Was I out of line?

Was I out of line?

This is a discussion on Was I out of line? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, this happened about a month ago and has been bugging me. I went to the dreaded Walmart. I was in the sporting goods area ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Was I out of line?

Ok, this happened about a month ago and has been bugging me. I went to the dreaded Walmart. I was in the sporting goods area when I noticed a guy with a pistol on his side, he had a beard, looked to be mid-50's or so, and had on a browning hat. The pistol was in an iwb leather holster, looked to be a custom job. The guy had a t-shirt and an untucked button down flannel shirt on. The guy's flannel shirt had hung up on his gun and the end of the magazine was showing. I saw this and pondered what to do. I decided to walk past the guy, and while passing him, I mumbled "Your carry is showing". I kept walking. The guy immediately said "Excuse me?" I repeated "Your piece is showing" and I looked at his side. The guy gave me the look of death, like I had just hit on his wife or something. He immediately fixed his shirt, then said to me "Why are you looking at it?, You should learn to mind your own damn business". I said "Your welcome", then simply turned and walked away. The entire encounter lasted maybe 15 seconds and I have never seen the guy again. his reaction towards me has been bugging me ever since. Was I wrong to mention something to him? I thought about what my options in the situation were. 1- Simply ignore the situation. 2-Notify the store manager. 3- Dial 911. 4- Politely and discretely mention to the guy his carry gun was showing. All but one of these options may have resulted in someone else panicking when they see his gun resulting in potentially a bad situation. Maybe the guy was an undercover cop, but a really bad one if his pistol is showing. Maybe he was a bg planning on robbing the place. Maybe he was simply a ccw holder accidently showing his gun. Prior to telling him he was showing, I though about these options. I decided if he was a ccw, he may appreciate me letting him know he was showing. If he was a bg, then quietly mentioning he was showing may result in him simply walking away. If he was a undercover or plainclothes cop, then again, maybe he would appreciate me letting him know he was showing.

My question to you all, If you were me in this situation, what would you have done? If you were they guy showing, would you want someone to tell you, your pistol was showing?

Jay,

I am not familiar with NC laws, so I don't know if OC is legal.
    Assuming for the moment that it is not, I would probably have
    done the same thing as you.

JMO.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Administrator
    You did fine, I wouldnt lose sleep over it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

You did the right thing. I would have done the same.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Sounds like you encountered the 1% that would be offended. Personally, I would have been appreciative!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

i would have done the same and would want the same done to me

M2
    Same here, don't sweat it. Just because he was an idiot doesn't mean you were...

Cheers! M2

VIP Member
    Other than failing to kick him between the legs, you done good.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

You did fine. The guy was probably embarrassed and got defensive. He may have jumped to the conclusion that you were an anti or some such. Either way his reaction was ridiculous.

Though when he asked "why are you looking at it?" I would have probably responded (good humored of course) "its a nice gun or <insert specific model here> and I just thought I'd let you know you were showing". If he got more angry I would have left. Who knows, maybe you could strike up a conversation with him?

But like I said..he was probably just embarrassed and got defensive.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I too think you did the right thing...sounds like he had some chip on his shoulder...or paranoid...

Rick

NDS
    Your behavior was proper, polite, and helpful.

He acted the fool; his response should have been, "Thanks!"

Sounds like this guy was a Richard Cranium.

Satch
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." Robert E. Lee

I would also have done the same thing. That guy should be thankful.

Thanks all for your responses. Looking back I would have done exactly the same thing and want someone to let me know if I am showing. It's been bugging me, but I haven't been losing sleep over this or anything, just curious as to what others felt.

I would appreciate the same courtesy as well. Embarrassing? Maybe, but it would make me feel that someone was looking out for me. That's rare these days.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links