Issue with the boss

Issue with the boss

This is a discussion on Issue with the boss within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My boss and I go back a few years. I've worked with him for sometime now. He owns his own business (restaurant) and he's fairly ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Issue with the boss

My boss and I go back a few years. I've worked with him for sometime now. He owns his own business (restaurant) and he's fairly conservative. He really doesn't like liberals. He does support gun ownership (he has one), but still seems a little "brainwashed" on the way guns are portrayed in the media... if that makes sense. He's not really gung-ho about it. Like he understands enough to know that guns aren't bad, but still says things like "Guns shouldn't be in schools", and "There is no need for an AR-15." He knows I carry, and probably knows I have the gun in my car while I'm on the clock, and he's not against me carrying. He has no policy that says I can't carry or have it on the property, nor has never said it. I'm pretty sure he doesn't care that I at least have it in the car.

Now my issue is this... If I were to carry it (while working) without asking and he found out he'd more then likely be the type to flip a lid, but wouldn't fire me or write me up... I'd probably at most get a long lecture.

I feel weird asking him if I can carry it while working, or at least bring it in and put it in my bag, because while I know he supports it, I know he's a little brainwashed too and would probably say "no" or something along those lines without thinking about it first. And just bringing it up in casual conversation is off because he knows I carry and one thing leads to another. What should I do in order to carry at work, or at least bring it in with me in my bag?

Assistant Administrator
    If he has known you carry for some time - and has not as I understand it asked you directly if you are carrying when at work - is anything gonna be any different if you do carry at work?

Surely this is concealed is concealed?

Assuming I am getting the drift of what you are saying.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Your personal safety should be the priority, Period. Whether or not you should ask him first or just try to keep it concealed is really up to you. Personally i choose to conceal my weapon from everyone I can, including my boss. Good luck your decision.

I don't know your relationship with your boss, so that may affect what choice you make. If you ask and he says, "No", then you would be in violation of his stated policy if you carried. If you carry concealed and don't mention it, you have a chance to protect yourself should the need arise.

Personally, I would carry in a Smartcarry and not ask. That method of carry minimizes your chances of being discovered, and it can be a fast draw if practiced.

The only he would find out is if you had to use it. If you have to, your job is the last thing that will be on your mind. Better to walk away from a job than to walk away from your life. IMHO...
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

I agree with the other posts. Concealed is concealed. If you should get caught, apologize letting him know that since there wasn't a policy you didn't know he would have a problem with it, and that you feel strongly about your personal protection. I highly doubt anything bad would happen other than him asking you not to carry anymore. With a smart carry it would be very hard for anyone to tell at all.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

I have never used smart carry. I have a OWB holster. For some reason I feel that I'll stick out a lot even with a smartcarry or IWB holster.

Assistant Administrator
    This sounds like the ideal situation for pocket carry - and if your normal piece is too large then consider a pocket rocket - just for work. Even ankle with something small enough could work too maybe.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I agree with what's been said so far. I am NOT a fan of off-body (gym bag) carry. Since you would look pretty silly carrying a gym bag around with you all day long, I'll assume that you're going to leave the gym bag somewhere in the restaurant. Now you have a loaded gun lying around outside of your control. Just a thought...

Good luck.

P95,

I carry a G36 and it is my most compact gun as of now. The problem with it, while the length is small and it is light... its not exactly the thinnest gun in the world. So I have issues with really concealing it without wearing a jacket or untucked shirt etc... At work I have to wear non-baggy jeans and a T-shirt which has to be tucked in. So if it were in my pocket or even in a smart carry while it would be concealed, it would also be rather obvious. With my boss knowing I carry in my private life, it would be a sore thumb and I'm sure it would cause an issue.

Don't ask and don't tell - otherwise you might get the answer you don't want to hear.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

The Glock 36 is thick. Does your budget allow for another gun at this time?

Keltec .380 in a pocket?
    Snubby in an ankle holster?
    Thinner gun IWB or Smartcarry?

especially since there is no written policy against it i would carry.
    even if he were to found out without you using it - very unlikely especially if u use some kind of deep concealment - at least you can say, hey, theres nothing that says i cant, and if necessary stop carrying after that.
    he cant just fire you for doing something perfectly legal with no policy against it.
    he can ask you to stop carrying after he founds out- which he wont.

learned as a kid that asking forgiveness is easier than asking for permission

You are worried about your boss saying no but I don't think him saying yes is good thing for you either.

In fact, asking him, after reading your description of him, I think is a terrible tactical move. First, who else is he going to tell and do you want everyone to know you carry. I think to be safe, you should assume he will tell everyone if you do carry. Two, is he now going to act differently towards others because he has you behind him with a gun. Maybe he is not that type of guy, but then again, maybe he is.

Could you imagine what he might say to a belligerent customer or even worse to an armed robber? As I read your post the only thing that kept popping into my head was imagining your boss getting robbed and during the robbery he looks over at you and says: "You have a gun, why don't you do something!"

I just don't think asking him is going to turnout good for you regardless of his answer.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

First, if you ask you not only open yourself to a "no" but a follow up of "keep it off the property as long as we are on the subject". If he hasn't said anything and you are pretty sure he knows you have guns, leave it at that. If it becomes know you can always plead ignorance. Second, based on your dress at work, I think you need to invest in a better carry rig and gun. A Kel Tec or Kahr Arms in an IWB rig would work better perhaps.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links