Defensive Carry banner

Girls' Night Out: Shoes, Knives, Shirts and Guns

6K views 65 replies 46 participants last post by  Fitch 
#1 ·
A little while ago I told you all about the new gal friends that I had met since moving down here and how I introduced my carry status to them.

Well, as girls can go, we all hit it off very well and have continued to meet on a regular basis for tea, coffee, shopping and fun.

Most recently was a scheduled trip to the mall for nothing less than three hours of clothes, shoes and accessory shopping.

We met two days in advance to lay out a game plan for what we all wanted to shop for.

The Editor wanted shoes and pant-suits for her new job. The reporter wanted accessories. And me? Well, I wanted warm, cute, longer sweaters.

The Editor's eyebrows went up and she said, "OH. Because of.." followed by a nod and wink.

I informed her that while that was partly the reason, I still needed some warmer clothes for fall.

I got off work a little early last Friday and headed directly to our meeting place. I was designated driver as I am the only one who has a vehicle large enough to house three women and all of the stuff they can purchase in three house at a mall.

As I knew I would be spending some time trying on outfits in a dressing room I made certain arrangements for the evening by wearing Wilson in a Milt Sparks IWB holster that keeps him pretty close to my body and concealed. I left the Ka-Bar in my purse, the O.C. Spray in my coat pocket and my daily utility knives in my pockets.

Off to the mall we went.

Our first stop landed me with so many outfits to try on I was sure we were going to be in the dressing room for two hours.

While picking out some shirts, I picked one that was a little "tighter" than either girls expected and the Editor said, "Is that going to be okay with.. everything?" (wink, wink)

I said, "Oh yeah, I wore a special holster just for tonight," and gave her a little smile.

She said, "What do you mean, 'a special holster,' do they have those?"

I assured her that she would see in time and off we went to the dressing room.

We practically took over the place and were having a great time when I came out and stood before the three-way mirror wearing that shirt.

The Reporter, who had taken a break from shopping and was playing commentator, stood behind me, commenting on my shirt when her eyes got huge and she whispered, "Wait, where's your gun?"

I said, "It's still there."

She looked me over from head to toe and said, "Where?"

I patted it on its position behind my right hip.

"WOW. I thought you'd taken it off, but I didn't think you would have. I couldn't tell at all."

The Editor said, "I see what you mean by it being a 'special holster.'"

My next shirt was a little shorter and while it was nicely concealed because of the IWB holster, it was not long enough to cover my pockets.

The ever observant Reporter asked if there were two knives sticking out of my pockets and I bashfully admitted that there were. I explained they were my utility knives and shoved them deeper into my pockets.

Later, we went out to eat at an Applebees which meant I again had to Open Carry.

I did the concealed carry version of open carry (meaning I slung my coat over my arm until we got to our table and then sat on the inside) and only when I got up to let my friend go to the restroom did the Reporter glance Wilson.

"I keep forgetting you have that," she said, "You don't make a big deal about it and make it look so natural. It's easy to forget you even have it."

That spawned a conversation about concealed carry and self-defense options to which the Editor responded by pulling out her O.C. spray.

The Reporter laughed and said, "Look at you guys. I don't have anything like that."

I mentioned that I had O.C. spray in my coat pocket and the question came I had been anticipating all night.

"Do you really think you need all of that?"

"Look at the guy in the red shirt. Two tables down."

Both girls looked at the man, bent over his meal, less than twelve feet from our table.

"If he got up right now and started screaming and yelling and came after me, what are my options?"

Both girls judged the distance looking from me to the red-clad young man and both shrugged.

I asked, "What would you do?"

Both raised their brows and gave their answers.

The Reporter suggested spray. The Editor said to go for the knife.

I asked why they chose those weapons.

Again, they both shrugged.

I said, "What if he stood up with a knife in his hand? Does that change your decision?"

The Reporter did not respond. The Editor said she'd still go for the knife.

I asked her why she would go for a weapon that would require her to allow someone else with a weapon to get so close to her before she could use it. She said it seemed like equality of force. Bringing a knife to a knife fight seemed fair.

I reminder her that it's not about being fair. It's about staying alive.

The Reporter asked what I would have chosen.

I noted that at that distance, with a knife, he was a lethal threat that required lethal force. I would go for my gun.

I also reminded them that they were able to choose from three different methods of self-defense because all three were represented at our table.

I said, "Now imagine if I'm not armed, and you're not armed, and none of us has anything. Now what do we do if the guy in red gets up, starts screaming that he's going to kill me and runs at me with a knife?"

Both fell silent to ponder that situation for a moment.

The Editor asked what situation then would I use my knife for. I talked about the rules I have chosen to govern the use of which defense-method and when. The Reporter laughed and said, "You think WAY too much."

We all had a good laugh and when the laughter died down the Editor turned to me and said, "So, how would I go about getting a gun to carry?"

See less See more
#2 ·
After all that typing you did, the only thing I find amazing is that you met two days prior to plan a shopping trip to the mall? Jeese, I'll never understand girl brains.

Your doing a fine job of converting your friends too.

Another thing I find amazing is that you started a thread about a shopping trip on a gun forum, and this thread will go for 10 pages or so... good stuff Lima, good stuff. Keep up the good work.

#21 ·
After all that typing you did, the only thing I find amazing is that you met two days prior to plan a shopping trip to the mall? Jeese, I'll never understand girl brains.
^Agreed :rofl:. Usually when I go to buy something, I rarely go "shopping", the decision to go is made about o...an hour before I leave...

I did like the part that you were making about the fellow in the red shirt @ dinner. I will be using that in the future when I get 'those' questions. My parents give me a hard time about me carrying.

#4 ·
3 women and all their purchases? What do you drive a cargo van? J/K. Sounds like you gave them even more thoughtful advice and kept em thinking . Nice job.

#6 ·
Most recently was a scheduled trip to the mall for nothing less than three hours of clothes, shoes and accessory shopping.

We met two days in advance to lay out a game plan for what we all wanted to shop for.
"Scheduled" mall trip? Planning two days in advance?

:blink:

-B

#11 ·
LOL!! Isn't that the truth!

I just wanted to give them a face to see and a real look at how close our environment is with other people.

I've found it drives the point home a little better when you point to a real person sitting not-so-far-away than doing the whole, "Imagine you are leaving work...."

#12 ·
Later, we went out to eat at an Applebees which meant I again had to Open Carry.

I did the concealed carry version of open carry (meaning I slung my coat over my arm until we got to our table and then sat on the inside)
I was told when taking my concealed handgun class that in Virginia, that is still legally considered concealed carry, because covering your gun with a coat or sitting in a way that the gun isn't visible from the aisle makes the gun "hidden from common observation." Just a thought, since your location is listed as Virginia.

#13 ·
Thats a total gray area, imo, and completely up for debate. And honestly, I doubt a cop would try and give you grief over that kind of technicality...and even if he/she did try to press the issue I believe any 2 bit lawyer and a halfway intelligent judge would sort it out in your favor.

For all intents and purposes "common observation" is the phrase used to determine "concealment", but what is common observation? Heck, I wore my out of waistband holster (with a shirt tucked in behind it) for an entire week on campus and NO ONE said anything to me about it... common observation isn't very observant.

#14 ·
She said it seemed like equality of force. Bringing a knife to a knife fight seemed fair.

I reminder her that it's not about being fair. It's about staying alive.
Yeah...

Knife fights are fun...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLNovzbq3KI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8AoywlwCB4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCfLBn2Ih20

Oh, and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_GVOpGs5ZI - Atienza Kali mass attack drills.

Well...

Maybe if you have a screwed up sense of fun...

#16 ·
Wow, Lima strikes again. Imagine that. This is a shopping spree thread that will undoubtedly last for days...on a CC forum.

I got off work a little early last Friday and headed directly to our meeting place. I was designated driver as I am the only one who has a vehicle large enough to house three women and all of the stuff they can purchase in three house at a mall.
They make those?:hand5:

#17 ·
hopefully i can keep my situational awreness at a high enough level that i won't get stabbed. Good post Lima, tell her to sign up on the forum and get a her a gun and a license... in that order :lol:

#19 ·
Difference between men & women

limatunes said:
To a woman that might sound like fun, to me it would be pure torture! Three hours of clothes shopping is about a year and a half's worth for me. Maybe two years.

#31 ·
Now if we could just manage to work in something about God and Rock n Roll... (sigh)...this would be just perfect. :35:

#23 ·
Man, I hope I never have a run in with someone skilled with a knife. That almost scares me more than the thought of being shot at!!

As for the guy in the red shirt... he was just a harmless example, but you never know just what is going through someones head. There are some really crazy people out there, and it's best to be aware and prepared at all times.

#24 ·
Shoes, Knives, Shirts and Guns
The sweater. Gets 'em every time. :35:

Nice bit of dialogue, there. Shows how good people can go down an unthinking path but be brought to face their unreality fairly easily, with a few choice questions and getting to the heart of the decisions that need to be made. "What would you do if ...," indeed.

#26 ·
Lima, I need to send my wife down to meet you for a lesson in the need for carrying although can we leave the shopping part out of it? lol. That thread was a hoot! Thanks for the post.

#28 ·
Great post as usual Lima

Three hours shopping....I'd rather be waterboarded

Good tip on pointing out a real person, I'll use it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.