Times Union Center in Albany, NY

This is a discussion on Times Union Center in Albany, NY within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can anyone advise on the firearms policy for events/concerts held at the Times Union Center in Albany, NY? Is that a "restricted" area for a ...

Thread: Times Union Center in Albany, NY

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar

Can anyone advise on the firearms policy for events/concerts held at the Times Union Center in Albany, NY? Is that a "restricted" area for a NY CCW permit holder?
    Thanks,
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Is that the old "Knickerbocker Arena" in downtown? Gosh, that takes me back. I used to see shows there when I was in college.

Now, isn't it true that there is no such thing as a "NY" CCW permit? I mean, each county puts whatever restrictions it wants to on a permit. My old Suffolk County permit was strictly for the range and home premises, and was technically not permission to carry around town. Thus, there was no specific set of allowed/prohibited locations for carry...

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Now, isn't it true that there is no such thing as a "NY" CCW permit?

Honestly, I don't know (thus my inquiry). When I was a "New Yorker", I was a "real New Yorker"...I lived in the City. LOL! (Just kidding all you upstate folks...don't start throwing rocks at me.) My "permit" was one of those shiny gold shield-shaped permits. I'm asking for a friend who is not "internet-friendly". Truth be told, he is pretty much anti-technology period.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

I also went to college in Albany. Saw many of concerts there. Don't know their policy, may have to call to inquire. My good buddy is in the Albany PD, says that area has gotten real bad. I'll give him a call tomorrow. If I find out anything, I'll let you know.

My buddy is a bit of a hermit, complete with the "cabin in the woods". He is actually a retired cop who got really burnt out on the big city and on people in general. He is truly a good guy, but a bit removed from society. He loves his music, though, and he has decided to go see TSO in concert in Albany. He loves the CD's. I explained to him that, given his lifestyle, he will probably go into sensory overload at the concert, but he is very excited about it. He does have a permit to carry, but I don't know the details of his permit type, etc. I know he does not go anywhere without it. Can't say as I blame him.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

IN NY state(besides NYC) it is legal to carry at such events,but the TU's policy probably is against it.I went to an event there last year(when it was the pepsi)and they had security "wanding" people.With mayor Jennings being the anti that he is,and the TU paper's history,it wouldn't surprise me if they had high security and metal detectors.Carry at your own risk I guess.
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
    IN NY state(besides NYC) it is legal to carry at such events,but the TU's policy probably is against it.I went to an event there last year(when it was the pepsi)and they had security "wanding" people.With mayor Jennings being the anti that he is,and the TU paper's history,it wouldn't surprise me if they had high security and metal detectors.Carry at your own risk I guess.
    Thanks for the information. I've never been to a concert or sporting event where they wanded people. That must create a royal pain in the butt for getting people inside.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

We need to drum up some more membership in Albany! LOL! Anybody? Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

there are a couple of us around...my buddy Hunting Coyotes is a member ,but he's usually out in the woods as opposed to being on the computer.Where are you located...I shoot at the Watervliet r and g club and do IDPA at Iroquois r and g in Rotterdam,if you're interested.
    Bueler:"a friend of a friend saw him pass out at 31 flavors last night....""thank you Simone.""No problem what so ever."
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

Links