Good Day Hunting

Good Day Hunting

This is a discussion on Good Day Hunting within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know this is the CCW part of the forum. I thought it belongs here, But if im wrong...sorry mods... My father, brother and myself ...

Good Day Hunting

I know this is the CCW part of the forum. I thought it belongs here, But if im wrong...sorry mods...

My father, brother and myself spent a good portion of sunday out small game hunting. Mainly rabbit hunting. We didn't see a whole lot. I shot at one but missed.

Halfway thru my Dad wanted to take a break for 5 minutes. So we walked to the road where the truck was. We both unloaded our shotguns. (don't know laws. better safe than sorry) We started the usual hunting talk. About 10 minutes into.. a truck drives by slower than the rest. The kind of people that trigger something inside your gut that tells you to be careful.

My Dad asked me if I was "packin" because he has read about people being "jacked" of their guns while their unloaded out hunting/target shooting on public property. I said "why wouldn't I be"

I think he is slowly coming around to the idea of CC. Better not push.
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Distinguished Member
    Given the opportunity, most people can see the light, some just won't open their eyes.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWolf View Post
    . . . . We both unloaded our shotguns. (don't know laws. better safe than sorry).
    Your experience turned out okay, although it is a bit of a wakeup call.

I would just recommend that you take the opportunity to learn the applicable game and firearms laws before venturing out again.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

what with being back im glad i have my ccx im too used to keeping my rifle "red" when in a vehicle. only problem im still waiting on my newyork ccw
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

It's starting to be an absolutely must do anymore. Some good eating with rabbits.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

IIRC I read an article last spring about a couple guys who were jacked for their guns after leaving a range. Keeping one concealed, locked and loaded, sounds like a better and better idea all the time.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

That is brazen......even if 'they' get the drop on you. Jacking someone of thier guns just off the range? Even sit'n by your truck discussing rabbit shooting skills, weather or not loaded, is a pretty risky move.

I'm never not carrying after a range day....worse yet I'm "dialed in" with my sidearm......but I've been guilty of unloading upon reaching my truck after hunting, Although for the last 15 or so years I have had a sidearm locked away in my truck.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I always carry when I'm hunting. You never know what kind of dangerous wildlife to expect on the hunt, or in this case what other people you might expect.

When at the range, I always keep a CCW ready to go. Anyone remember the movie "Silverado", where the character played by Scott Glenn is jumped after emptying his revolvers practicing?
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Glad all turned out well. It used to be one could go to the country and get away from crime. Now no place is exempt.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Links