Defensive Carry banner

Crime and inflation - reflections

2K views 25 replies 22 participants last post by  JEC 
#1 ·
There is not too much doubt that recessionary trends are here - sub-primes, repo's of homes, gas prices .. a long list. Looks like too it is gonna be around a good while yet - no real end in sight with Dollar weakening so much.

IMO anyone who thinks realistically crime will drop again, ever - is probably living in a self-generated Utopia. The availability of guns for criminals - unstoppable despite the whining of the anti's - will mean more and more we will see crooks looking for the easy option to satisfy their greed.

Drugs too will still be ''hard currency'' and not going to disappear. Amazing - folks who are near penniless will still try and feed their habit - but that requires funding - theft is the obvious solution and that can be linked with attacks - ergo, even more crime.

What might that mean for us? - several things but above all I suspect, an ever present need to take carry (even more) seriously - ''anytime - any place" ... as Janq might put it! Plus too - have a plan - well, several plans ..... keep ammo stocks sensible and have a means of weathering out spells of hardship.

I am not normally a doomsday protagonist - and still am not in full but - see what is around us and for sure, to put it simplistically - things ain't gonna get any ways better, any time soon.

So - continue to watch that six - but be prepared to do it even better over coming months.

See less See more
#3 ·
Good point P95Carry. I have been thinking along the same lines, but with a slightly different angle.

Here in the Atlanta area, we have a large population of Hispanic immigrants who work mainly in the construction and landscaping industry. With the housing market flat and the drought seriously impacting the landscaping business, a large percentage of the Hispanic work force is no longer generating income.

I can see it in the increased numbers of people hanging out at the day labor pick up spots.

I don't think there is another area of the country where that many laborers can find work in their chosen profession and I don't think they will go back to their home countries.

I expect to see an increase in crime, especially in areas densely populated by out-of-work Hispanics.

#5 ·
Unfortunately, there are times when I cannot carry. It worries me. Crime is going to continue to grow. Even though gasoline is not a shortage but going up in price rapidly. If it were up to those who want to ban guns I wouldn't be able to carry as I do so now with restrictions. The drug addicts are the repeat offenders where i live. Usually for thefts, burglary, and possession.

George Orwell was definitely onto something when he penned 1984

#6 ·
What might that mean for us? - several things but above all I suspect, an ever present need to take carry (even more) seriously - ''anytime - any place" ... as Janq might put it! Plus too - have a plan - well, several plans ..... keep ammo stocks sensible and have a means of weathering out spells of hardship.

So - continue to watch that six - but be prepared to do it even better over coming months.
Yes, sir! Agree 100%!

Ahhh, job security....

Really though, I've noticed that overall crime is dropping, however the worse element of society is getting worse and more violent.
Ihe WSJ article Saturday indicated Home Invasions (not separately tracked or reported by FBI or many locals) fell into a class of crimes that is up 13%!

#11 ·
Ihe WSJ article Saturday indicated Home Invasions (not separately tracked or reported by FBI or many locals) fell into a class of crimes that is up 13%!
That falls under my "certain element". Largely the increase in home invasions is dirt ball vs. dirt ball. Drug dealers settiing scores or stealing each others stashes. I'm not saying innocent people are not victims in this, I know there are cases of this. I am saying that a large percentage of the increase the victim isnt so innocent as they might seem.

#7 · (Edited)
Great post p95. Furthermore i'd like to point out that while there maybe no end in sight for us, this does not mean that we cannot make a difference for the next generation; thus we still have an important purpose. So I hope everyone is keeping thier heads up, and hearts full because there are still good people out there, and we are making a positive deifference, oh yea and Good triumphs over Evil every time. Has forever, and I don't anticipate that will change, but make sure your ammo is plenty, as p95 said, and that your weapons are in good order.

#8 ·
Really though, I've noticed that overall crime is dropping, however the worse element of society is getting worse and more violent.
The perps are getting younger and more vicious.

It has been said that we are only a few missed meals from anarchy, and P95 is right to lay up a few basics for any disaster.

#10 ·
Haven't seem a significant increase in theft yet up here. Although I don't doubt it will increase as more people get desperate ,lose jobs, ect. Prudent planning is needed now, before things get bad. If they don't , at least you are well stocked anyway.

#14 ·
P95 - Good thread and something I have thought about for some time. Pray that the SCOTUS rules correctly, pray lots, hope Hillary doesn't have her hand on the Bible/Koran on Jan 20, 2009, and have a good bit of stock on hand ( and I don't mean cattle).

#16 ·
True Thread!!!.

Chris, You have no idea how right on you are about this. I was born and raised in Philly and have watched the violence grow there for over 50yrs,it`s still growing,and won`t end anytime soon. I have now resided in Orlando for 34yrs and guess what?,here it is again!!!. Same stuff,same socio-economic class and it`s the result of at least 60yrs of the same liberal "It`s not your fault" left wing dribble that society has been fed for all these years. I was taught Personal Responsibility,"I" was responsibile for my own actions and if "I" messed up then "I" had to take the punishment. Not so today!!. It seems that a certain segment of our population thinks that "Society" is responsible for thier actions and they are not to be held accountable=BULL****.
All this does still bother me and I hope I`ve not taken up your space with my ranting. Please always carry Safe. Thanks, hal

#26 ·
Chris,
Here is a little something I came across from a guy who will tell it like it is.

"They're standing on the corner and they can't speak English. I can't even talk the way these people talk:
Why you ain't,
Where you is,
What he drive,
Where he stay,
Where he work,
Who you be...

And I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk.

And then I heard the father talk.

Everybody knows it's important to speak English

except these knuckleheads. You can't be a doctor

with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth.

In fact you will never get any kind of job making a decent living. People marched and were hit in the face with rocks to get an education, and now we've got these knuckleheads walking around.

The lower economic people are not holding up their end in this deal.

These people are not parenting. They are buying things for kids. $500 sneakers for what ? ?

And they won't spend $200 for Hooked on Phonics.

I am talking about these people who cry when their son is standing there in an orange suit.

Where were you when he was 2 ? ?

Where were you when he was 12 ? ?

Where were you when he was 18 and how come you didn't know that he had a pistol ? ?

And where is the father ? ? Or who is his father ?

People putting their clothes on backward:
Isn't that a sign of something gone wrong?

People with their hats on backward, pants down around the crack, isn't that a sign of something ?

Or are you waiting for Jesus to pull his pants up ?

Isn't it a sign of something when she has her dress all the way up and got all type of needles [piercing] going through her body?

What part of Africa did this come from??

We are not Africans. Those people are not Africans; they don't know a thing about Africa .

With names like Shaniqua, Taliqua and Mohammed and all of that crap, and all of them are in jail.

Brown or black versus the Board of Education is no longer the white person's problem.

We have got to take the neighborhood back.

People used to be ashamed. Today a woman has eight children with eight different 'husbands' -- or men or whatever you call them now.

We have millionaire football players who cannot read.

We have million-dollar basketball players who can't write two paragraphs. We, as black folks have to do a better job. Someone working at Wal-Mart with seven kids, you are hurting us.

We have to start holding each other to a higher standard.

We cannot blame the white people any longer."

Dr. William Henry "Bill" Cosby, Jr., Ed.D.

Jack

#21 ·
I dont believe that inflation or a poor economy will turn honest hard WORKING folks to crime. My parents used to tell me how during the depression folks went door to door asking to chop wood or do odd jobs for a meal. People that are used to working for what they have will keep working.
Now the folks that are used to having things handed to them in the form of government handouts or whatever will still expect things to be theirs for the taking. If you have always had things given to you you will never understand its value.

Michael

#23 ·
Easy.

All too often, libeals make unsubstantiated claims of fearful situations. Then they blame someone else instead of taking responsibility for keeping clean and safe the small domain over which they ought to have contol.

#25 ·
I've an observation to share as well. It's a given, when the economy begins to fall, crime rises.
We shooters and CCW carriers tend to be self supporting and stand with our back to government. We take care of ourselves and don't need a low life politician messing up our lives.
BUT; that may be part of the problem; we need to let those tongue twisted, bed hoping, go where the money is, for no better word - politicians, know that people need to pay for their crimes.
Felony criminals need to know they are going to hard time. Real hard time, not in a prison with, televisions and airconditioning. Criminals don't have the right to better health care than us, etc, etc.
Those politicians made life easy for criminals and they can make it bad if we law abiding people demand it. Politicians are bobble head dolls who will go in the direction of least restance.
Don't be afraid to let those guys know what you be requiring from them whhile they are in office and if they want to be re elected.
Stand up to them, and make them call you back to let you know how they feel.
I've said enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.