Why disarm at home?

This is a discussion on Why disarm at home? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK - this is contentious perhaps and hardly a new subject in many ways - many folks quite possibly disarm (well - divest of gun ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why disarm at home?

Assistant Administrator

Why disarm at home?

OK - this is contentious perhaps and hardly a new subject in many ways - many folks quite possibly disarm (well - divest of gun and rig off body when at home). OK - you live in the middle of nowhere - but is that somehow sacrosanct?

I am thinking however of the oft mentioned statement - ''ah but - I have guns stashed everywhere and one is at least a mere few seconds away"!

I contend that, the safest place for your carry piece is on your person - all the more so if you are way younger than me and have kids around. Second to that is - a ''few seconds'' might be critical. Count to five slowly and imagine what could happen in that relatively short time!

Another factor is ...... avoiding that possibility of reach down to where Rosco usually lives, only to find .. whoops .... he ain't there!! Suddenly it's a real bad day!

I am as some know a devotee of all day carry regardless - and tho I work from home and am stuck in my office most of the day - I am never without my friend. I guess I am always trying to promote dedicated carry - it is my way ... tho for sure no need to inflict that on everyone else, I know. JMHO - no more.

Point is - how do we know, any of us .... when something will go down? Tomorrow? Next week? Next month or year? Hopefully never.

Who knows, I sure don't. But I plan to be not having to rush and fumble for a ''house gun'' if Murphy arranges for an unexpected visit from some bad guy! I want the best chance fate can deliver and that means Mr SIG is there - from getting up to going to bed!

All of course - just this old man's 2c
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Times I am unarmed in my home:
    Sleeping (and other bedroom activities)
    Drinking alcohol
    Taking a shower

Otherwise my rule is:
    If my pants are on my gun is on. If it is legal for me to carry, I'm carrying.

Assistant Administrator
    If my pants are on my gun is on. If it is legal for me to carry, I'm carrying
    You are on my page dude!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

What if you don't wear pants once you get home?! Haha.
    But honestly, I do take my gun off when I get home from work or being out. It sits on my coffee table until I leave again or go to bed. I don't see anything wrong with keeping it on but I just have never really worried about it too much.
    Glock 26 4gen, H&K USPc, S&W 642, Wilson Combat 1911 CQB

the only time my guns come off are:

1. when i'm in my daughter's school.
    2. when i'm in a government building.
    3. when i'm sleeping. and as far as that goes, the gun's no longer on my waist, but under the pillow or on the nightstand.

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Great post! Mine's with me all the time. LEO response time to my little outpost is around 20-minutes plus. First line of defense is me.

I don't want to be the mess they have to clean up.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    OK - this is contentious perhaps and

Point is - how do we know, any of us .... when something will go down? Tomorrow? Next week? Next month or year? Hopefully never.

Who knows, I sure don't. But I plan to be not having to rush and fumble for a ''house gun'' if Murphy arranges for an unexpected visit from some bad guy! I want the best chance fate can deliver and that means Mr SIG is there - from getting up to going to bed!

All of course - just this old man's 2c
    Sounds like good sensible policy to me. I'm one who often keeps a house gun nearby but not actually on my person. Think I'm going to change that and start doing as you do P95Carry. Local news tonight reports a dangerous goblin on the loose in our neighborhood...advises to keep doors locked and attached garage doors closed. Good time to start wearing that gun 16/7.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Times I am unarmed in my home:
    Sleeping (and other bedroom activities)
    Drinking alcohol
    Taking a shower
    Drinking alcohol? I've only owned a gun for a week and a half, but at the moment, I just about always carry at home except when taking a shower (when the gun is in my room) and when sleeping (when I keep my gun beside my bed). I drink sometimes but I never get drunk, and up to this point I haven't felt a need to take off my gun if I'm going to have a two or three drinks. Actually I've only drank once or twice since buying my gun, and I resolved just not to take my gun out of the holster for any reason, in case I fumble the gun and accidentally pull the trigger (which is unlikely but possible I suppose). I'm going to have easy access to my gun no matter where it is in my apartment, so is there any point in not having it on me when I drink?

I am guilty of this. Currently my Glock is about 15 feet away. I'm kind of screw if someone kicked in the front door right now. I need to find a weapon that is lightweight enough to drop in my PJ pants pocket. I think my PM40 would be a little heavy. Maybe a little KT?

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceGibson View Post
    I don't want to be the mess they have to clean up.
    Gun is never more than a arms length away.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

I usually don't have mine with me if I'm drinking at home either.

I've got a 6 year old son so I never set my handgun down in the house without putting it in one of my vaults. I do however keep a gun on me at almost all times. I figure I would not be able to open a vault quick enough to defend my family if necessary. At night when I go to bed I lock my carry gun up. Next to the bed I do have one of those little finger controled electronic safes with a Baby Eagle .40 adapted with a Streamlight/laser.

I don't think my son would handle a gun left out because I've taught him not to and he does get to shoot when he wants to but I don't want to take a chance on his life. When he was 3 he found my visiting sister & Brother-in-laws 9mm in their travel trailer and did exactly what we had taught him to. Stop, leave the room and tell an adult. It scared the snot out of my sister and she learned a great lesson.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Quote Originally Posted by philbert2.71828 View Post
    Drinking alcohol? I've only owned a gun for a week and a half, but at the moment, I just about always carry at home except when taking a shower (when the gun is in my room) and when sleeping (when I keep my gun beside my bed). I drink sometimes but I never get drunk, and up to this point I haven't felt a need to take off my gun if I'm going to have a two or three drinks. Actually I've only drank once or twice since buying my gun, and I resolved just not to take my gun out of the holster for any reason, in case I fumble the gun and accidentally pull the trigger (which is unlikely but possible I suppose). I'm going to have easy access to my gun no matter where it is in my apartment, so is there any point in not having it on me when I drink?
    In my state I can carry with a BAC of .02. Do I have an accurate means of determining my BAC at any given moment? No. So as a responsible, law abiding citizen, when the alcohol comes out the gun goes away. Period.

If I were caught carrying while having higher than a .02 BAC I would lose my permit for 6 months, have a hefty fine, have to go to an alcohol treatment program and not be able to carry to protect myself for 6 months. Is that worth the laziness of not taking my gun off? No.

As far as safety goes, my garage doors are locked. The door to the garage from the laundry room is locked. Both front doors are locked. All the windows are locked. My wife is watching TV right now. My 1yo son is sleeping upstairs. My carry pistol is upstairs in my pistol safe locked on top of my nightstand. I am in my office with a nice ice cold Labatt Blue Light on the desk sitting here on the computer not but four feet from my AR15 with a loaded mag in place, empty chamber, bayonet attached. Not 8 feet from me is my gun safe with quite an assortment of weapons deemed suitable for defense.

Should anyone start to break in to my house at the moment here is what would go down. I would yell to my wife the situation while I grab the AR, load the chamber, and cover her retreat to my pistol safe upstairs to get my Glock and take my cell phone into our son's room and watch over him while she calls 911 and I wait for the police to arrive (whom two police departments (local and state) are located 1.5 blocks down the road from my house. I would stand at the top of the stairs upstairs and she would be in the son's room. This is our plan and we have practiced it since moving in to our house.

If the aforementioned were to happen and I would have to be forced to defend my family, yes I would have been armed while having alcohol in my system. I doubt it would be over the .02 BAC limit. I could justify my action of having recently consumed alcohol and being armed as the protection of my family from imminent danger far outweighs the need for public safety (which is the rationale behind the no alcohol and guns laws).

I would have a lot easier and more understandable time explaining myself than someone who is too lazy to take the gun off.

I do not take to carrying a firearm lightly. It is a great responsibility. Alcohol and an attitude have no place around guns.

eww
    Either my Kimber is on my belt or the P3AT is in my pocket.

i have gotten into the bad habit of not carrying at home for a very simple reason.
    i can rarely carry. 4-5 days a week i am at school, where i cant carry, from 8 till 6. then sitting in my room, or sometimes in the living room till bedtime.
    the days im not at school i am at my local study joint. then i am carrying of course, and as soon as i leave those days im either off to school or the range (then i also must disarm, unload, and put in my range bag, since the range is on school)
    dont get me wrong, if i EVER leave the house not at school my gun is on me.
    and on those days, when im home, my gun stays on my hip till bed time. (like right now) but there are days on end where i am either at home or at school, so often it doesnt come out of its place next to my bed.
    once im done with school (and on thanksgiving break starting tmrw) i hope to get into the good habit of carrying at home too.

as far as drinking at home goes- i very very very very rarely drink, and even less at home. but if i am thinking of having even one drink, the gun gets put away before hand.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links