Chambered, or not? - Page 5

Chambered, or not?

This is a discussion on Chambered, or not? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; here we go again I always carry chambered and topped off. anyone who carries with an empty chamber is suffering either (depending on their "reason" ...

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Chambered, or not?

here we go again

I always carry chambered and topped off.

anyone who carries with an empty chamber is suffering either (depending on their "reason" for not carrying loaded) from poor mindset, an irrational fear of the weapon, or stupidity (and I don't want to hear anything about the Israelis...carrying a gun with an empty chamber is dumb no matter who you are).
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I always carry with one in the chamber. I will tell you though that when I first started carrying, it took me about 6 months to get to that stage. Now, I wouldn't think of doing it any other way.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    I carry 12 + 1 in my XD .40, wouldn't have it any other way. Why carry if it isn't ready to use immediately?

I went with the XD because of its point-and-shoot simplicity, no manual safeties to fumble with in a stressful situation.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Always.

Do you guys carry with a round in the chamber?
    Of course I do. If I wasn't going to carry my gun in the manner it was designed to be carried, with a round in the chamber, why wouldn't I just carry a rock or a hammer?
    In a situation where you need to defend yourself, you will be doing well to actually have time to draw and get the gun into action. Why would I want to hamstring myself by needing to take an extra half to full second to chamber a round before I can use my gun? Chances are, while you are trying to chamber that round in the panic of the situation, with your fine motor skills now non-existent do to the adrenalin dump, you will be killed before you can chamber the round and fire.

If you don't feel comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber, I would respectfully encourage you to carry a revolver so you can keep the chamber directly under the hammer empty.

Modern semi auto firearms are designed to be carried safely with a round chambered. Do carry with out a round chambered is to surrender to an irrational fear.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Administrator

When you are about to be violently attacked AKA having your life in immediate deadly peril -
    That is NOT the best time to experience a possible Failure To Feed.
    & that should be reason enough to keep a round chambered.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Talking

Always, If you can't trust the gun to be safe with a chambered load, DON'T carry it.
    Carry in good health. Stay in good health by carrying!

Absolutely chambered, every one of them, safety off on my carry (double action, firing pin disengaged/blocked with hammer down, quality holster).

Milliseconds count in an emergency.

Condition 0 - A round is in the chamber, hammer is cocked, and the safety is off.

Condition 1 - Also known as "cocked and locked," means a round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the manual thumb safety on the side of the frame is applied.

Condition 2 - A round is in the chamber and the hammer is down.

Condition 3 - The chamber is empty and hammer is down with a charged magazine in the gun.

Condition 4 - The chamber is empty, hammer is down and no magazine is in the gun.

Condition 1 for me.

Racking the slide or cocking the hammer to make a point is Hollywood garbage. You won't have time for that and if I point a weapon at someone I intend to kill them, not scare them.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Distinguished Member
    No, unless it has a manual safety. I'm too much of a newbie to trust myself. I know all the reasons (and rightly so) to have one in the chamber but just not confident enough in my carrying to go there...yet.

ps. Kenpo, thank you for your judicial, thoughtful, and objective insight as to why we should have one in the chamber. Up till now I didn't know that I was irrational, fearful, and stupid. Here we go again...

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    (and I don't want to hear anything about the Israelis...carrying a gun with an empty chamber is dumb no matter who you are).
    My understanding for the reason behind the israelis doing this was that originally, when their army was formed, they were armed with a load of dated, surplus weapons. Essentially the best they could afford or get at the time. Due to the questionable safety of the mechanics of these 'junkers', they carried unchambered. I don't think it is a practice they are continuing to do today.

Of course, I could be way off mark, but thats what I heard somewhere.

Your modern, well maintained firearms do not have this issue. They are made to be carried chambered. Thats how they are supposed to be carried and thats how I always carry.

Though it is interesting that the Glock Owners Manual advises that civilians carry their gun unchambered. Maybe LEO and military get 'special' Glocks?

All that said. No-one here has any right to TELL someone HOW to carry. All we can do is give advice.

It would certainly burn me for some internet expert to tell me I was irrational or stupid. That stuff just isn't necessary. and really, it undermines the purpose of this forum. We're here to HELP, not demean the newbies. Nearly everyone who chooses to start off carrying condition 3 eventually moves on to condition 2 or 1. They are moving in the right direction. Anything that gets them to start carrying is good in my book. And someone who err's on the side of safety is much preferable to the alternative of someone who err's on the dangerous side. Makes us all look better.
    Last edited by Fragman; December 1st, 2007 at 01:22 PM.

A round in the chamber is well advised. If the need arose, you may not have enough time to draw, rack and shoot with any accuracy. One less thing to do and at times just drawing is cutting it close in a stressful situation.

Is this a trick question?

Always, as if confronted by a BG you will most likely not have time to rack a slide.
    Just my thoughts! Be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe R View Post
    Is this a trick question?
    Yes.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links