Some of my more anti-friends are becoming more "accepting"

This is a discussion on Some of my more anti-friends are becoming more "accepting" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Janq ! That was my very first thought. Tell them you sold all your guns and the evil bullets and went to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some of my more anti-friends are becoming more "accepting"

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    !

That was my very first thought.
    Tell them you sold all your guns and the evil bullets and went to a Brady seminar, drank their free bottled vitamin water, and are now a vegetarian pacifist and are a believer that bad things really as per Brady stats only happen to bad people and gun owners.

I'd pay money to see video of their reaction to that.

- Janq
    Don't knock vegans or vegi eaters.

I have an Indian place and an organic place 20 miles from me and sometimes I'll drive way the hell out of my way and risk the neighborhood (which is a 4 extra mag area at MINIMUM) for the grilled tofu skewers or the cake.

Do not get between me and my fair trade, organic, vegan Lithuanian coffee cake with the extra large scoop of butter-cream frosting unless you want a sample of the cholesterol free 9mm bon-bons.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Sounds to me as if you are the most level headed and logical thinking of the group of people you hang with.

That is not always a good thing. But if they are starting to come around to the proper way of thinking, then you are doing good work and setting a good example.
    So far so good. There was only one "incident" that has happened involving my friends and my CHP. Me and a friend of mine were going to go to the range. Well I just sold my car so he was gonna drive. His roomate heard of our plans and wanted to go to. So I said come on. Well, he didn't know that I had a CHP and on the way to walmart to get ammo he found out because he asked "what guns are in the bag?" so I told him. My other friend, not really thinking, asked "oh wheres your snubby?"

So I told him. The other friend got really excited and started getting stupid about it. "Where are you carrying it? Can I touch it? How big is it? Have you shot anyone with it? ect" just acting like an overall moron. Red flag.

When we go in he keeps talking about it and I turn around stop him and look him in the eye and say "we aren't talking about this anymore--not in public. I don't need everyone and their mother to know". He stops but hes still being really dumb, asking immature questions, ect. Well as we reach the sporting goods section i feel someone touch the butt of my gun. I turn around, grab the wrist and nearly break it. It was him...being "funny". He got the message. It wasn't a toy and next time I won't not break his wrist.

We bought ammo and left. It was getting late and the range is out doors. I nod to my other friend and tell him that its too late to shoot today, we will have to rain check it till another time. When we drop the other friend off my friend looks over and says "sorry I didn't mean to 'out' you like that." I said no problem it just slipped and that it let me realize he (the other friend) wasn't someone I wanted to be handling guns around me. My friend said "Yea, I figured thats why you called off the range trip--we still had plenty of daylight."
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; November 14th, 2007 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Edited Language Workaround

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    Of all my friends, only two know I carry (they carry as well)..I really don't know if any of my other friends are anti or not..as for them knowing that I carry, thats a #51!!
    I can understand that mindset and I don't go shouting from the rooftops that I carry a gun, but I am relatively open about it to close friends and family. Just who I am.

Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    A couple actually said "I hope you are carrying" CHP/gun.
    funny how the anti-gun person is relieved to find out someone else is carrying.
    David
    from LA

I have 5 guns.

I had a few friends who razzed on me too, but they don't even know I carry (as I don't advertized it) and I suppose they still won't (unless they come in for a big hug or I have to draw down on somebody)

I have rarely talked about concealed carry and or firearms in general with people I see daily. But recently in conversation, a long-time colleague of mine asked about my weekend. I said: "actually, I participated in a shooting competition". "With FIREARMS?" she asked. After I told her a little about the IDPA event, she said "do you OWN a gun?" I refrained from describing the contents of my safe, or my IWB holster, and just replied "um, yes".

This person, like most people I routinely interact with, is a huge liberal. Last year, she was assaulted, bound and gagged. The criminals were later caught and are now in prison, but it gave her a different perspective on things. On self-defense at least it seems, 'cause today she wanted to talk about guns. One would have thought, from her tone of voice, that she was trying to score some crack. Anyhow, it looks like we're going to the range this weekend. Miracles do happen!

fortunately where i live the closest we have to anti's are the ppl that insist that children shouldn't be allowed near guns. unfortunatly at work i have a fair share of anti's around. even in my chain of command. its amazing how some people volunteer to defend something while simultaniously hacking away at its foundation.

oh and about letting kids near guns i make sure my neice and nephew are taught how to treat a firearm before i teach them how to use it. the little kids could prolly shoot better than hathcock by now.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    Cliffs:
    --Friends would mess with me about my chp
    --Guy gets stabbed at Taco Bell next to campus
    --Guy gets a gun pointed at him in the student parking lot
    --Guy gets robbed in a parking lot on campus
    --Girl gets assaulted at burger king
    --Guy has been trying to abduct girls on and around campus
    --Friends now "hope" I am carrying and some are now interested in getting a CHP/gun.
    That's about the way of things. Better to ultimately learn to deal with how things are, than remaining in a cloud about how one wishes things to be.

Congratulate your friends for me. They deserve all the encouragement and guidance they can stomach.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I've never really understood CCW holders that hide the fact.
    I think we should let the "liberals" know we are around and we're not crazy guns nuts as portrayed in the media.
    We're your neighbors. We go to church with you. We're in the supermarket.
    We are NOT a threat to you.

See?? No biggie.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

If *this* is a rough area, how 'bout where I live?

Quote Originally Posted by lacrosse50 View Post
    Certainly sounds like a rough area! Nice to see that once folks become aware of their surroundings they start taking a more realistic approach to protecting themselves.
    At least in my circle, Blacksburg has the reputation of being a very safe place, especially in comparison with Roanoke (or LA, where I'm from). Maybe Condition White isn't appropriate... anywhere...

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    I've never really understood CCW holders that hide the fact.
    I think we should let the "liberals" know we are around and we're not crazy guns nuts as portrayed in the media.
    We're your neighbors. We go to church with you. We're in the supermarket.
    We are NOT a threat to you.

See?? No biggie.

AFS
    I feel the same way. My friends and family know how I am, know that I am a responsible, intelligent, rational person and imo that goes a long way to dispel a lot of myths about gun owners and CHP holders.

Even my anti-friends that got a little uneasy when they found out I could have a gun on my person realized that I am a good person and that they can feel safe around me even if I am carrying a dreaded gun. (They don't even know 99% of the time.) They know I am not gonna blow my lid and start shooting things.

I feel like the more of my friends that know I carry, the more people will come to realize that we aren't bad guys, we aren't crazy-bunker-building rednecks (no offense to the crazy bunker building rednecks on these boards ) that fear government spy satellites watching our every move. We are law abiding citizens that live normal, ordinary lives.

Letting people know that you carry makes you an ambassador for the gun carrying community.*

*don't screw it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    At least in my circle, Blacksburg has the reputation of being a very safe place, especially in comparison with Roanoke (or LA, where I'm from). Maybe Condition White isn't appropriate... anywhere...
    I saw those posts too and I *hoped* they were being sarcastic. Blacksburg is one of the safer places in the country I would argue, but stuff like this happens...everywhere (even in "safe" places). I think thats what those people were getting at.

But I did read that instances of violence tend to increase for several years after an incident like April 16th. Maybe we are going to see residual effects of that for a while.

FWIW, I think this stuff happened in previous years. They just haven't been as open about it in the past as they have now. The university and the police took alot of heat for assuming that the shooting at WAJ was an isolated incident and now they are overreacting and cover their own behinds by sending out an email anytime anything remotely sketch happens.

looks ike the victems were around their vehicles for a few of them. and people wonder why i have a rifle and a few full mags in my truck(keeping the mags seperate from the rifle don't wan't any trouble from the police in new york.)
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

"I've never really understood CCW holders that hide the fact."

Good on you for having your opinion. I won't chide you for not sharing mine about concealed carry.

I believe in being good at carrying concealed, and never tell anyone, unless there is a need, or they bring up the fact that they armed, and only then tell them, if I know them very well.

Back in the 80ís I worked for a company that strictly forbid carrying a firearm, yet I carried one every day for over 10 years, yet no employees ever knew.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links