Disarmed in my backyard.....

This is a discussion on Disarmed in my backyard..... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i would say you did the right thing. im surprised the guy putting up your fence didnt freak out. no you didnt HAVE to disarm, ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Disarmed in my backyard.....

i would say you did the right thing.
    im surprised the guy putting up your fence didnt freak out.
    no you didnt HAVE to disarm, but you were being nice to a nice LEO doing his job.
    no harm done. all you did was make youself look like a good citizen.

2. Remove Ads

I would not disarm under those circumstances. You are at home and legally armed. Just because an officer(s) walks through your backyard doesn't mean there won't be an armed felon bustin' in your front door two minutes later. The officer is talking to kids 2 doors away and the felon has just entered through your front door, you and the fence guy are again in the back yard after having put your weapon inside the house. This scenario can be as ugly as you want it to be. Maybe your kids are upstairs. You might say what are the chances of this happening. I agree. However, I don't ever want to be unarmed when I could have protected myself and my family.

There are nice ways to say no when you're in you own back yard. How bout', "I'm sorry officer but I can assure you are 100% safe around me."

You did the right thing. If you refused, even though it was legal, that officer would remember you, and not in a good way. I think I would rather be in the good graces of the local PD. It makes the CCW's look good, and we need all the friends and support we can get. Good Job.

yeah I'm thinking that was the right thing to do. True you had a legal right not to, but really what's gonna happen with two officers two doors down? The other posters are quite correct in surmising that officers remember friendly citizens. I've encountered a few during regular patrol and I would go out of my way to check on their houses, businesses at night, etc. Amazing what a little civility does...
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

I 100% agree with the posters here.....you did the right thing. You wern't disarmed, you made a choice to not carry at the request of an officer working a call. You never NOT had access to your sidearm and as stated earlier, the officer(s) will remember you in a good light.

JD, looks like Lima got your good side while doing your chores :)
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Not knocking you, knocking the one's who flamed you,

...I carry to take out the trash in my apartment complex.

Heck, I've carried while cooking!
    JD I hope it didn't come across that I was upset by your post, because I wasn't. I can see by reading, my reply to your post I was a little blunt, sorry bout that. BTW I feel a well aged .45 goes well with my steak.
    If you want a battle of the wit's, please come armed.

Ron Paul Revolution 2008!!!

NRA Member

I think you acted reasonably, which is exactly what we're all supposed to do. If you had made a big deal out of this issue, it may have gotten to be a huge hassle. Now you have the respect of that particular officer AND he and his partner know 'the guy who lives there is OK'.

Good job.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

I agree you did the "best" thing.
    +1 with all the positive posts.

And this is a very good group of people and flaming is not common at all on this forum...thats probably why I like this one sooo much. Other forums SOMETIMES are full of
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Ensane,

I guess we could all make an argument for YOUR/OUR rights, no matter what.

On the other hand, I happen to believe that a little civility and kindness goes a long way toward accomplishing what we usually want to accomplish (unless the goal is to be a total butt).

In my book, you did fine. You left your ego and your attitude in your shirt pocket when you took it off.
    +++++++++
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

In my own yard? You did okay though. Just a tough question.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I would have done the same thing you did. You should be commended for your actions.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

AMH
    I have never been in that situation before, but it sounds like you did okay.

One time, about a year ago, my wife and I heard strange noises and thought someone was breaking in. We called the police, explained our concerns, and notified them that we were armed. The call taker asked me to put away my weapon while I wait for the police to arrive. When I refused she hung up and had the County Sheriff call me back and desperately try to get me to disarm. I still refused. I can understand the desire for me to disarm when the police get on scene, but to disarm when the police aren’t even there yet seemed like a bad idea.

When the police did arrive I answered the door while armed, until I was sure it was really the police at the door. The local police never batted an eye. They look at the weapon in my hand and didnt say a word about it. They where polite and searched the entire area. They never found anything, and it all turn out well in the end.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

If you think about it... you had two more like minded guys near by to assist you if you needed it. On the other hand...Take it from the cop's point of view. They are going to visit YOUR neighbor to whom you may be sympathetic. I'm sure the cops didn't want a potential gun on the bad guys side.

What you did will indeed be remembered as a friendly guesture and you may now be on that cops "Good Guy" list.

You did exactly as I would have done. It has paid big dividends as they now know you are one of the good guys.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Police are constantly inserting themselve in situations they don't fully understand. He had no idea what role were playing, or might eventually play, in the situation he was responding to. He had no idea of whether you were simply an armed law abiding citizen or a drunken madman. You gave him a little piece of mind while he was dealing with another problem. If you didn't want to disarm yourself, you have also offered to tend to your business inside your house.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links