Why Full-time CCW

Why Full-time CCW

This is a discussion on Why Full-time CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had my CCW for a few months now, did the WallyWorld tour and all after that I didn't carry but for short spurts. I ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar

Why Full-time CCW

I've had my CCW for a few months now, did the WallyWorld tour and all after that I didn't carry but for short spurts. I have determined that I will begin wearing full time whenever I can. I travel (air-travel)and do a lot of business in the DC area, nuff said. I've have a couple of questions and possibly some observations, none of which are meant to be critical or argumentative.
    There have been times where I really felt, for lack of a better word "silly" carrying a loaded condition 1 Colt Defender. It's seems that for most of the forum members your weapon is the first thing you reach for in the morning and the last thing you lay down at night. Is it the area you live in or have to travel through, the people you have to deal with, some experience you've had? I'm trying to get my bearing, but would really like some in site here. I'm a Vietnam combat vet, so I don't count myself among the sheep, but maybe instead of being a sheepdog I'm just still a pup when it comes to CCW.
    Beside being a LEO or some job that requires you to carry, why do you feel the need carry full-time?
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Administrator
    I guess the only true reason is that something will happen when you least expect it too. That being said, I dont carry as often as I should. The novelty of it all has long worn off, and it is a chore for me now. I still carry 97% of the time I'm out, but I'd rather not.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Boy Scout motto: Be Prepared. I guess it stuck with me?
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    There have been times where I really felt, for lack of a better word "silly" carrying a loaded condition 1 Colt Defender.
    Fair enough , i just have to ask you when the last time you felt " silly " enough about the spare tire your car has enough to take it out and leave it at home ? Ill also point out that your weapon is your mind and mindset , your handgun is merely a tool to project the power of your weapon beyond what the cavemen could .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

We know that violent assualt can happen anywhere, anytime, and without warning. It will come upon us quickly and brutally. It doesn't matter whether we are at home in a "nice" neighborhood or standing at the ATM maching after dark. We have chosen to be ready, not only when we perceive the threat level is higher than normal, but all the time. I don't disarm when I come home; I keep wearing it until bedtime. When I get dressed, the gun goes on the belt. It is a lifestyle choice.

That said, you're likely to hear from a wide variety of those in this forum community who don't carry full time.

I've been carrying a gun legally for over twenty years.

I was a Boy Scout once, maybe that's why I like to be prepared. I do not know when I will need my gun, if I did I could manage to not be there when the gun is going to be needed.

I carry 24/7 and have had two "Armed Encounters".

Biker

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornerangerboogie View Post
    Beside being a LEO or some job that requires you to carry, why do you feel the need carry full-time?
    ...because I've never been able to get my crystal ball working just right, so that I'll know WHEN I'll need a gun.

Same reason I buy lottery tickets....

Although it's possible you may need it, the probability is that you will not. If you've never been close to such an event since you left the military, if you haven't been mugged or threatened with lethal force, if you don't know someone who has been, then you have 100% experience in not needing it -- so it feels silly. We often encounter this same visceral response from non-carriers; they feel that they (and we) just don't need it.

Well, until something goes down, we don't need it. Just tell me when the waste matter will hit the fan, and I'll stay unarmed until then.
    I went to buy some camouflage pants, but I couldn't find any.

Senior Moderator
    I didn't use to carry all the time until I became a part time Deputy. In the years that I've been doing that and actually dealing with the lower echelons of society that only come out at night,having arrested some and put them in jail for awhile, I've ticked enough of them off that I never ever go anywhere without a gun.

It really hit home when I was at Walmart and got made by a guy that had just got out of the Penitentiary where his home was for several years. He lost his house and his family and since I was the one that "caused it," by arresting him he naturally blamed it on me and started getting verbal. I really thought that we were going to mix it up. It dawned on me that if he wanted to shoot me or even pull a knife on me I would have been at a serious disadvantage since I was unarmed.

That'll never happen again.

Once you see some of the riff raff out there that preys on people because they are too lazy to get a job, it just reinforces the concept that the world really is getting crazier by the day.

Wouldn't you feel like an idiot if you weren't carrying that one time that needed it? If you lived to think about it that is....
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I live in a great nieghborhood, in a great area (Gainesville...'The Home of the Gators!)...stuff still happens.
    Anyone reading or watching the news often hears..."I can't believe it happened in our neighborhood." "This is such a great part of town, I can't believe this robbery attempt right here!"

The scumbags roam the streets and parking lots, just looking for victims...I refuse to be one.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I'm with the group that says you never know when "something" is going to happen. My job is in the 911 center and I get the "privilege" to know about all the icky stuff that happens in town that never makes the newspaper or evening news. There's a lot of it.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Is it the area you live in or have to travel through, the people you have to deal with, some experience you've had?
    why do you feel the need carry full-time?
    Many reasons:

No innocent bystanders who were random victims of crime or murder thought it would happen to them on the day it did. If they had expected it, they would have stayed home that day.

Virginia Tech: None of those students or faculty expected to die that day.

Cheshire, CT: The doctor didn't expect his home to be broken into that night, and he didn't expect his family to be raped and murdered.

I live in a "good" neighborhood. However, in the last 6 weeks:
    The gas station I go to sometimes on the way to work was the scene of a Saturday morning carjacking... end result, 2 dead;
    A hospital in a "good" part of town, 10 minutes from my home, was the scene of a carjacking in broad daylight, around noon;
    My coworker's brother was robbed at gunpoint 10 minutes from my home. It was in another hospital's parking lot, also in a "good" part of town, in broad daylight. One of the two gangsters held a gun to his head.

The first indication I'll have of a home invasion is when my front door gets kicked in.

I lived in condition white for so long, I feel I've used up all my grace period.

I watch the news. Bad things happen to good people. It's only a matter of time before trouble comes to me. I intend to be ready, if at all possible.

I live 30 minutes from the U.S.'s most dangerous city. (Well, I heard today St. Louis dropped to 2nd most dangerous city, compliments of Detroit.) Crooks use highways. There is no safe place.

I could go on and on... but I'd have to say Virginia Tech got my attention the most. All the other situations only reinforced how stupid I had been to be in condition white all these years. I'm not going back. I'll be armed for the rest of my life. I was fortunate to have avoided crime up to this point, but I cannot rely on luck or circumstances any longer. I finally accepted the world as it is, not as I wanted it to be.

If you think you feel silly carrying a colt defender think how silly you'll feel when that thing that's never going to happen happens and you don't have your colt defender.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    If I knew for a fact that I would come home everyday without incident, I would see no reason to carry my pistol everyday. Unfortunately, I don't have that ability to see the future, so the only thing I can do is put on my gun, and pray that it stays there from the time I leave the house to the time I come home.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

No one has an odd-on chance of winning the lottery, but someone wins

You'll probably never need your carry weapon, but somewhere, someone will need one.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links