Another encounter with HPD.

This is a discussion on Another encounter with HPD. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know this story has been told and told again before. You know, the whole "my first encounter with a police officer while carrying" but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another encounter with HPD.

I know this story has been told and told again before. You know, the whole "my first encounter with a police officer while carrying" but I think my story may seem just a tad different.

As some of you may know, I am limo driver. I just finished a great run with a great tip on one of our nicest vehicles, 2007 Ford Expedition Limo. After every run, you have to gas up before dropping off the vehicle at the warehouse. Well, there is stop sign right before the designated gas station. I didn't do a "complete" stop (I know, I know, I should know better). Right when I cross the intersection, the back of my hair jumped up and I just knew something was about to happen. Sure enough, I saw the infamous lights of the Houston Police Dep. cruisers. I didn't even give them a chance to catch up, I just immediately pulled over, turn on the hazards, turn on the dome light, and shut off my engine. There was two cops, one on each side of the vehicle. The primary officer asked for ID and insurance. I gave him my ID and CHL, didn't even give me a chance to get the insurance when asked "Do you have a firearm?" I said, "yes sir". He asked "Yes??" I said, "yes sir, I do". Then he says, "ok, don't touch it, don't do anything with it". Inside of my head, I am laughing, thinking, "why would I want to do such a stupid thing?" Now I know, it is for the officer's safety, but still. He asked again for the insurance, I then say, "well, as I was trying to tell you. I don't know where the owner of the vehicle keeps the insurance, oh wait! there it is" (it was buried above the visor). He goes to his vehicle, the partner follows. A couple minutes pass. The partner returns, "Mr Gomez (yes, I am hispanic), when was the last time you had a ticket". I say "well, that is a good question, I don't remember". He says "have you ever taken defensive driving?" Me: "nope, never have". The officer "well, just take the course to keep the ticket off the record and slow down Mr Gomez".

The End....

I refueled, cleaned the limo, and that was that. So, was this a different than usual story?
    Last edited by skippythenurse; November 13th, 2007 at 03:14 AM. Reason: grammer

Nope. Not really.

I would say the majority of interactions CCW holders have turn out pretty good to some degree or other. Just like most interactions with police officers any law abiding citizen has.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Administrator
    I'd say that you handled yourself really well.
    Question though...shouldn't you be skippythelimodriver?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I'd say that you handled yourself really well.
    Question though...shouldn't you be skippythelimodriver?
    LOL. Good idea.

Long story short, I am nursing student, worked at an ER as a tech for 5 years. Quit because of schedule conflict, became driver because of flexible boss and schedule.

I find it ironic that after you ID yourself as a "good guy"--the PO tells you not to touch your firearm...because if you were a BG hellbent on destruction, you would follow the officer's instructions....oh yeah, and carry legally.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Sounds about right. Take the class to save on your insurance rates.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by skippythenurse View Post
    I know this story has been told

The End....

I refueled, cleaned the limo, and that was that. So, was this a different than usual story?
    I don't think it's an unusual story. I'm very careful to obey all traffic laws these days but in the past I was given breaks by police officers on several occasions. Maybe I've been lucky but I've just never had a negative experience with law enforcement officers.

Skippythelimodrivingnursingstudent? That may just get a little out of hand. Sounds like you did great though, and I sometimes wonder whether it's the CCW, or the fact that the majority of holders are respectful, and go out of their way to make it obvious they are trying to ensure the safety of the LE and themselves which makes a difference during a stop.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I find it ironic that after you ID yourself as a "good guy"--the PO tells you not to touch your firearm...because if you were a BG hellbent on destruction, you would follow the officer's instructions....oh yeah, and carry legally.
    That thought went through my mind.

On another note: "skippythelimodrivernursingstudent" does have a nice ring to it, don't you think?

Had a similar situation the other day. Pulled over by North Las Vegas PD, showed my Firefighter ID card and I was cut loose. No ticket.

See, the whole time I was thinking "I hope he gives me a warning", but NOOO....I had to get a ticket. Oh well, not going to sweat too much about it. What was funny to me, while there circling that intersection ticketing people for that stop sign, there was a loiterer at the gas station annoying people, two people ran the red light at the next intersection, and there was a drunk passing through in his Mercedes.

Quote Originally Posted by skippythenurse View Post
    See, the whole time I was thinking "I hope he gives me a warning", but NOOO....I had to get a ticket. Oh well, not going to sweat too much about it. What was funny to me, while there circling that intersection ticketing people for that stop sign, there was a loiterer at the gas station annoying people, two people ran the red light at the next intersection, and there was a drunk passing through in his Mercedes.
    The only time I got pulled over was for riding too close to the white line. Sometimes life is odd that way.
    Eat a moose... 50,000 wolves can't be wrong.

Just another fun day in the life of a CCW holder. I think that you handeld the situation very well. Hey it happens.

So when does the defensive driving class start?
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

IMO, it all boils down to the respect thing. Ultimatly, LE realizes that people do make mistakes and it is their job to make sure that we are reminded. Great job in the way you handled it.
    Life is too short, stop to smell the roses and don't let anyone take it away from you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links