Why disarm at home? - Page 2

Why disarm at home?

This is a discussion on Why disarm at home? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If my pants are on, my gun is on me. If I'm in the shower a gun is in the bathroom with me. I may ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    If my pants are on, my gun is on me. If I'm in the shower a gun is in the bathroom with me.

I may or may not have a beer after work with my pants on. I do not get drunk and my self imposed limit of alcohol ingestion is two. If I am out in public I do not drink alcoholic beverages.

Biker

I've carried at home since I started carrying 2 yrs ago. Originally, just to get used to wearing the gun and to get family used to seeing me with it. But also to prevent me from making a quick trip to the store without feeling the "need" to carry. If it's in the safe and I have to go somewhere, it forces me to decide if I really "need" it or not. Of course, that's impossible to determine. So I carry 16/7 all places legal.

At night a gun is within arms reach by the bed. When I get up to shower, I put the gun away unless my wife is still in bed in which case I leave it out. My thinking is if I'm alone in the house the BG could find it while I'm in the shower and it would be the beginning (and possible premature end) of a very bad day.

In my state (CO) BAC is never mentioned. CRS just states that you can not carry in public while under the influence. The law intentionally leaves the BAC vague. It is a total judgment call. I seriously doubt I will ever be in trouble in my own home due to firearms and BAC. I just won't leave if I am over the DUI amount (.07).

Hmm so my choice is don't carry if I have been drinking and get killed if I have a BG break in. Or carry, defend myself, and then defend my self a second time in court (using a lawyer). If I'm dead then I have to explain to God why I wasn't carrying after he gave me the the right to carry. Or I just never drink any adult beverages.

Nope, don't carry at home. Got my own reasons, don't plan to debate the issue, so enough said about it here. However, there's a weapon usually less than three steps away (one is within arm's reach as I type this), so I don't feel unarmed and/or defenseless.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

I live a home that was owned by my father that is rather large and sits on 25 acres of raw land from all sides. My drive is rather long and there is no other exit way for any vehicles. However, there are roads that run parallel to the property lines in all directions. I've often thought of would be bad guy's humping through the rough terrain during the night to reach the house. I have an old barn and a new barn for storing tractors and quad runners and snow mobiles. I imagine one night I'm going to awake to the sound of one or all my machinery being hauled off. How does this relate to the thread ?

I spend an awful lot of my time in the den which my personal sanctuary and computer room, where I'm sitting right now. What is attached to my waiste ?? Yes, a Night Hawk Custom .45 ACP 1911 with an extra mag in a Milt Sparks OWB holster. Sitting in the corner next to me and the desk is an Les Baer Thunder Ranch AR15 with a 30 round mag loaded and one in the chamber with safety on.

When I retire tonight to the upstairs bedroom, the alarm system is set and my Les Baer and 1911 take a walk with me up to the bedroom where they will rest on the night and lean against the dresser. I also have outside flood lights that are so bright it's actually hard to approach the house without holding your hands over your forehead. It's not likely that anyone can initiate a fire fight from the front of the house, or the sides or the back deck. They are in affect blinded and I have the advantage of white light that is not coming from my rifle or pistol. An old police tactic that has many uses.

Yep, I like to walk around in the PJ's or sweats so my rifle and my pistol are alway's taking strolls around the house with me. Yes, there are other firearms available and only I know where they are and how to get to them. You'd have to know a four digit combination if you are fortunate enough to find their location.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but then again maybe I'm just prepared. I order and awful lot of stuff online and the UPS guy is finally getting used to me opening the door with a pistol on my hip. Besides, he generally delivers ammuntion, gun parts, more ammunition and more gun stuff. Last week it took the poor boy a dolly to deliver the ammunition to the front door.

Carry all the time, even if it's just in your hand.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
    What if you don't wear pants once you get home?! Haha...
    Do like I do and use Smart Carry with PJs

I always carry around the house.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Administrator
    One of the advantages of hardening up your home is that it buys you critical time.
    My neighborhood is extremely safe - if there is such a thing these days...but, no matter my basement windows are secured with 3/4" steel bars and ornamental iron.
    I have double solid oak front and rear doors and a perimeter alarm.
    My exterior walls are 14" thick stone. There is nobody gaining a quick and easy entry into my home.
    That being said since I have no kids in my home so I can just have a firearm close and handy.
    The shotty and my .45 are right there when I am sleeping.
    I just pretty much "common sense" it. When I go out I'm always armed.
    Always make certain that your home tougher to get into than your neighbors homes.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

When I get home my piece goes into the gun vault immediately, so I can get my daily dose of hugging/playing/wrestling with the kids. I have my german shepard to greet any thugs that may come knocking. He's an awesome watchdog.
    CW

I forgot one thing. (That happens a lot these days)
    Alcohol. As soon as I pick up a drink I put the gun away for sure. Even though I never have more than 1 or 2 a day. I did the same thing when I was a volunteer firefighter. Take off my pager when I pick up a drink. If there is an incident, and something goes wrong. The last thing I want is alcohol on my breath. The lawyers will take that and run with it. Same thing goes for drinking and driving too. That's why I have a wife. Designated driver and she can handle the gun pretty good too. She's a keeper.
    Cw

I kinda "ride the fence" on this querry.........better than 50% of the time that I'm at home, in my house, I'm carrying. The other half is due to any one or more factors.....just got home from/preparing to go to work (where guns are a no-no), making preperations to go somewhere where guns/carrying is a no-no (school functions, etc.).

I have access to my firearm when it's not on my person but due to young'ens running around (half the neighborhood kids can be found at my house at any given time ....."is ______ home?, What'cha cookin' for supper Mr. Goldie?, etc.) I'll place my sidearm in it's lock-box, a small, quick-access safe, and I practice getting to it quickly.

Overall, I'm of the "if I'm awake and dressed, then I'm carrying" mindset.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Thumbs up

Mine's either on me, or less than an arm's reach away.
    My wife was feeling somewhat "combative" last night, and she saw the Glock on the table next to me while I was in sweats working out in a back bedroom. She said something like "Isn't that a little paranoid?" I said "Nope, just prepared."
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

G&G
    I live in the Burbs. I'm just off of a main road and a lot of people turn around in my driveway. I've had people knock on my door for directions. I've never had any trouble. All it takes is one time. I carry while at home much more often now.
    Be ready. You can't make an appointment for an emergency.

I have my 5 inch. Baer on now.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

We live in the proverbial "Safe Place in the Country" so my house is not well secured. Everyone around us is either a friend or relative and we keep things pretty well unlocked most of the time. It would be nothing for one of them to walk right in the house unannounced and yell to see if anyone was home. I know that will sound odd to a lot of you but that is just the way it is out here.

However I am not at all oblivious to the real world around me. I commute from here to my office in down town Topeka where the crime rate per capita is one of the highest. I am armed from the second I put my pants on to the second I take them off. When in bed or the bathroom I am within reach of either my carry gun or the home defense shotgun. I am not paranoid but I refuse to give up the lifestyle of the country so I am very diligent about being armed and in condition yellow at all times.
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

~ Thomas Jefferson

I tend to not wear guns in my own home unless I am trying new rigs out. The way I see it is that my home is my castle and I do not want to mix my free time with guns. My free time includes reading, napping, sex, bathroom breaks, drinking, cooking and so on. There are guns everywhere at home and I feel that if I hear someone breaking in I'd have enough time. Now my fear is that one night I will be at home drinking with some friends and some burgular with a gun breaks in and I have to shoot...whilst intoxicated. That is what scares me the most...
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links