Out of State Carry, a Diary (LONG)

This is a discussion on Out of State Carry, a Diary (LONG) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am licensed in OK. I flew to MI for Thanksgiving and my Brothers wedding. Please feel free to comment on whatever. I am in ...

Thread: Out of State Carry, a Diary (LONG)

Out of State Carry, a Diary (LONG)

I am licensed in OK.
    I flew to MI for Thanksgiving and my Brothers wedding.

Please feel free to comment on whatever. I am in MI for 2 weeks and will give a running diolog of my experiences.

Please ingor spelling and grammer, this is a diary, not an english contest!! LOL

DAY 1 17NOV07 @ 0200hrs: I woke up groogy, thankfuly I hit the sack at 2100hrs. the night prior and the kid slept the night through. I roll out of bed, slap on my blue jeans and my carry rig. I do the morning gig and just pruior to hitting the road I disarm and pack my weapon according to TSA SOP.

I arrive at the OKC air port and check my weapons without a proplem. The agent didnt even inspect the weapons to see if they are unloaded, she just took my word!

0600hrs. the plane leaves OKC and at about 0900hrs it lands in Detroit. I go to my parents house and re-holster my weapon and spare ammo.

1800hrs. the bacholer party kicks off. My uncle comes and gives me a hug. He spots the weapon with his hand during the hug and calls me to the other room. I show him both of the weapons I brought and we have a lively discussion about handguns. He is a huge gun nut and was totally cool about me me carrying, heck he is the one who taught me how to shoot when I was a tike.

We both decide that it is time to start drinking and I disarm and lock up my weapons. I go bar hopping unarmed.

One of the party members gets into a confrontation with a bouncer. I verbaly end the confrontation and the bouncer is cool. I latter thank the bouncer for his professionalism.

One of the drunken party members chanllengers me to a fight, again I verbally avoid fighting with my witty charm.

18NOV07 @ 1230hrs. I wake up. Zero hangover, as I stayed sober the nght berfore, although I did have a mild beer buz. I rearm, plus extra ammo.

After lunch time my old man starts talking about weapons. I unholster and unload my weapon for his inspection. He is cool with weapons but surpised that I carry a .45 and comments that it is to large to carry. We have a friendly disagreement and I reload and reholster my weapon.

Later that night I lockup my weapon and have a few beers.

19NOV07 @ 0930. I wake up, rearm, and hang with the family. My father and I stop at the tuxedo place for a last fitting. I disarm in the truck just prior to heading in the building, I dont want the guy measuring me to freaking out that i am wearing a sidearm. He spots the holster during the measuring and becomes very silent during the reat of our incounter. We go home and I rearm.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

2. Remove Ads

Glad to hear you where able to avoid confrontation. I beleive that since we carry we need to excercise cool headedness even when unarmed. Its a shame how quickly some jerk can ruin a great night out with your friends you havent seen in who knows how long. Hopefully the rest of your visit to our great state of MI will be pleasant, and never mind that whole ranking of Detroit being the most dangerous city in the US. I think its a conspiracy. Oh, and enjoy this beautiful weather we are having. Stay safe!

Quote Originally Posted by stlwrkr View Post
    Glad to hear you where able to avoid confrontation. I beleive that since we carry we need to excercise cool headedness even when unarmed. Its a shame how quickly some jerk can ruin a great night out with your friends you havent seen in who knows how long. Hopefully the rest of your visit to our great state of MI will be pleasant, and never mind that whole ranking of Detroit being the most dangerous city in the US. I think its a conspiracy. Oh, and enjoy this beautiful weather we are having. Stay safe!
    It is great to hear from some one from Detroit.
    I hope you have a great Thanksgiving.
    P.S.
    I love the weather!!!!!!!
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

sounds like you had a good time.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I hope your stay in our state is enjoyable....there are many ccw friendly people here.
    It is undeniable that liquid courage can ruin a night....glad it didn't alter yours. I would tend to disagree with your father also...45acp is the perfect caliber for me too...
    Hope you have a great holiday....go Lions
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

welcome to mich. enjoy your stay and have a happy hoilday.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

VIP Member
    Geez, you had more happen in 2 days concerning carrying and "almost brawling" than I've had all year. Can't wait to hear the rest of the adventure. I'm white knuckled.
    Have fun and stay safe.

Lead Moderator
    Welcome to MI. Enjoy your stay.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I happen to be in Northville MI now. Good to hear of the no-hassle at DTW, because I might arrive that way in the future.

Glad you had a good time in the "D". Detroit is now labeled the USA's most violent city.

Welcome to the rust belt. Too bad you were not able to see the nice part of the state (north). Glad everything worked to your favor.
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

20NOV07 @ 1100hrs. I wake up; man this sleeping in thing is great! I go to rearm and do my normally uneventful weapon check. I go through all the motions: unload weapon, check barrel for obstructions, check the safety, and here is wear I notice the problem. My weapon is a Taurus PT 145 Millennium Pro. The thumb safety works just fine, but the Taurus Security System will not engage. I field strip the weapon and inspect it to the best of my ability, but donít notice any thing out of place. I reassemble the weapon but the Taurus Security System still will not work. I test the weapon again and the thumb safety is working great so I figure I am okay for carry. I reload the weapon and holster it.

What do you all think about the Taurus Security System? Am I okay with carrying the weapon? After all, I never use the Taurus Security System, but testing it as always been part of my daily check. The weapon appears to be in perfect working order beside that.

I am going to have to schedule an out of state trip to the range to test fire the weapon to be sure everything else is okay. Where can I shoot here in the metro Detroit area?
    Join the NRA!

Sounds like a couple of my younger buddies. I wouldn't disarm or drink in Detroit.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

20NVO@1800hrs. My Dad and I go back to the tux shop to pick up our stuff. This time I go into the store armed, as I am not going to be messured and dont have to worry about freaking anybody out. I try on my tux and leave my weapon in the drssing room. I lay the weapon and spare mags on the floor and cover them with my sweater that I was wearing.

I wonder for a monet if leaving my weapon breifly unattended for a moment is a good idea or not, but decide that I dont have much of a choice.

I exit the fitting room for the clerks inspection. I stand between the clerk and the fitting room door and make sure the door is always in at least perphial vision and that there is never an obsticle between me and the door.

The clerk gives me his approval and I go back into the fitting room, get back on my street clothes and rearm.

2100hrs. @ 0900hrs. I wake up, check my weapon (dang taurus security system hasnt magiclly fixed it self yet!), dress and rearm.

I spend the day tooling around town: hair cut, gift shopping, run errands for my mother. I am armed all day without a hitch.

Evening time is rolling around and I will sadly have to disarm soon. I am headed to my brothers wedding rehearsel and I cant carry in the church. After the rehearsel we are headed to the bar for a few drinks, and I dont carry when drinking. i will however bring a pocket knfe with me.

At least the law cant take away my martial arts training.
    Join the NRA!

Links