Do You Conceal Your Extra Mags Too? - Page 3

Do You Conceal Your Extra Mags Too?

This is a discussion on Do You Conceal Your Extra Mags Too? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by walvord OPFOR - That is not what I was saying. SIXTO - Yes, that is what I was saying. If the agent ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by walvord View Post
    OPFOR - That is not what I was saying. SIXTO - Yes, that is what I was saying. If the agent had been off of the compound, noone would have known he is an agent and someone might be inclined to get the drop on him if they know he's carrying. It was just an observation. They can carry anywhere they want to and should - they are the FBI after all.
    OK, gotcha - sorry I misinterpreted.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by monky View Post
    Mine are concealed in a special made back pack of mine Lara Flynt style.. they deploy automatically... it's rather ingenious.
    Is that anything like the Lara Croft (Tomb Raider) backpack?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I've never really carried xtra mags. I always figured 1 to be enough or get outa dodge. Also too cumbersome to carry xtra stuff on a daily basis. I wonder OVERALL how many people carry xtra's at all or was I just the odd man out (guess that would b another thread). The answer to concealing yer xtra's is a no brainer but legally it's probably a grey zone

Ron
    When I carry an extra mag, which frankly I rarely do because I believe that if eleven rounds isn't enough I am in serious trouble, I will always carry it concealed.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by snub41 View Post
    I've never really carried xtra mags. I always figured 1 to be enough or get outa dodge. Also too cumbersome to carry xtra stuff on a daily basis. I wonder OVERALL how many people carry xtra's at all or was I just the odd man out (guess that would b another thread). The answer to concealing yer xtra's is a no brainer but legally it's probably a grey zone
    Any failures I've had with autoloaders have usually been magazine problems. For this reason mainly, I carry 1 extra magazine with my bottom feeders just in case. And of course it's carried concealed.
    I seldom carry reloads for revolvers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    When I carry an extra mag, which frankly I rarely do because I believe that if eleven rounds isn't enough I am in serious trouble, I will always carry it concealed.

I thought that too, but 12 with my springer . Until a thread about carrying spare mags came up here. I now carry a spare, not for the extra rounds mainly, because I don't think a self defense situation will need more than that many rounds, but for magazine failure. I've not had it happen with my personal weapons, but I've had a few magazines FTF/FTE on me with service weapons. Granted they are more abused, the ability for it to happen is still there.

Dave

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by Defensor View Post
    I thought that too, but 12 with my springer . Until a thread about carrying spare mags came up here. I now carry a spare, not for the extra rounds mainly, because I don't think a self defense situation will need more than that many rounds, but for magazine failure. I've not had it happen with my personal weapons, but I've had a few magazines FTF/FTE on me with service weapons. Granted they are more abused, the ability for it to happen is still there.

Dave
    Good point, Dave. Never thought of it that way. I will have to reconsider my original thinking on this issue.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

why conceal the gun if you are going to expose the extra mags that say I have a gun.

My weapon is concealed and so are my reloads.

If carrying a semi-auto, I use belt mag pouches or pocket carry. I have dual-mag OWB pouches and single-mag IWB. I have a DeSantis MagPacker for pocket-carrying a single mag.

When I carry a revolver, I pocket-carry a speed loader.

For as long as I've carried a firearm, military and otherwise, I've never gone without at least one reload. Murphy rules. Things can, and will, go wrong, at the worst possible moment. It costs me nothing to carry a spare mag or speed loader, and might make a difference when it really counts.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Of course. What would be the point in concealing the gun if I have bandoliers draped across my chest?
    +1 and duh

Its unanimous so far so let me throw a curve ball into the mix.

Do those who carry need to go to the same extent to conceal the mags as they do with their firearms?

I would answer NOT NECESSARILY. It would be very difficult to place a firearm in a holster and then set it in your grocery cart at the supermarket and expect anyone to NOT know what it is?

However, can anyone imagine magazines, especially a 6 or 7 round single stack mag, being placed in a generic looking mag holder sitting in a grocery cart? How many people do you think would know it was a magazine?

My point is this, if you carry a single extra mag and have a mag holder that resembles a cell phone case then I think you could wear it OWB just like millions of people carry their cell phone without going to great lengths to cover it up.

I wouldn't carry a double mag pouch or an open top mag pouch out in the open, those would have to be concealed but I wouldn't worry to much about an incognito mag pouch that was visible to the public.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEFan View Post
    Do those who carry need to go to the same extent to conceal the mags as they do with their firearms?

I would answer NOT NECESSARILY.
    My reason for concealing the spare magazine (and everything else) is tactical, not legal. Probably the same with most other repliers in this thread.

Another example: maybe one legally carries at work, but the corporate policy is "no firearms" (in some states corporate policy banning firearms does not carry force of law). Displaying a magazine could seriously alter one's career path.

I donno, are hollow points conversaton starters (chick magnets)?

Of course.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I carry my spare mag in my back pocket. It's a slim single stack so you can't see what it is, and even then the shirt is long enought to cover it, so it's concealed. I can't imagine carrying it openly.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links