in a parking lot, or coming out of a store. my hand is on my gun, and no one knows any different.
    Same here. I like pocket carry. It is easy to just put my gun(in holster) in my pocket. No opening pants, adjusting the holster, etc. I practice drawing enough so that I am reasonably confident about my draw. And, I can carry in any kind of pants or shorts, including dockers, cargo and dress pants. I don't wear jeans so can't comment on how pocket carry would work with them.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Same here. I like pocket carry. It is easy to just put my gun(in holster) in my pocket. No opening pants, adjusting the holster, etc. I practice drawing enough so that I am reasonably confident about my draw. And, I can carry in any kind of pants or shorts, including dockers, cargo and dress pants. I don't wear jeans so can't comment on how pocket carry would work with them.

Ron

I have pocket carried for over 10 years and really like it. I carry a S&W 642 in a pocket holster in dress clothes, and a Ket-Tec 380 in a pocket holster in jeans and smaller pockets. The holster makes a world of differance in the safety and breaking the outline of the gun. Plus it keeps the butt turned up where it is always where it needs to be. Only draw back is you get so used to carring it, you sometimes forget you have it with you.

I have quoted this before, but it is one of the best lines I have heard. Our TBI instructor said durning class....

"I don't care if you have a 1,500.00 HK setting home on your dresser. If you do not find something you are comfortable carring EVERYDAY everywhere, you are fooling yourself and wasting my time taking this class......"
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links