Why disarm at home?

This is a discussion on Why disarm at home? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I too, am a strong advocate of "If my pants are on - my gun is on!" however since I live alone, when I am ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why disarm at home?

I too, am a strong advocate of "If my pants are on - my gun is on!" however since I live alone, when I am in my home I am in my skivvies and carrying in skivvies is difficult, hence I keep a gun within easy reach. I also have an excellent alternative device - a "Help I've fallen and cant get up" alarm button around my neck. One push of that and in less than 5 minutes I will have a Fire Truck, a rescue unit w/ ambulance and a Deputy Sheriff here. Also the alarm makes some horrendous noises which very likely will discourage an intruder.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

2. Remove Ads

Well i have to say i keep mine one untill bed, i have a little one running around the house, i want to be ready if something was to happen so i think it is the sefest place for it to be , in my holster on my hip, that way i know where it is and that i can control who has access to it.

VIP Member
    I totally agree P95Carry but man, I sure am considered a nut case by everyone from my wife down to acquaintances.
    I even have a bedside holster for my P-220 with a spare magazine.

I'm afraid I have to admit I am one of those people who does care to some degree what others think in as much as I have to deal with their questions and snide remarks often. SHEESH!

But I am resolute that what I am doing is right and makes sense and I am not willing to change my habits to please others. But it is a constant point of stress for me that I think I'm just stuck with!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duisburg View Post
    I tend to not wear guns in my own home unless I am trying new rigs out. The way I see it is that my home is my castle and I do not want to mix my free time with guns. My free time includes reading, napping, sex, bathroom breaks, drinking, cooking and so on. There are guns everywhere at home and I feel that if I hear someone breaking in I'd have enough time. Now my fear is that one night I will be at home drinking with some friends and some burgular with a gun breaks in and I have to shoot...whilst intoxicated. That is what scares me the most...
    Duisberg, I am guessing you are not currently living in Germany. We lived there for years and the gun laws were pretty tight. Even when hunting we had to bring along the local game warden. He would then tell us what deer we could shoot and when. Funny as it sounds, there were virtually no gun related hunting accidents. Very strictly controlled and ditto with personal weapons.

Distinguished Member
    I'm in an awkward place with carrying at home. There have been two armed break-ins in our neighborhood (meth heads) so the case for carrying at home has big merits. The kids are grown and gone. I never worried about them as one post talked about educating them early and that worked well for us. I did worry about their friends so I kept a lock on the pistol and HD shotgun during the day. Have not had a drink in 15 months and three weeks (but who's counting?) so that's not a concern. However, my type of work has me entertaining constantly or counseling out of my home office. Living in AZ makes conceal carry a little more difficult ("Pardon me. My sweat has shifted my firearm away from the sweet spot and I need to adjust."). Lastly, working on a military base makes it virtually impossible to carry daily. How I wish we could. Life would be a little safer. As per an older post, I have a few "stashed" here and there - like the garage and den.

VIP Member
    I'am packin all the time....around my home or around the store or out on the road...

Assistant Administrator
    Thumper - sorry you catch so much grief ........ ask those who give you flak ....

"If you had auto insurance for 100 days in the year - which days when driving would you decide to use it''?

Also .......... "if you had a heart condition and needed pills for angina - would you leave them out of your pocket any time?"

"Within reach" does not always work for some things plus few if any folks have mastered clairvoyance!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    I sleep with a 12 ga and a 9mm under my pillow.
    You must have either a really short shotgun, or a really long pillow!

(Yeah, I know what you meant. Couldn't resist.)

:o)

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    You must have either a really short shotgun, or a really long pillow!

(Yeah, I know what you meant. Couldn't resist.)

:o)
    When I was a kid my parents let me sleep with a 12GA shotgun. It was an old single shot that my grandfather gave me. It made me feel more secure than a teddy bear. I was about 6 or 7 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
    What if you don't wear pants once you get home?!
    Do what I do when I don't wear pants, wear a shoulder holster. It's quite a liberating experience I tell ya!

But seriously, the only time when I don't carry in my home is when I'm:
    Sleeping - have it in a GunVault underneath my bed;
    Drinking alcohol;
    Showering;
    Visiting with a lady friend.

I don't want to have to run past an intruder to get to my firearm so I can defend myself. Also, I don't want to give the intruder the opportunity to use my own guns against me, thus I don't leave them out.

I contend that, the safest place for your carry piece is on your person - all the more so if you are way younger than me and have kids around. Second to that is - a ''few seconds'' might be critical.
    And this is true at all times in all circumstances, so far as I can tell. The criminals' union doesn't publish a schedule, in advance. Until then, it's safer to have it with you, absolutely.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I may or may not have a beer after work with my pants on.
    Biker

do you mean you sometimes you enjoy beer with your pants off?

I carry all the time at home, unless I'm sleeping then the gun is on the floor just under the bed covered by a t-shirt. I figure it would be quicker and easier to just roll onto the floor and grab the gun rather than trying to get it out of a nightstand drawer. When I get up, the gun goes with me. Yes, I take it into the bathroom with me while I shower.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I totally agree P95Carry but man, I sure am considered a nut case by everyone from my wife down to acquaintances.
    I even have a bedside holster for my P-220 with a spare magazine.

I'm afraid I have to admit I am one of those people who does care to some degree what others think in as much as I have to deal with their questions and snide remarks often. SHEESH!

But I am resolute that what I am doing is right and makes sense and I am not willing to change my habits to please others. But it is a constant point of stress for me that I think I'm just stuck with!
    When you save your life or their lives due to your "paranoia" (preparedness), they are going to owe you many apologies for their snide remarks.

I've had some similar comments in the past from my wife, but after barking to her about her owing me apologies when I save her rear someday, she's backed off the condescending comments. I've also made certain she hears about nearby random crime.

Good on you for not letting anyone else determine your level of preparedness.

I'm carrying two. More are readily available (Only child is grown and gone).

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links