DC Metro Carry?

This is a discussion on DC Metro Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I have an issue. I have to take a bus from school back home for thanksgiving break (bout time!!). The bus drops me off ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DC Metro Carry?

DC Metro Carry?

Well I have an issue. I have to take a bus from school back home for thanksgiving break (bout time!!). The bus drops me off at the Vienna metro station. My parents live near the Franconia-Springfield station.

I was just gonna take the metro from Vienna to Franconia-Springfield...except I dunno the rules on carrying in the metro..and I dunno if it actually is "in" the district.

Can anyone shed any light on this?
    http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm

looks to me like I stay out of the district (according to that map). What are the rules regarding the actual metro trains?

Is this a concealed is concealed situation?

2. Remove Ads

If in VA...follow VA law (OC=legal), CC legal with CHP. Look at the map--as long as you don't cross the river, you're GTG. Recommend you keep it concealed on Metro.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Gotcha. I was gonna bring my other gun with me to possibly hit up the ranges up there but I think I will just stick to my carry.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    If you cross in the the district at any time while on the metro, with as much as a single round of ammo.....at this present time, you will be breaking the law, and if spotted will be arrested. Unfortunatly the cases are still fighting their way through court, and do not hope a Metropolitan or Metro officer wont cuff you, they will.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I did a little research on the METRO's webpage: http://www.wmata.com/default.cfm

After searching for the term "weapon", I came up with several references:

From a March 18, 2006 Metro Police Blotter

9:51 p.m. An outbound Green Line train at Southern Avenue was delayed to allow Metro Transit Police to investigate a report of a customer carrying a weapon. Service resumed after police determined the customer was a U.S. Marshal.

Reference to the "rules" stated:
    "It’s important to follow Metro’s laws while traveling throughout the system. Eating, drinking and smoking are not allowed, as is fighting, being disruptive, carrying weapons or other dangerous articles, and destroying Metro property."

You might want to rethink your travel plans.

laws or policies?

AFAIK policies aren't legally binding in Virginia.

A little more research found this excerpt from 2002 (no guarantee things have not changed):

http://www.virginia1774.org/METROLetter.jpg

The Principal Deputy General Counsel for WMATA issued the following letter on April 8, 2002 in response to concealed carry inquiry on Metro. "This is in response to your recent letter. It was commendable for you to consult with us and we appreciate the opportunity to advise you. As to your question, there is no WMATA regulation or tariff which would preclude persons from carrying concealed firearms while aboard Metrorail or Metrobuses in the Commonwealth of Virginia. This does not mean that there are no other laws, rules or ordinances which apply, although our queries to police authorities have not indicated the existence of such restrictions."

Other restrictions would apply such as not being able to get off at the Arlington Cemetery stop as Arlington Cemetery is off limits to concealed carry. Of course this clarification of WMATA rules only applies to Virginia. If you ride the Metro and go to Washington D.C. or Maryland while carrying, you will be arrested for violations of Washington D.C. and Maryland laws which do not allow or recognize concealed carry/firearms.

Sounds like I better not miss my Rosslyn transfer ;)

thanks for the info

Keep it concealed, and don’t get off the transit system and no one will ever know.

As to the DC area; Even if the laws change, a very good friend of mine use to be a Federal Agent assigned to the DC area, and he said that carrying a weapon undercover there was a royal pain with metal detectors everywhere you turn.

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    Keep it concealed, and don’t get off the transit system and no one will ever know.

As to the DC area; Even if the laws change, a very good friend of mine use to be a Federal Agent assigned to the DC area, and he said that carrying a weapon undercover there was a royal pain with metal detectors everywhere you turn.
    +1 A friend of mine used to be a Federal Courier there. He was authorized to carry, due to the nature of information he was transporting. He said carrying concealed, was a royal pain, he got hassled evertime he turned around. The only people they want carrying in DC are cops and criminals, that's why it's so safe.
    If you want a battle of the wit's, please come armed.

Ron Paul Revolution 2008!!!

NRA Member

no metal detectors on Metro
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Just stay out of D.C.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I'm not sure its legal to carry on the DC metro even though it goes through VA. I thought It was an extension of the District. Thats why its patrolled by Federal Police.

I know what your saying and VA law doesn't forbid it, but I thought the Metro was kind of like Quanitco MCB or Belvior. Its federal property.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    I'm not sure its legal to carry on the DC metro even though it goes through VA. I thought It was an extension of the District. Thats why its patrolled by Federal Police.

I know what your saying and VA law doesn't forbid it, but I thought the Metro was kind of like Quanitco MCB or Belvior. Its federal property.
    I was under the impression that it was NOT federal property.

I hope its not. I am notgoing to disarm while riding the DC metro late at night in the dark if I don't have to.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    I was under the impression that it was NOT federal property.

I hope its not. I am notgoing to disarm while riding the DC metro late at night in the dark if I don't have to.
    Kavity,
    Your right you can carry on the metro in VA a long as you stay in VA. Its were the rider is currently at not orginating from.

MY mistake.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links