Any one heard of this/experienced this?

This is a discussion on Any one heard of this/experienced this? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Saw this on the news the other day. Not sure if this is the right place to post it, but think there is some indirect ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any one heard of this/experienced this?

Any one heard of this/experienced this?

Saw this on the news the other day. Not sure if this is the right place to post it, but think there is some indirect relevance to CC, or at least from a tactical perspective.

In a nutshell, it says that all newer verizon cell phones generate an audible alarm when calling 911. Not so great if trying to call covertly while something is going down.

Just wondered how much of it was media BS and how much is true.

Here's the link. If you go to the page, they have a video clip.:

http://www.kvue.com/news/local/stori...1f46e16ee.html

Verizon customer calls phone alarm 'dangerous'
    06:36 PM CST on Friday, November 9, 2007
    By CLARA TUMA
    KVUE News

An Austin woman who dialed 911 recently discovered what she said could be a fatal flaw in some new cell phones.

“I think it’s a danger to everyone,” she says.

Carol, who asked that her last name not be used for fear of making herself or her land a target for vandals, called for help recently when she arrived at some vacant property she owns in east Austin and found her security chain gone.

She grabbed her new Casio G’zOne phone from Verizon Wireless, which to her horror made an audible alarm when she called 911.

Fearing vandals were still on the property, she hung up and hid, then put her hand over the earpiece and dialed again to muffle the sounds.

“I was afraid the criminals were down the driveway and they would hear and they would know somebody was doing something and they would come out to stop me,” she said.

The alarm is not ear-splitting, but it is loud enough to be heard at least several yards away.

Turns out, Verizon said the 911 alarm is on all its new phones. Verizon said the audible tone is required by the Federal Communications Commission.

The FCC, however, said that’s not so.

Here’s what Verizon Spokeswoman Sheryl Sellaway said:

“The tone our customer experienced is our interpretation of Section 255 of the Telecommunications Act calling for a provider of telecommunications service to offer service that is accessible and usable by individuals with disabilities. The tone, indicating that 911 has been dialed, is one of several features designed to make wireless service is accessible and easy to use, especially for those with disabilities. Other features include a voice command key where customers can use their voice to dial by name or number; a voice echo feature so that a person who can't see can hear the number or letter if sending a text; read back text messages and speech output of signal strength, battery strength, missed calls, voicemail, roaming, time and date.”

Sellaway said Verizon is concerned that Carol is unhappy with her service. She said Carol’s is the first complaint about the tone.

But the FCC said Section 255 of the Telecommunications Code requires that phones let a caller know a 911 call is underway, but does not require an audible alarm.

“The Commission has not implemented any rules pursuant to Section 255 that would require the use of any tones concerning 911 calls,” a spokesman said.

The FCC said it has not had any complaints about 911 alarms.

Back in Austin, Carol said she worries about someone trying to unobtrusively get help -- maybe during a robbery or a kidnapping -- only to have the alarm alert criminals to their whereabouts.

She said she’s lucky, because vandals had already left her property when she called police back in September.

Now she said she carries an old beat-up phone with her phone on her property because though it’s falling apart, it will still call 911 -- quietly.

2. Remove Ads

I wonder if that feature can be turned off after purchasing the phone!!! Go reason to stay with my current carrier.
    Sailor
    USN
    PM Doric 342
    www.grandrogueencampment.com

"Heres to you and heres to me, and in case we ever disagree, the h___ with you, heres to me"

Quote Originally Posted by SailorWatson View Post
    I wonder if that feature can be turned off after purchasing the phone!!! Go reason to stay with my current carrier.
    Apparently it can't be disabled.

If the BG can hear the alarm from "several yards away" what do you think he's going to hear when you are talking (even in a whisper) to the 911 operator? If you are so scared that a BG is going to find you and kill you that you are calling 911 maybe you should arm yourself first...

Austin

i read an article that said new cellphones can be tapped even with them off
    I found the website: http://pcworld.about.com/news/Apr142005id120407.htm
    Last edited by Duisburg; November 18th, 2007 at 03:13 PM. Reason: found the site
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Quote Originally Posted by Duisburg View Post
    i read an article that said new cellphones can be tapped even with them off
    I found the website: http://pcworld.about.com/news/Apr142005id120407.htm
    They can be. The only way around it is to remove the battery from the phone.

Administrator
    Just another reason why I wont give another dime to Verizon.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    I just can't believe Verizon's moronic marketing stupidity!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Frag i have no idea if they actually do call . Verizon is my carrier but my razor is a couple of years old . The feature can be turned off if they do , now if Verizon will turn it off for you is another question . Myself i hack my own phones for the features i want be dammed what the carrier wants . This is not illegal , but does void the warranty from verizon, so you best be confident when you seem edit a phone since its easy to make a paperweight . I just started because i demanded direct transfer of images and ringtones between my computer and my phone ... wound up with soo much more including a nifty cellular modem that will access any dial up account to check email ect and over bluetooth if needed lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Just another reason why I wont give another dime to Verizon.
    I have Sprint for my personal and Verizon for my work cell. About 3 months ago I got huge bills for both, tlo the tune of $600 each. Apparently someone can tap your signal and download ringtones, songs, etc and it will be charged to your bill. I called Verizon and told them, these weren't my charges, look at my past bills, I don't download anything on my phone. They said I was still responsible for the bill. I called Sprint expecting the same response, not so they took the charges off my account. As for a phone that chimes when 911 is called, thank the Clintons for that.
    If you want a battle of the wit's, please come armed.

Ron Paul Revolution 2008!!!

NRA Member

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fragman View Post
    Apparently it can't be disabled.
    I have a simple Nokia phone that is several years old, and I'm happy with what it does for me, for the most part. (I'd like it to have more memory for text messages and contact names, but that's about it.)

I note that a lot of phones nowadays are equipped with GPS, which I fear will very soon be used to keep tabs on where people are with their phones. The companies will hype that the phone can help you locate a pizza joint or a post office, but I don't want people to be able to know where I'm calling them from -- period. I know that authorities can sort of triangulate a person's location as it is, but I don't want to, say, call in sick to work and have them say, "Um, Jeff, how come you're at the movies?" !

With the way people can scam phones and cause charges to be put on your bill, etc. (as reported here) isn't it amazing that we've built a whole telecommunications industry and system on such a house of cards, so subject to fraud?! It's ridiculous.

Note: when I clicked the link it said "page not found". Is this story verified?

If it can't be disabled, then I'd have to dial .40 in a threat, BG situation.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I don't have one. Cellphones don't work everywhere up here.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

The newer phones that have been released in the past year automatically kick gps in when 911 is called, for tracking reasons. Also the homeland security has requested a feature that can and will kill all cellphone signals nationwide at the trip of a switch for national security. Sounds far fetched but true.
    Carry in good health. Stay in good health by carrying!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Since I can't find a site that confirms this allegation about Verizon's new phones, and the link won't work (see above) can anyone confirm this story?

As it happens, coincidentally, someone on a disc golf website I go to posted a link to this very phone (!) tonight recommending it for disc golfers because it is water resistant. I responded with what I had read here but admitted that I had not confirmed the rumor.

Can anyone do so?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links