Why disarm at home?

This is a discussion on Why disarm at home? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tns0038 I never ware a firearm at home. But, I do keep two loaded and strategically placed for fast access. I figure ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why disarm at home?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    I never ware a firearm at home. But, I do keep two loaded and strategically placed for fast access. I figure my home, is very secure. Dogs bark when someone enters the yard, long before the reach the door. And with quality deadbolts, on all the exterior doors, someone is going to have to kick at least twice before they can come in.
    I really wonder how many people with dogs that bark, really pay attention when they do bark, everytime? I've had dogs that would bark at any noise. I didnt get up and see what they were barking at or go on "red alert". Dogs are great to have , but there can be an awfull lot of "false alarms".

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by eww View Post
    Either my Kimber is on my belt or the P3AT is in my pocket.
    Hey!
    That's what I do...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

ckd
    Routinely carrying at home is smart and develops a comfort level, so you'll tend to feel awkward if you aren't. If for no other reason than home invasions are on the rise in all neighborhoods, it seems smart to carry at home. No, when I shower I don't take it with me, but is within arms reach. Sure I'd rather repel with my SG, but I might have to fight my way to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    I could justify my action of having recently consumed alcohol and being armed as the protection of my family from imminent danger far outweighs the need for public safety.
    Personally if I ever had to shoot someone in my home I'd probably have a drink or two to calm my nerves long before the police ever arrived. So, if asked I'd honestly say officier I was so upset by the guys screaming and the brains staining my new carpet I had a couple of drinks to steady my nerves, I probably should not answer any more questions until my lawyer arrives
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

VIP Member
    I'd highly suggest that you not start drinking after shooting someone. Way too many ways for that to get turned and twisted on you.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    I'd highly suggest that you not start drinking after shooting someone. Way too many ways for that to get turned and twisted on you.
    Did you read that in context?
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossman View Post
    I carry at times way more than I should.
    Impossible! I carry all the time; rarely consume alcohol and never more than 1 beer. I don't like the out-of-control feeling that comes with inebriation.

Very thought provoking P95Carry! Unfortunately I am condemed with living on the MD / Pa line and do most of my business in MD to include work although when I am home, I am armed. Just cannot wait to to get the MP 40. That gp100 gets a bit heavy on the hip after a day of good carry. Thank you!
    Life is too short, stop to smell the roses and don't let anyone take it away from you!

I dont think anything is wrong in wearing it in a holster at home. As a matter of fact, when I owned a small horse ranch I always had it on my side just like le ole' west days. Nobody thought twice about it as far as I could tell. But now I live in the burbs and walking out to mow the lawn with a holster on my side might stimulate a little more conversation than I'd be comfortable with. I don't want too much general knowlege of my home firearms. I guess if it was in an IWB holster while mowing it would be ok but I usually don't wear too much in the sun. My weapon DOES go out with me, though. I usually keep it in a newspaper on the patio or somewhere similiar very nearby.

Senior Moderator
    Snub41,

What make and model is that in your avatar?
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
    What if you don't wear pants once you get home?! Haha.
    That's when the "belly wrap" comes in handy. Seriously tho', when I get home it goes from CC to holster on the hip - unless my pants are off.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

you're not my neighbor, r u Tangle (hehe ) ? It's a Rossi 38 special model 351, my Saturday Night Special (not in a criminal sense). Such a simple but reliable weapon.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I always have a gun within reach. I do take it off when I'm at home. I like to relax or kick back on the sofa, and having my peice on my side can be a little uncomfortbale at times. It may not be on me, but there is always a gun within an arms reach while I'm at home, be it shotgun, handgun or what have you.

I don't usually carry at home. Sometimes I'll keep my P3AT or PF-9 in my pocket if I'm wearing baggy shorts. Otherwise, I usually stick one of those (or a Bersa, or a Llama 45) in a holster and essentially carry it around with me...if I'm on the computer, its on the desk with me. If I'm in the kitchen, its on the counter. If I'm watching TV, its on the table next to me.

And if I'm upstairs, I'd defer to a Saiga 12 gauge with 10 rounds of buckshot.

I am planning on getting a German shepherd though, especially when my wife starts staying at home during the day. A good watchdog is a great way to purchase a bit of extra time.

Re alcohol, I think it affects people in different ways. In moderation, a glass of beer is not something that "changes" me or clouds my thinking. I do know that some people are more dramatically affected by it though, and I think a person just has to individually make a very objective determination of the risks and benefits for themselves on that subject. It's a bit of a gray area, IMO, since you could make a similar argument (to a lesser extent) about coffee and other food and beverages that can affect one's mental state.

This thread was a great read though. Occasionally I am a bit lax on ensuring I have a gun within reach, and it doesn't take a lot to maintain that discipline, so I should be more cautious in that regard.
    "For evil to flourish all that is required is for good men to spout clichés." - Hugh Laurie

me
    I make every effort to carry at home. That being said I live in my parents house currently and they see no point in house carry. There is a 38 in the living room, a 357 in their bedroom and a .40 in dad's office so they we are good. That being said I carry my .40 till told to put it away, then they don't know i stuck the KT in my pocket.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links