Maryland = Pain in the rear end

Maryland = Pain in the rear end

This is a discussion on Maryland = Pain in the rear end within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok I've read other threads here about transporting a handgun thru Maryland. Now I live in South Central PA and at times travel to WV ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maryland = Pain in the rear end

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Angry Maryland = Pain in the rear end

Ok I've read other threads here about transporting a handgun thru Maryland. Now I live in South Central PA and at times travel to WV and VA which have reciprocity with PA. There is about a 10 mile stretch of interstate 81 that goes thru Hagerstown, MD before you get to WV. And believe me I make haste getting thru MD to get to friendly CCW territory. Now my understanding is this:

1. Federal law permits you to transport a firearm as long as it is unloaded and locked in the trunk. And you are going to a place that you are legally allowed to carry.
    2. Do not stop.
    3. MD has peaceable journey laws.

I understand that some states like New York DO NOT have peaceable journey. Can state laws trump the federal law on transporting? I read this about MD on the NRA-ILA website:

MARYLAND--The unlicensed transportation of handguns in vehicles is prohibited, except for a variety of lawful purposes, including target shooting. A handgun must be transported unloaded and in an enclosed case or holster with a strap.
    I'm seriously still confused here. Is having it locked in the trunk legal or not? And is having the clip separate (say in the console) considered legal as long as its separate from the gun, and not necessarily in the trunk?

I'm sorry if this has been brought up before but I really am still not clear on carrying thru MD, and what to do if stopped my the MSP while I have a firearm unloaded in the trunk? I've even made it a habit to tuck my CCW permit out of view (it's normally right under my DL) when in MD as not to arouse suspicion. Can MSP police see that I have a CCW permit in PA when they run my DL?
    Last edited by Pro2A; November 16th, 2007 at 01:43 PM.

It is my understanding that as long as you have your weapon properly locked in the trunk and the amo in the glove compartment, your good and have never heard anyone disagree with that. This has also came from MD LEO friends of mine who might I add also disagrees with MD's stand on concealed carry.
    Life is too short, stop to smell the roses and don't let anyone take it away from you!

Assistant Administrator
    I hear ya . Really bugs me that that short stretch between here and VA is there at all - they should build a bridge over it, belonging to PA and VA!!

No option sadly but to disarm and lock gun away - plus too I think to be safe, unload mag' and keep ammo out of it. Then - drive legal and safe and don't stop!

I have been know when accessing WV, to head west in PA and drop into WV from the north - just because I refuse if I can to have to go into MD if avoidable. The inability to carry in MD is a travesty IMO.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I've traveled rt81 many times from NY to NC. I have licenses from NY, PA, FL, MA, NH, CT, ME. It's always annoyed me that for a 10-12 mile stretch of highway through MarryLand, I have to pull over, unload my sidearm and lock it in the trunk. Better "safe" than sorry.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I can't imagine that it's true that you "can't stop" while in MD, even while transporting the gun locked and separate from ammo. The federal law that protects you as you transport firearms through states where you are not licensed to have them, is the Firearms Owner Protection Act passed while Reagan was president (I think it was 1986). This was to protect people who travel with firearms from and to places where they can have them, across places where they can't.

There clearly are states that you might have to pass through and you are going to have to refuel your vehicle. Surely the law does not leave you to swing just because you were near empty as you were passing through Moronland--er, Maryland.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar

Interstate Commerce, Federal law wins

The whole point of the federal transport law is that it trumps individual state restrictions. The NRA-ILA does have a fairly detailed page on this, but you have the important points down: you need to be able to legally possess the weapon at both origin and destination, the gun needs to be unloaded and locked up in the states you are crossing, and you are better off if you make as few stops as possible (gas & food, basically).

Yeah, Maryland transport laws do suck. I know---I live here. :-(

Another strange MD law. Say You are a trucker and you pick up a trailer load of paint in New Jersey to deliver in Richmond, Va. With a 48 foot long trailer, you just go right down I-95. If you have a 53 foot long trailer, you must find a routh that bypasses Maryland. No Hazmat in 53 foot trailers in MD. Crazy!!
    Life is too short to be serious!

Iíve carried a sidearm concealed for over 30 years. I use to travel allot back in the 80ís before CCL was accepted between states.

And I can tell you if you are traveling through a state that does not accept your CCL, then if you have to get out of the car, leave your sidearm in the trunk unloaded.

Even Federal Parks accept that as a legal means of transport.

Sure we all want to follow the letter of the law, but it still boils down to if you keep your sidearm concealed, no one is going to know your carrying one. Especially if you donít exit your vehicle while traveling through that state.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I can't imagine that it's true that you "can't stop" while in MD, even while transporting the gun locked and separate from ammo.
    The Maryland law states the requirements and allowable stops, which are basically place of purchase, repair shop, range or home. Technically if you go to the range and stop at McDonalds (as an example) on your way home you are in violation of the law!

And just to add to the confusion in the DC area you have Route 295, the Baltimore - Washington Parkway, which belongs to the NPS...... Federal no carry laws technically apply there and I'll bet 95% of the people driving on the road never realize it, I know I didn't for a long time!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    The Maryland law states the requirements and allowable stops, which are basically place of purchase, repair shop, range or home. Technically if you go to the range and stop at McDonalds (as an example) on your way home you are in violation of the law!

And just to add to the confusion in the DC area you have Route 295, the Baltimore - Washington Parkway, which belongs to the NPS...... Federal no carry laws technically apply there and I'll bet 95% of the people driving on the road never realize it, I know I didn't for a long time!
    Glad I left that place FOR GOOD!!! Now I only have to deal with Illinois!!!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

I've actually gone as far as actually driving all the way around and spending the extra gas just because MD pi$$e$ me off. I don't want to give them any credence whatsoever. If I have the time and money I will drive around the extra 4 hours. Done it before. Will probably do it again.

Round about route...yeah, but it's worth it. Besides...everybody needs a good road trip every now and then.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    Glad I left that place FOR GOOD!!! Now I only have to deal with Illinois!!!
    Oh god.... that has to be worse then MD

Pro2A,
    Not near as bad as Maryland, stop at the state line to disarm, drive 4 hours (NO STOPPING) and then good to go in MO!!!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

I have Illinois and Wisconsin in my places of not to go. Relatives in both.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Myself I'd just drive around. Doesn't seem to far around, few 100 miles maybe. At least there is a way around in your case. In mine if I want to travel to the lower 48 I have no choice but to go through New York.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

~Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links