Hot Weather Carry or TEXAS TOASTIN'!

This is a discussion on Hot Weather Carry or TEXAS TOASTIN'! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have just returned from two weeks or thereabouts traveling through Texas to pick up the new puppy and enjoy our first real vacation in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot Weather Carry or TEXAS TOASTIN'!

Red face Hot Weather Carry or TEXAS TOASTIN'!

I have just returned from two weeks or thereabouts traveling through Texas to pick up the new puppy and enjoy our first real vacation in years. Since reciprocity is in full effect from Florida to Texas and back in every state through which we drove, I was determined to be armed at all times. I put together my standard "carry bag" a small case with 150 rds of ammo in boxes, all my Glock 40 mags fully loaded (72 rds ready to launch) and a group of holsters. I packed my 511 tactical pants and two vests and a number of different holsters. For the initial leg, I was ever faithful with 511 tropicals, a lightweight vest and a Blade Tec IWB in which to carry my Glock M27 40. This lasted up into the first overnight stay at the in-laws place in Lake City Florida. It was pretty hot and humid all the way from Miami to pop's place.

Then we set off on I-10 west. When we hit Alabama, it got a bit worse. But by the time the alternator went bad in Alexandria Louisiana, it was SMOKIN' HOT! My word, I'd walk the adult dog in the pre-dawn moments and be sweating profusely by the time I got back into the hotel room (BEST WESTERN IS EXCELLENT IF YOU HAVE PETS!). By the time the van was fixed on warranty at a dealer, we headed up into Texas and through the Piney Woods and into the Hill Country where we picked up the pup and went sightseeing over 4th of July on thru the 11th. I have to confess, I swapped the vest and IWB to a belly bag and stayed with that for the entire trip. It held spare hi-cap M22 mag, SpyderCo knife and a SureFire 6P light.

Yup, it well...FELT conspicious. But I think that wearing a VEST in that heat and humidity would have been far worse. If I'd needed to draw, it would have been excruciatingly slow, but hopefully, being in condition yellow, I'd be able to see the threat a bit in advance and get set. I only had ONE time when the hairs on my neck stood up and that was when a carload of punks passed us full of "salty lookin' dudes" (as Dirty Harry once said) with full tatts and some evil looks. But even if they were predators, they didn't stay behind us long. I wonder if my window stickers were a factor?

"GLOCK, Sig Sauer, NRA Instructor, NRA Life Member, etc....." LOL
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

While you were cavorting, I was helping someone move.

It's definitely a challenge to tote a full size gun around here for much of the year.

Talking Cavorting?

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    While you were cavorting, I was helping someone move.
    First of all, what's WRONG with "cavorting?"

Next, in addition to "cavorting" I was adding to the economic growth of the great state of Texas. Explored Piney Woods and Hill Country. Next trip we'll head up north and maybe a little farther west but still in Texas, although the wife does want to see Roswell (she's a real Sci-Fi fan--I got her hooked on The X-Files when we first got married) and Santa Fe. I want to see the Fort Worth Stockyards and see if we can get a better steak than we found at The Little Red Barn in San Antonio, which would be hard to do.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Administrator

Thumbs up Welcome Back Home Soldier!

Exsoldier was not cavorting.
    You folks don't seem to know the subtle difference between "cavorting" and "rollicking and frolicking"
    He was "rollicking & frollicking" all over the country picking up stray mutts.
    I'm guessing that at least part of his trip was business as he did spend time "torture testing" his vehicle alternator.
    I imagine that if you are traveling in "high heat" that the belly bag would be a better choice than an additional cover garment and probably much more comfortable than a synthetic blend "Please Shoot Me First" Vest.
    The only real advantage to the vest would be that you could have carried a spare alternator in one of those many deep vest pockets.
    Traveling when it is super hot? Remember these wise words.
    Light Colors & 100% COTTON Will Keep You From Getting Hot And Rotten

Lead Moderator
    I wear shorts and a t-shirt with underarmor on under the t shirt. Seems to work well. Just keep the t shirt untucked. And I am carrying a full size USP HK.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    First of all, what's WRONG with "cavorting?"
    Nothing!

But imagine in this heat moving oak furniture up and down stairs...

Welcome back, Soldier.

Glad the trip was a safe one.

Not to hijack the thread, but may we assume there will be pictures of the new member of the family posted soon?

I know all about that heat - I spent a few years living in AR, LA, and TX. Sometimes it feels like someone hung ten wet blankets on you as soon as you walked out the door.

SSKC

Soldier,

In Texas, we don't cavort too much, but we have been known to mosey and ponder.

Lot's of history in the Fort Worth stockyards (and Fort Worth in general)--I was born and raised there. Best steak hands down is at Cattlemen's in the middle of the stockyards. My brother who serves on attack subs has the steaks shipped to him in Connecticut when he's not out lobbing Tomahawks into Iraq or sneaking around underwater. The family and I spend a lot of time in the pineywoods and hill country camping (and maybe a little cavorting...).

I hope you make it back to Texas soon, and thanks for leaving some cash with us.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Smile Pup Pic!

Quote Originally Posted by SSKC
    Not to hijack the thread, but may we assume there will be pictures of the new member of the family posted soon?SSKC
    Here ya go. Hope she posts okay. Pic was taken by my PHONE camera today. Pup is three months old tomorrow and weighs about 25 pounds.
    Attached Images

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by Camjr
    Soldier,

In Texas, we don't cavort too much, but we have been known to mosey and ponder.

Lot's of history in the Fort Worth stockyards (and Fort Worth in general)--I was born and raised there. Best steak hands down is at Cattlemen's in the middle of the stockyards. My brother who serves on attack subs has the steaks shipped to him in Connecticut when he's not out lobbing Tomahawks into Iraq or sneaking around underwater. The family and I spend a lot of time in the pineywoods and hill country camping (and maybe a little cavorting...).

I hope you make it back to Texas soon, and thanks for leaving some cash with us.
    I agree, Cattlemans makes a great steak. One of the best.

Although, we spent some time at a dude ranch up in the panhandle in May, and the steaks we had cooked out on an open mesquite fire may have topped Cattlemans. I guess I need to get back by Cattlemans to refresh my memory, so I can compare.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Administrator

Thumbs up Oh That's Right

That was a Mosey & Ponder Trip.
    I stand corrected.

What is that little creature? Somebody sell you a Black Bear cub?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Cute critter you got there, Soldier. Three months and 25 pounds? I'll bet she's got some paws on her!

SSKC

REally nice little doggie there, looks like it will growup to be big one. No chilli report, love the benas and stuff down that way.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

What about SASHAYING?

Didn't you boys ever sash shay?

Is that anything like "swing and sway with Sammy Kaye" ?
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links