Restricted Permits

This is a discussion on Restricted Permits within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is it possibile to get your local permit issurer to change your permit status from restricted to unrestricted? I applied for my permit last year ...

Thread: Restricted Permits

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar

Restricted Permits

Is it possibile to get your local permit issurer to change your permit status from restricted to unrestricted? I applied for my permit last year and recieved it around March of this year, and it is restricted to "Hunting and Target Shooting and Transporting a Wepon Therefor" now since I went through all the paperwork and paid all the fees and waited 11 weeks it seems like I should have a right to a CCW permit (you would think). I was thinking about writing my local county Judge (he is the one with the ultimate say, and is also the issuing officer) and polightly ask him to remove the restrictions from my permit what do you think would be the outcome of such letter? Also what should I say(how should I word it), to convince him that I want-need-would like to have a CCW permit. I have talked to other people in my county and they have said that if anyone asks while your carring to tell them you were target shooting earlier, now this seems feasable since it says "transporting a wepon therefor", but I would rather have a CCW permit that way theres no hassles if questioned.

2. Remove Ads

In my state I would have to re-apply and get a new one.fortunately and not that you want to hear it but $25 and 3wks is all it takes to get issued a ccw here.for you you are probably gonna have to start the process all over again.hope I'm wrong tho.

Surprised to hear you have a restricted permit in your area. Here in Albany co...and many of the metro areas in NYS, that is the norm and it is often very difficult to get restrictions removed. I received law enforcement training in defensive pistol along with NYS laws on force/deadly force. I highly recommend you do the same if you carry for self defense. Having this training will also be a big plus when you interview with the issuing judge to request removal of you restrictions. Be sure to write a good thorough letter stating why you need (not want) an unrestricted permit. And most of all, be respectful to the judge...demanding tones in a letter to a judge will not get you anywhere! Best of luck and remember we need to stick together in NYS to change the laws. Join the NRA, NYSRPA and SCOPE ...get involved.

The apathy in NYS among gun owners is sickening...use this slap in the face you received with having your rights restricted to get involved...we owe it to ourselves and our kids to maintain and take back our 2nd Amendment rights in NYS!

Assistant Administrator
    Hunting - welcome (since April to make first post!!! Not good enough!)

Bruce - your hoops and hurdles appall me - totally! My $25 and zero wait here in PA gives me my CCW (any handgun) for five years and transportation to and from range etc is a non issue. Restrictions!! Sheesh - the 2A seems halfways dead with your officialdom. :(

Anything to do specifically with hunting here is PA game commission, coupled with PA firearms code. Read - simple (relatively) and staightforward.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

All in all it cost me $130, had to wait 11 weeks, had to get 4 refrences to attest to my good character and they had to be checked out buy the sheffiffs dept also, had to take a 3 hour pistol saftey course. Warren county always issued CCW permits, but the judge we have now isn't a gun owner and dosn't understand. The restrictions came about because of some guy that was in a bar and was intoxicated and "showing" his pistol, he never took it out, just showed it and now that incident has ruiened it for all the rest of us.

New York is one of those states that isn't "shall issue", in other words it's a "shall not issue" state. I grew up in the Big Apple, and with the laws they have there I never even considered getting a CCW LIcense. Fortunately I have moved.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Thank God I'm out of NY.
    All those paranoid types about CCW.
    I ignored them for 35 years. Carried, no CCW gun not registered.
    A walking talking Felon to be except, nobody gave a damn, especially the cops.
    Stautes barred so I can say it and I know I wasn't alone in doing it.
    Bad laws make us all criminals.
    And when you do this you know the true meaning of "better judged by 12 than carried by 6"

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

In most counties in NY that issue "restricted permits", if you show cause for having CCW (not that you should have to!) they will issue you one.
    I am a small business owner, and I brought deposit reciepts with me to show the judge, and was able to recieve a CCW.

Glockinhand, first post since march???? You must do a lot of reading on here and not a lot of writing. Where in NY are you from? I live about a hour north of Albany. I realy don't have any "reason" for the CCW besides pertection of my wife and myself, I drive a new LT Silverado Z71, I may look like I have money, but I may have $15-$20 on me at any given point. I have a lot of friends and family that live in Albany, and some in realy bad area's. I feel much more secure when I carry when visiting. I just feel that it is my right to be armed and would like to do so leagly, but don't realy have a solid reason to give the judge besides personal pertection. I need some ideas guys, help me out. Thanks

I am about 2 hours west of albany.I agree with you that you shouldn't need a reason other then it's your right.
    unfortunately the judges are given the freedom to put whatever restrictions they see fit on your permit.

Links