Rule of CCW - Have gun!

This is a discussion on Rule of CCW - Have gun! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was reading the thread about unwritten rules of CCW, and JD's comment about being sure to have your gun, "I forgot my gun at ...

Thread: Rule of CCW - Have gun!

Rule of CCW - Have gun!

I was reading the thread about unwritten rules of CCW, and JD's comment about being sure to have your gun, "I forgot my gun at home..." made me chuckle some.

One of my sons is a security guard, and the company office is my city, not his. He has a half hour drive to get to it, and my home is fairly close to his work. Twice now, he's had to make a quick stop at my place to borrow a gun, because he's found that his holster is empty!

His duty belt (which he did remember to wear) has the magazines for his gun, and luckily for him, one of my pistols is exactly like his. So it saves his bacon to stop and get mine.

In his defense, I have to say that he leaves his house at 4:30 a.m., and at that time of the morning I'd be a little foggy-headed too.
    "None who have always been free can understand
    the terrible fascinating power of the hope of freedom
    to those who are not free."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Happens, I went on a out of town hunting trip
    and left my gun in town.

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I went to the range to shoot my Walther P99 and Glock 30 and forgot my mag pouch with the loaded Glock magazines and forgot the 9 mm ammo. I end up with 11 loaded Walther magazines and no extra boxes of ammo and 1 Glock magazine with 2 boxes of .45.

The Walther is primary so it wasn't a waste.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

How do you forget your gun? Sorry, but I don't know what else to say.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Consider yourself lucky he didn't have to use his gun on the job because when the "victem" sued him you'd get sucked into it because you loaned him the gun. Well, at least that's the way it works out here in the PRC.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post

It happens. I dont dress for work at home anymore, and my duty gun typically doesnt leave the holster. Also, my belt is kept in a large duffel, uniforms stay at work. Once in awhile I'll clean or shoot it at home, and there might have been a time that it didnt find its way back into the holster before I got to work.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    well my situation may be different than most but 50% of my time is spent where I cannot carry. I have to take a bus to get where I am going, so I leave my gun at home half of the time and the other half its with me. Sometimes I forget that I am not going in a "gun free zone" and rush out the door without my gun.

It doesn't happen very often but it happens.

Happens from time to time.

Once, I left my pistol in my car thinking that the place of business I was heading into was a "gun-free zone". After realizing that it wasn't and it was legal for me to carry, I got out of the line and headed back to car to get it! Felt naked without it.

Something you dont want to forget

I made a trip to the range last year, range bag, guns and lots of ammo...

What I did forget was my muffs, I was the only one at the range, and a quick search of the club house turned up only an empty box of ear plugs... I didnt shoot that day

Ive used clean cigarette fliters before after reading an article where soliders toting m60s found themsleves without any hearing protection. It works pretty good but not to a level im comfortable with, plus its a bit uncomfortable!!

maybe for 1 or 2 shots not several boxes!!
    "What if? If not, who needs seatbelts, life rafts, and fire extingishers. Sure theres other ways, if thats what you want... I know ill be alive, dry, and not on fire!"

G17, G19, G36, PPK/S
    Support the right - www.vcdl.org

I really have to focus on the days I can/cannot carry. Not to whine...but I unfortunatley work for a corporation that does not allow weapons on the job or on the even in the parking lot; I must walk through a gate which reads my badge (and who knows what else it checks?). I am retired military so I also go the Army base, right across the street, and again, they do not allow weapons going through the gates. So here I am, after work, going about errands and places where I would normally carry...but I'm not. I really am looking forward to a final retirement where I have a bit more control of my life.

I could see this happening. I almost forgot my bow one morning on my way to the mountain for Archery season. Early morning sometimers.
    Life is too short, stop to smell the roses and don't let anyone take it away from you!

Quote Originally Posted by Pitmaster View Post
    I went to the range to shoot my Walther P99 and Glock 30 and forgot my mag pouch with the loaded Glock magazines and forgot the 9 mm ammo. I end up with 11 loaded Walther magazines and no extra boxes of ammo and 1 Glock magazine with 2 boxes of .45.

The Walther is primary so it wasn't a waste.
    I have a similar story from last week. Went to the range without my 1911 because I thought I was low on .45. I took my XD 9 thinking I had plenty of 9 mm. Turned out just the opposite. Plenty of .45, very little 9 mm. Borrowed some 9 from a buddy.

I went to the range twice last week.

First time I was just going to shoot 22's, a 10/22 rifle and a 22/45 pistol. I had all my magazines loaded up, 10 30-rd for the 10/22 and 2 10-rd for the 22/45, and I an extra box of ammo, since I planned on shooting the pistol more than the rifle. Turns out, I forgot to bring the box of ammo, so I end up taking rounds out of the rifle mags to put in the pistol mags.

The other time, I was going to sight-in a Marlin 336 and a pistol with an adjustable rear sight. The front sight on the 336 was way off, and would require a mallet to drift it over, and I would need a small flathead screwdriver for the pistol sight. When I got to the range, I realized I'd forgotten to bring any tools. I didn't do much shooting that day.

I've never forgotten guns though. I suppose that's coming soon though...

Links