Had this situation.

This is a discussion on Had this situation. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Fragman Just made me wonder. Never had someone round to cut off my power before!! But, first,why did the second guy not: ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Had this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragman View Post

Just made me wonder. Never had someone round to cut off my power before!! But, first,why did the second guy not:

a) Ring the bell/Knock the door
    b) Notice that the house had lights on.
    c) Try to go through a gate without identifying himself, AFTER DARK, IN TEXAS!

It can make for a tricky situation. No-one was hurt, no-one saw a gun, but still, what if he HAD opened the gate?? The advantage I had was that after calling out, I had moved to the side onto the deck, so he dodn't know where I was, but he had to come through the gate, so I would have probably had time to 'classify' the threat, but still, makes you think.....
    What happens if he seen your gun and he is legally carrying? Crazy.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'm only guessing but...

Having been an field tech, I can imagine this guy didn't want to deal with a possible "whiner", maybe wanted to get home?

Still bad form and very dangerous!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Good way to get shot! I would contact the power company and ask what their normal procedure is because this doesn't sound like it. Sneaking around people's houses in the dark is risky business.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Manan View Post
    The 2nd guy,did he have a uniform on or did he show I.D.? I think I'd still call the power company and just ask the service dept. if this kind of thing is within their regular SOP.
    Well more of a shirt than a uniform. I didn't look out the front this time, so didn't see a truck. Didn't ask for ID. Shoulda I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I'm only guessing but...

Having been an field tech, I can imagine this guy didn't want to deal with a possible "whiner", maybe wanted to get home?

Still bad form and very dangerous!
    Yeah, but this guy was there to turn the power ON!! He's the 'good guy'

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    What happens if he seen your gun and he is legally carrying? Crazy.

If he was legit, he would have not proceeded if he saw a gun. He would have gotten assistance from the sheriff's department I imagine. It's pretty homeowner friendly in texas, and after dark, the laws are REALLY in favor of the homeowner.

If not legit, well, after dark in Texas means he's getting zapped. Especially with the initial failure to identify.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    The first guy really took a chance and not cutting you off and trusting you to pay, what if you hadn't? He either marked it as cut off or the fact that he didn't just didn't get posted in time.
    Yes, he was a true good guy. I guess it wasn't his first rodeo. He did say that they would probably send him out again tomorrow if I couldn't sort it out and he would have no choice but to cut off then.

Very good point about the second guy. He may have been round to reconnect and wondered why it was on already. That's backed up by the fact that he wanted to look at the meter.

That said, it's not a great idea to look around someone's property after dark. Woulda been better waiting until daylight. Of course, they were trying to give good service I guess in getting it hooked up right away.

Still, an interesting situation I thought.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links