Mass Handgun Transport?

Mass Handgun Transport?

This is a discussion on Mass Handgun Transport? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have to travel from CT to NH tomorrow and obviously need to travel through the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts. I have permits for CT ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Mass Handgun Transport?

I have to travel from CT to NH tomorrow and obviously need to travel through the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts. I have permits for CT and NH, but not Mass.

Am I legally able to transport the weapon through Mass, or not? I tried reading the State Gun laws, but it is hard to decipher.

Thanks,

Mike

As far as I understand it you would need the weapon secured in the trunk. I live in MA, but am not completely familiar with those laws. I'm also not a lawyer or anything so don't take my understanding for gospel.

Take care,

nasm

Well,

I will be driving a Wrangler so there is no trunk. I suppose I could lock it in the console.

From what I read on Wikipedia, storing the firearms in the trunk is only a preference. Since you don't have a trunk, maybe you could just put it somewhere that would be inaccessible while driving?

One idea would be locking a chain around an already locked box that use two different keys. Keep one on your keyring (in your ignition) and maybe lock the other in the glove box (or tape it to the outside of your car, the door of the fuel tank). I think this could at least show you made a good faith effort to make it difficult to quickly get to the ammo.

Maybe you should consider buying your ammo in New Hampshire? At least then you'd only be traveling with guns and ammo 50% of the time.

\\ACB
    Springfield XD 40 Tactical, Mossberg 590a1 12 gauge, Springfield MC Operator 1911

I believe you're covered through the peaceable journey law. Keep your firearms, all of them, unloaded and locked in a case in the back of the Jeep. Keep the ammo out of that case and (to be extra safe) locked in a separate box/bag. I'm an unfortunate resident of the PRM and our laws are just off the wall. Keeping everything locked in a case out of reach should keep you out of trouble. Hope this helps!

Man,

I certainly wish that the national RTC law would leave committee and put to the members for a vote. Feinstein will never let that happen though.

I am heading up and back today to pick up my mother in law for the week. Not worth the hassle to stop at the Mass border and unload, lock, and then reverse the process when I hit the NH border.

Guess I will just go without today

And here I thought he was planning on transporting an armoury's worth of handguns.

Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    And here I thought he was planning on transporting an armoury's worth of handguns.
    ditto

lock it up in the back where you cant get at it in a case separate from ammo.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nasm View Post
    I live in MA
    I'm sorry

VIP Member
    Not being a resident of MA, you and the state "should" be governed by federal code in the matter. All your ammo and weapon can be in the same locked box, but I probably wouldn't even have an empty magazine seated in the mag well. Do not use the glove box or console, even for ammo.

Interstate transportation of firearms
    From the US Code TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 § 926A. Release date: 2004-08-06
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I live in Mass. Firearms must be unloaded and kept in a locked container. Ammo does not have to be locked up. Don't keep any ammo in the same container as the firearms. If you have a rifle in a locked case, and that case is in your trunk, and you also have a bag with ammo in your trunk, you are good. Same goes if its on the back seat, or any place else it the car. Also the statute says "locked container", so a bag with two zippers with a little pad lock holding the bag shut is legal. I do this with my pistols in a backpack made for laptops. The pistol goes in one compartment that I can lock with a little padlock and the ammo and other gear goes in the other compartments, and I am in compliance in the people's republic.

Federal law allows you transport a firearm thru any state as long as it is in a locked container and the ammo is separate from the firearm and it is to be used for a lawful purpose at the final destination, it also allows for you to keep the gun in a hotel room for protection as at the time it is your domicile.
    Lock the gun in a case and put the ammo in the back of the vehicle, MA wants you to notify the state police that you will be transporting thru their state with desc. of vehicle and other info. which only makes you a target.

Quote Originally Posted by gotammo View Post
    Lock the gun in a case and put the ammo in the back of the vehicle, MA wants you to notify the state police that you will be transporting thru their state with desc. of vehicle and other info. which only makes you a target.
    Unbelievable - another reason not to go to this place. Wonder if they want the color of my shirt & pants for that particular day too. Another place to scratch off for vacation time.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Without a MA carry permit, gun unloaded and either in a locked case, or case in the trunk.

NOTE that post-1994 highcap mags are forbidden in MA. For example if you have a gun that didn't exist until 1995 or later, it damned well better not have a mag over 10 rounds.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gotammo View Post
    MA wants you to notify the state police that you will be transporting thru their state with desc. of vehicle and other info. which only makes you a target.
    NOT true at all. MA State Police could care less. NO need (and not advised) to notify even if stopped for a MV violation. BTW, we don't pull people out of cars and demand to search them in MA on a simple MV infraction. [I hope he was intentionally being facetious, but that only confuses the readers.]

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah View Post
    NOTE that post-1994 highcap mags are forbidden in MA. For example if you have a gun that didn't exist until 1995 or later, it damned well better not have a mag over 10 rounds.
    This is ONLY true if you are staying in MA. FOPA (traveling THRU MA) allows you to transport anything that is legal for you to possess at both ends of your journey, regardless of any state laws to the contrary. e.g. If you are attending a match in MA, NO post 9/13/94 hi-cap mags allowed (nor are so-called AWs as was defined in expired Fed Law).
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links