Do you carry while you clean?

This is a discussion on Do you carry while you clean? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone else keep a loaded gun on them while cleaning their carry gun? I went to the range yesterday and put some rounds through ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you carry while you clean?

Do you carry while you clean?

Does anyone else keep a loaded gun on them while cleaning their carry gun? I went to the range yesterday and put some rounds through my carry (HK P2000sk). So last night I sat down to clean it, I had the HK apart when I realized that if I was to be the subject of a home invasion right now, my carry gun is apart and useless, so I went to the safe and grabbed the XD9 and put that on. Then I thought maybe I am being a little too paranoid. What do you all think?

2. Remove Ads

At the range I always make it a point to have a loaded firearm available. Yeah, yeah, sounds like paranoia but I don't care. My preference is to have the weapon in it's holster where it's readily available. Don't want to be reaching for something thinking "is this loaded, etc. etc." Also, at the range I will tuck the shirt in so that the weapon is easily seen. I know this sounds crazy but I prefer that others at the range know that the gun is about 1/2 second away from the time it's needed to the time it's presented.

As for cleaning at home, yes, I always want something within reach. Has that aways been the case, no. But it's pretty rare for me to clean one and not have a loaded one within easy reach.

Unfortunately, I only own one firearm. I'm going to save up to bet another USP compact, but that will probably take another year. Until then, one HK USP compact will have to suffice.

VIP Member
    I don't tend to worry about it too much. Of course, I'm within 5 feet of a loaded 12 gauge while I'm cleaning so it isn't much of a worry. No matter what I'm doing, either the carry gun or the shotgun will be ready if I need it.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fairway1 View Post
    Does anyone else keep a loaded gun on them while cleaning their carry gun? I went to the range yesterday and put some rounds through my carry (HK P2000sk). So last night I sat down to clean it, I had the HK apart when I realized that if I was to be the subject of a home invasion right now, my carry gun is apart and useless, so I went to the safe and grabbed the XD9 and put that on. Then I thought maybe I am being a little too paranoid. What do you all think?
    I am in full agreement with you.

Not only do I always keep a loaded gun around when I am cleaning guns, I never leave a range without wearing a loaded gun with which I can protect myself and the guns I'm leaving the range with. To me, it's just common sense and preparedness!

in the home I always have one within reach!
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Just don't clean your guns in front of a BIG window... LOL
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Your normal. Don't sweat the small stuff.

I think you should--
    1. Spend more quality time with your spouse.
    AND/OR
    2.Carry a revolver.

SO
    You don't think about stuff like that.
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    I make it a point to NEVER be without one if possible..
    If at range and I shoot one of my guns that I carry I ALWAYS carry a different one for the day. When I get up its with me until I go to sleep then its right there
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

Whenever I'm at a range I have a designated carry gun that does not get fired. The reason behind this is if I get stopped for any reason and the LEO feels the need to disarm me and inspect my firearm, it's clear that it was not just fired in the commission of a crime. A clean firearm gets less attention that one that was just fired.

All the firearms that were fired at the range are in the back of the van, unloaded and cased not easily accessible to the driver. This also is for the LEO's peace of mind. Hopefully this will show a concern for safety and responsibility on my part, and overall make the stop go smoother.

When home, the unfired gun stays on me while I clean the rest. I also do a weekly inspection and wipe down of my carry firearms (I carry a main and a back up). I do them one at a time, this way one is always loaded, ready and attached to my body.

I follow the same sentiment of many here, if I'm dressed my firearm is on me. When not dressed around the house I do actually carry it around with me. When showering it stays on the hamper hidden by the towel and if I'm alone, the bathroom door is locked to give me a little extra time.
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

I'm with the one in the hand and one on the hip crowd at the range. When I clean it's usualy a large undertaking so one of the weapons is handy to defend the home.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Quote Originally Posted by fairway1 View Post
    Does anyone else keep a loaded gun on them while cleaning their carry gun? ?
    Yes. And when I clean a gun after a trip to the range I usually don't re-load it untill after a second cleaning next day or day after so I do make sure something else in the arsenal is loaded and ready.

i wish i had more than one gun

Normal behavior for me.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links