Why disarm at home? - Page 6

Why disarm at home?

This is a discussion on Why disarm at home? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by grady I've also made certain she hears about nearby random crime. Haha, I do the same thing...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Why disarm at home?

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    I've also made certain she hears about nearby random crime.
    Haha, I do the same thing

The more I read the news the closer I want to keep my gun. I might never need it but if I do it will be there. We have quite a few home invasions here and the hoods have been doing their nasty stuff in broad daylight lately. It's better to be safe then sorry.

I don't always carry when at home. I usually wind up stripping down to my shirt and jeans/shorts, but I always leave something within a couple of steps at most. I understand that in the heat of the moment that I may not have the luxury of getting to it, but it is something that I do leave to chance.

When I get home from work, I usually wind up wrestling with my three year old, or have my one year old bouncing on me. In these events, there have been times where they have banged their heads on the gun/holster, or they have attempted to puncture my kidney with it.

For the past few nights, I have been sleeping on the couch because we have been passing a cold around the house. I got it from one of the kids, and in order to keep from infecting the wife, I started sleeping on the couch. Now she has it, and I am getting over it, so I am still on the couch. I have my necessaries with me (gun, spare, BUG, wallet with ID, pocket knife) in a case beside the couch.

The wife has access to another handgun and the shotgun. If one of us was to wake to the other digging around in the kitchen or fetching a crying young'un, we can communicate our presence with "codewords" of sorts. After being together for nearly ten years, we can communicate without saying anything even in the dark.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

P95Carry...I like your mission statement! You sound like a man who speaks from experience and with a vision. By the way, I checked out your website and liked it! I particularly admired the Lee Enfield bolt action rifle pics (and the Webley mark VI...and the Ruger SP101 (the latter is my primary ccw). I am a big World War One history buff, and the Lee Enfield military longstock field rifle is by far, my favorite rifle (I like it better than our American Springfield bolt action rifle...but don't tell anyone, I wouldn't want to insult any of our American military arm's history buffs!) You have an impressive arms collection.
    Sincerely,
    greyhound1

Quote Originally Posted by freetrapper View Post
    We live in the proverbial "Safe Place in the Country" so my house is not well secured.
    I live about tweny miles outside of the nearest town. Our place is mile and a half up a dirt road and my driveway is about six acres long. We have web cams all along our property some concealed some visible. We have two attack turkeys (serious these guys are mean) Three 120LB + dogs that don't bark unless they hear something unusal like a bear or intruders. If my pants are on so is my gun
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    I . We have two attack turkeys (serious these guys are mean)

How many will still be available for attack after Thanksgiving?

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    We have two attack turkeys (serious these guys are mean) ...
    I'm not laughing, 'cause I remember "attack" roosters #1 and #2 at the cousins' farm, growing up. That was a joy, coming to visit them. Same cousins that showed me the pleasures of a shooting side-by-side 10ga shotgun, at age 10. They thought it was funny, too ... both the 10ga shooting over the draw, and the roosters. I've still got a scar from rooster #2 and the damage he did.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I always carry at home the g27 comes off and a p3at goes in the pocket.I call that slipping into something more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post

How many will still be available for attack after Thanksgiving?
    Both of these will be. We'll be eating their kids, next year. They are Bourbon Reds AKA Kentucky Reds or Bourbon Butternuts. We free range them with their wings partially clipped because they come back to roost at night in their pen that we lock up to keep them safe from predators. Toms get to be about 33lbs and hens about 18lbs

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I've still got a scar from rooster #2 and the damage he did.
    These are chicks, still have that vulture look young birds have. Had them with our chuckers at first but they trampled two of them to death getting to the food. The Toms are already real territorial and am told they will get increasingly protective of the hens. We got them at eight weeks old and they were two feet tall. I knew geese were like that still have a scar from being bit by one. Did not know that turkeys are aggressive as well. It is kind of funny because when folks come here for the first time they are leery of the dogs and they end up getting attacked by turkeys.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    When I was a kid my parents let me sleep with a 12GA shotgun. It was an old single shot that my grandfather gave me. It made me feel more secure than a teddy bear. I was about 6 or 7 years old.
    That's just awesome!! Can't you see an anti mother-in-law going into cardiac arrest when she goes to tuck in her little sweetums!"

Night Sentry.jpg This is what I use at night time when sleeping. You can purchase this at www.diamondsentrydistributors.com . I really like it.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

P95,

The following I've copied & pasted from a post I made in todays thread ' Another 'could have been prevented had she been armed' story.'; http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=36506
    My post specific to my own life, and that of parents with young children, addresses directly your question of why disarm at home.

Myself I rarely carry when home inside my house.

Reasons for not doing so are multiple but the largest of them being I like these ladies have small children, a daughter turning 5 next Thursday and 15 mo. old son.
    Both of them love to play. We roll around on the floor, I give horsey and piggy back rides, they stand and jump on my stomach (a great ab workout BTW), hit me with pillows, and generally act like kids who are free when at home to enjoy themselves.
    For me carrying at home even when holstered just isn't practical and it's same for alot if not most parents of same aged children that I know of right now IRL.

I do often carry a folder in my pocket at home as well as when on the street, aside from my fixed blade knives. But otherwise most often my firearms are stored under lock and key when I'm home. I've looked into it but the practically of safe and legal storage of multiple firearms around my home is very limited and also basically impractical. Others homes and lives of course may vary...
    - Janq

P.S - Walvord that is excellent!!!
    Thanks for the link as I've never seen that before and I love the functionality of the concept.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Assistant Administrator
    Janq - points taken.

Despite my wish to always have folks think about ''immediacy'' for their carry availability - and I know I do encourage it quite strongly, I am equally aware of the various problems and factors affecting individuals.

It is after all something that cannot be applied in a ''blanket'' manner, but where it is possible and practicable I do always strongly urge it. I am lucky (if old age can be called luck !) ..... that I have no factors in the house to worry about like kids any more.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I am wearing 99% of the time also. Except for showering, sleeping, places prohibited, and when I am wrestling with my 2 year old and 10 month old.
    Jason

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no recourse left but in the exertion of that original right of self defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government..."
    -Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist (#28)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Sponsored Links