Apparently you actually can talk sense into some people.

This is a discussion on Apparently you actually can talk sense into some people. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wow. What an amazing morning. I won't go into the long and boring details, but I just had one of the most pleasantly surprising conversations ...

Thread: Apparently you actually can talk sense into some people.

Wow. What an amazing morning.

I won't go into the long and boring details, but I just had one of the most pleasantly surprising conversations ever. This isn't a transcript but it went something like this:

"I don't understand why a sane person would want to carry something as dangerous as a gun with them everywhere."

"Well first of all unless it's a piece of junk, guns aren't dangerous. It's people that are dangerous sometimes."

"Well okay but the odds of actually having to fire a gun are really low and nothing's ever going to happen to people like us."

"Granted, but the fact is that being prepared for such an event no matter how unlikely is important to me. I think I have the right to safeguard my life."

"That's the police's job."

"There are 1 of them for every 1800 or so civilians. One person no matter how talented, no matter how brave, no matter how well equipped, can protect 1800 people at once all the time every time. And actually it's not their job. The Supreme Court has said so."

"But that's wrong. They should be required to-"

"Required to do what? Nanny people who won't take a little bit of responsibility for themselves? Do you want a personal police officer assigned to you to monitor everything you do in case you get in a pickle? I sure as heck don't."

"How do you find time to feel competent with that thing?"

"Look I'm my own driver, my own handyman, my own moving company, my own cook, my own computer technician, and my own cleaning service. Being my own bodyguard is just another skill necessary to function in modern society."

"Well I don't want to own a gun or have anything to do with one."

"I never said you have to. Your decision to not arm yourself is equally valid as my decision to do the opposite. I don't agree with it but it's not my choice to make. You shouldn't have to do anything nor should you be restricted should you choose to do differently at some point."

"Wow I never thought of that before. I guess that is something we all have to decide for ourselves."

Every once in a while there's just a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. I think more than anything this individual was surprised by my profession and the fact that I didn't simply grunt "This here's my killin' gun..."

Well handled!

I'm gonna take your comments and put them on a card for when that happens to me next time!

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    EUC...

I love it. Great conversation. I've tried to have a conversation go that way in the past. Unfortunately, usually the people I'm talking to keep coming back to the "they're dangerous, and they scare me..."

-Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

yci
    Nice to see there are still folks out there who can be reasoned with.

Good job.

Nice job Euc. Unfortunately I usually get the ones whose entire argument is based soley in emotion, not logic. But once in awhile, like you said there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

You actually had someone who would listen to your reasoning, thats amazing and you handled that perfectly. I have found that most anti gun people are unreasonable and will not listen to reason.

Amazingly some people make decisions based on emotion and not on facts and logic. Good job.
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

Assistant Administrator
    Indeed Euc - finding someone who will actually listen is a major hurdle - often the real challenge is cutting thru the emotion-driven crap so many cling to.

Good job - oh ye of the silken tongue!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I think having to deal with school kids has given you conversational skills far, far above that of us mere mortals. Not to mention the patience of Jobe.

(Probably the reason why I didn't go into teaching when I retired from the service; I could just see me ending my career on day 2 or 3 by cleaning the blackboard with some mouthy little jerk's face.)

Good job!
    If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes.

Did you invite them to the range?
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

You'd be surprised at the number of people who'll listen to you if you don't push an agenda and talk instead of argue. Problem usually is I have my opinion, you have yours and we both probably feel (no, make that KNOW) we're right while the other guy is wrong. I begin to push my side, you begin to defend yours and after that it will go down hill fast.

Arguments are just another version of leading a horse to water. You can talk until your teeth hurt but you can't force the other guy to listen if he doesn't want to. I've discovered if you state your point, listen to the reply, offer a rebuttal then finish with something like "we're all entitled to an opinion and on some things we all have to agree to disagree", the other side becomes much more open to your side of the discussion. Maybe it's because they feel your aren't a threat, as it were, to them. Nobody wants to admit they may be wrong, especially on something they feel is important and a core belief. For me, I've found that offering to listen without judging can be very difficult at times, but you'd be surprised at how often I can effect a change in opinion by letting the other person have his say without becoming defensive. By stating my side of the discussion, listening to the other and simply saying think about what I've said and decide for yourself, many if not most people will at least consider what you have to say. The WORST thing you can do is tell me I'm wrong, you're right and I'm either stupid, blind or a fool if I disagree with you. Even if I were willing to consider your opinion before, you've now pissed me off and I won't listen just because.

Sponsored Links