Disarmed in my backyard.....

This is a discussion on Disarmed in my backyard..... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This happened quite some time ago, I posted it on another website, before I knew about this community, and got flamed royally. Maybe I should've ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Disarmed in my backyard.....

Disarmed in my backyard.....

This happened quite some time ago, I posted it on another website, before I knew about this community, and got flamed royally. Maybe I should've been I don't know.

Anyway this is what happened, I had just gotten home from work, I was carrying a 9mm in a shoulder rig, with a cover shirt over it, when I got in the house I took the shirt off, because it was getting hot. About 10 minutes later the doorbell rang, it was a guy coming to give an estimate on putting a fence up, so I walked out back with him, I didn't put the cover shirt back on, because in SC it's legal to OC if you're on your own property.

So we're out there talking I hear someone cutting through the trees behind me I turn around it's two local police officers, they asked if it would be okay to cut through my lawn, apparently they needed to talk to one of the kids playing next house down, I said sure no problem. The officer then asked if I would mind disarming, until they were done handling the call, I did mind, but told him if it makes you feel better.

After they handled the call the officer came back over to me and thanked me for being understanding and apologized, for any inconvenience. I told him it took me by surprise, he had me disarm, due to the fact I was completly legal, but his job was hard enough and I wasn't going to make a federal case out of it. This guy was obviously young and probably a rookie, he wasn't a jerk in any way shape or form, very professional and had no attitude at all.

Where I live isn't a very big town, and since this incident, I've talked to a few of the local officers, who agreed I didn't have to disarm, but said that officer knows I'm one of the "good-guys" now. So I don't think my choice to comply, with his request to disarm, was a bad one, it all turned out good in the end. What do you all think, should I have handled this situation differently, I will sit back now and prepare for the flaming.
    Last edited by P95Carry; November 14th, 2007 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Split into para's to aid readability
    If you want a battle of the wit's, please come armed.

Ron Paul Revolution 2008!!!

NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

It sounds like it all worked out OK. I never been in that situation, so I won't comment.

Brian

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I see no reason to flame. You had a choice and chose to comply with the officer.

Ensane,

I guess we could all make an argument for YOUR/OUR rights, no matter what.

On the other hand, I happen to believe that a little civility and kindness goes a long way toward accomplishing what we usually want to accomplish (unless the goal is to be a total butt).

In my book, you did fine. You left your ego and your attitude in your shirt pocket when you took it off.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    You were disarmed but not quite: you still had access to the weapon, just not on you, right?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I see no problem with what you did...some have the perception it is us against them...I personally don't feel that way. Work with, not against.

Rick

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    You did the right thing. I make a habbit of being curtious, respectful, and compliant with LEO and they HAVE remembered it, and I promise when those LEO's drive past your house they will remeber that, its just like when I was a pizza guy when i drove past houses that tipped well i remebered them. I still remember some of thier adresses by heart. Adding to what Colt45 said, "when the gun gets strapped on the ego gets left behind"<-- a pretty safe rule to live by when carrying.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

I would have done the same thing. I have few issues with disarming when police are nearby. I carry a weapon because I can't carry a police officer in my pocket, but if one's nearby... That's almost just as good
    Eat a moose... 50,000 wolves can't be wrong.

JD
    Administrator
    I think you did the right thing, the officer might have been worried that the kid they were going to have a talking to might run on them and didn't want him to accidentally get shot if he ran through your yard.

You were out of your house for how long without it and people flamed you? I'm curious as to which site this was...

I'm sorry but if you honestly feel that you can't go out in your own yard for 30 minutes without HAVING TO BE ARMED, you need help. Don't get me wrong I'm all for carrying every minute you can, but every now and then it's OK to step out in your backyard without a gun.

Or was it the fact that you agreed to be disarmed (and by this I mean asked politely to disarm) by such fascist crazies that would dare to even ask!

Police officers have enough on their mind. If you told the officer no I won't disarm, well thats one more thing in the back of his mind to distract him while he is handling the initial call/complaint. I am a corrections officer. When i transport inmates to medical facilities, I kindly ask the armed guards at the hospital to leave the area my partner and I are holding the inmate. The guard has every right to be there, in fact, the facility PAYS him to be there, yet we still ask him to leave. This allows us to concentrate on the inmate, and not on the gun that guard is now bringing into the vicinity of the inmate. The fewer things on your mind the better when handling certain situations. I had officers ask me to go inside my home once. I had every right to sit outside and watch what was going on, but then they would have me to worry about.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    OC tho in many cases legal is seldom a mature choice imho
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    You voluntarily disarmed as a courtesy to the officer....... you helped put him at ease. I don't have any problem with that.

I've had leo's stop me for some traffic violation, and it was certainly their "right" to give me a ticket, but they chose to cut me some slack. In your case the situation is sort of reversed, it was your right to OC, but you gave the officer some slack.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaystekan View Post
    Police officers have enough on their mind. If you told the officer no I won't disarm, well thats one more thing in the back of his mind to distract him while he is handling the initial call/complaint. I am a corrections officer. When i transport inmates to medical facilities, I kindly ask the armed guards at the hospital to leave the area my partner and I are holding the inmate. The guard has every right to be there, in fact, the facility PAYS him to be there, yet we still ask him to leave. This allows us to concentrate on the inmate, and not on the gun that guard is now bringing into the vicinity of the inmate. The fewer things on your mind the better when handling certain situations. I had officers ask me to go inside my home once. I had every right to sit outside and watch what was going on, but then they would have me to worry about.
    You bring up a very good point. I think most people will tend to get a little upset if an LEO asks them to stay inside or leave the area. They seem to forget the more people there are around any kind of incident the more people the LEOs have to worry about. It is the same people who will insist they have a right to be there who will be the first ones to sue if they get injured.

I see no real problem here. Given that it was a request and not a demand, that is even more of a reason to be...well, reasonable. Now, if he had demanded you disarm or demanded you turn over your weapon, that might be a tad bit different. There was a third option, I believe. You could have just returned inside until the LEO was done.

HKR
    You were not disarmed, you chose to disarm. There's nothing wrong with how you handled the situation and while I'm sure that none of us like the thought of disarming for any reason, I see nothing to flame or second guess. You knew your rights and chose to comply, allowing the officers to go about their business. I would love to hear of more non-incidents handled this way. Bravo.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links